Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

Took my truck down to the repair shop to have new u-joints installed, the shop says I need a new drive shaft (front) and they couldn't get one so they decided not to do the work and told me to come pick up the truck... Last time I go there!!!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvw57
Took my truck down to the repair shop to have new u-joints installed, the shop says I need a new drive shaft (front) and they couldn't get one so they decided not to do the work and told me to come pick up the truck... Last time I go there!!!
I'll have that shaft pulled tomorrow morning

Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

My thanks CUpgt, I know the shaft isn't that hard to replace, I just don't have much time these days and with the kid's car burning up Tuesday, it puts a cramp on vehicles around here. Picking up a rental today thanks to the overpriced insurance he had, and the threat of the blizzard that may or may not happen today. Maybe I will have to stay home from work today. I am so ready for warmer weather!!

No pressure for the drive shaft, not sure when I will get to it myself!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvw57
My thanks CUpgt, I know the shaft isn't that hard to replace, I just don't have much time these days and with the kid's car burning up Tuesday, it puts a cramp on vehicles around here. Picking up a rental today thanks to the overpriced insurance he had, and the threat of the blizzard that may or may not happen today. Maybe I will have to stay home from work today. I am so ready for warmer weather!!

No pressure for the drive shaft, not sure when I will get to it myself!
Just got it pulled and boxed. I'll get you shipping info later today.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on my window regulator bushing repair:

Overall an easy fix looking back. Once I had the new bushings in, testing it out when I rolled up the window I had about an 1/8" gap between the window and frame. I tried for an hour to fix that gap but finally gave up. Put the door panel back on then as I was starting it to pull it out of the garage I tried again and it closed all of the way. No explanation on that one...

This weekend installing my cb antenna on the spare tire carrier. Wondering if my 12' of RG58 will be enough to run from the front to the back door.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jamescphillips
Update on my window regulator bushing repair:

Overall an easy fix looking back. Once I had the new bushings in, testing it out when I rolled up the window I had about an 1/8" gap between the window and frame. I tried for an hour to fix that gap but finally gave up. Put the door panel back on then as I was starting it to pull it out of the garage I tried again and it closed all of the way. No explanation on that one...

This weekend installing my cb antenna on the spare tire carrier. Wondering if my 12' of RG58 will be enough to run from the front to the back door.
12' will be cutting it close I think, probably will be too short. My CB is mounted on my dash and the antenna mounted on the rear door. The coax runs between the dash and windshield over the the passenger side and up the A pillar to the roof(my headliner is removed). It runs back to the D pillar and down behind trim near the tail light. I pulled the rear door panel and snaked the coax through the stock wiring loom gaiter into the cargo door. My stock tire carrier is also gone which left 6 holes in the rear door. I plugged the 3 on the drivers side and the lowest one on the passenger side. The antenna mount is bolted to the door through the upper passenger hole, and the coax comes through the middle hole on the passenger side and is sealed with silicone.
I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
12' will be cutting it close I think, probably will be too short. My CB is mounted on my dash and the antenna mounted on the rear door. The coax runs between the dash and windshield over the the passenger side and up the A pillar to the roof(my headliner is removed). It runs back to the D pillar and down behind trim near the tail light. I pulled the rear door panel and snaked the coax through the stock wiring loom gaiter into the cargo door. My stock tire carrier is also gone which left 6 holes in the rear door. I plugged the 3 on the drivers side and the lowest one on the passenger side. The antenna mount is bolted to the door through the upper passenger hole, and the coax comes through the middle hole on the passenger side and is sealed with silicone.
I'll see if I can dig up some pics.
Good to know. I have my cb mounted just left of the shifter, basically on the inside of the hump next to the OBD plug. I was going to run the cable under the carpet to the rear door...and pulling it through the wiring loom into the door (probably similar to what you did). I'll test it this weekend and then order a longer cable if necessary.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hit a frozen rut way too fast, and found out why my exhaust was sounding a little louder than normal for the past few weeks.... inlet pipe to the center muffler snapped clean off at the weld. Redneck'd it by cutting the muffler out and sticking in a length of straight pipe I had lying around, sounds pretty badass. Back on the road and total cost = zero. Perfect.

Last edited by ajnolin; 02-20-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

About to purchase rear brake calipers, rotors, 8 auto lite copper spark plugs, distributor cap, and green grease from autozone. They have a 20% off deal for orders over $100. Free shipping on orders over $75. And ordering some kingsborne spark plug wires (8mm) they are $53 shipped.

U-joints and tie rod ends (ball joints) use the same kind of grease right?

Last edited by calebbo; 02-21-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jamescphillips
Good to know. I have my cb mounted just left of the shifter, basically on the inside of the hump next to the OBD plug. I was going to run the cable under the carpet to the rear door...and pulling it through the wiring loom into the door (probably similar to what you did). I'll test it this weekend and then order a longer cable if necessary.
How my antenna is mounted to the rear door.
Name:  IMAG0956_zpsx99qcckf.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  72.4 KB

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?