Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Be patient and you will find parts at a price you can pay, my safety devices high rack cost me about $400 and a 45 min. Drive but I was looking for a year?

Same with suspension and such, if in a big rush you will spend big $, there is nothing wrong with used parts most of the time

Got my transmission back in, went in way easier then it came out

Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdemski
Since I've been stuck working midnights at work I've been looking up maintenance parts for everything that has probably never been done and realized that I can buy another entire D1 for the cost of a descent roof rack. Why the heck are these things so expensive?
Used ones will bring $400-700 because new ones are $1000-1200.

What Tom said. If you know the parts you want start hitting the forums and keep an eye out. Then when something pops up jump on it immediately. Good deals can be had, you just have to be quick.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Current price for my $360 rack new is $2300 at rovers north ouch and that's not the high one I have

Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Be patient and you will find parts at a price you can pay, my safety devices high rack cost me about $400 and a 45 min. Drive but I was looking for a year?

Same with suspension and such, if in a big rush you will spend big $, there is nothing wrong with used parts most of the time

Got my transmission back in, went in way easier then it came out
I was looking at the pictures from your transmission thread yesterday. I was amazed at how dry it actually was compared to mine. Mine normally has 4-6 drops below it when I park it anywhere to go along with the coolant and oil under the motor.

Drove the D1 to the gym yesterday morning after another midnight. Noticed I still have a consistent drip of coolant. When I got it my father had overfilled the overflow so I was hoping that was the case but it appears not. While I had it running in the driveway looking for where the coolant was coming from and noticed a what appears to be a tick/knock that you can't normally hear from the cab over the exhaust the previous owner put in. Time to do an oil change and look for shiny bits. If found I may have a very short experience with Land Rovers.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

If the tick is only heard with the hood open probly an exhaust flange gasket, trust me the motor tic in these engines is loud the aluminum block amplifies it

Think the pic is after I power washed the trans

Old 05-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up a set of '91 Range Rover wheels off Craig's List this morning, took them home and cleaned them up. Then dropped them off at Pep Boys to get a set of their Definity Dakota A/T2 tires installed on them. Right now they're "buy three get one free", with an instant discount, not a mail-in rebate. Drove over to the transmission shop that's got my D1, and put the RR wheels with new tires in the back. Talked to the trans shop owner, and he said they could probably install the 2" coil springs and longer shocks while they're at it, so I'll be dropping off those parts, along with the shock boots, after work on Tue. If they install the lift, I'll have them put on the RR wheels too, and put the stock D1 wheels/tires in the back. From reading some posts in here, a 2" lift should be fine with 235/85 tires, stock brake lines, e-brake cable, fuel-filler neck, etc. After all that's done, it'll be off to get the alignment checked, then a new headliner, then some new speakers...

Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by socal1200r
Picked up a set of '91 Range Rover wheels off Craig's List this morning, took them home and cleaned them up. Then dropped them off at Pep Boys to get a set of their Definity Dakota A/T2 tires installed on them. Right now they're "buy three get one free", with an instant discount, not a mail-in rebate. Drove over to the transmission shop that's got my D1, and put the RR wheels with new tires in the back. Talked to the trans shop owner, and he said they could probably install the 2" coil springs and longer shocks while they're at it, so I'll be dropping off those parts, along with the shock boots, after work on Tue. If they install the lift, I'll have them put on the RR wheels too, and put the stock D1 wheels/tires in the back. From reading some posts in here, a 2" lift should be fine with 235/85 tires, stock brake lines, e-brake cable, fuel-filler neck, etc. After all that's done, it'll be off to get the alignment checked, then a new headliner, then some new speakers...
You may need a slight camel cut on the back of the rear wheel arch. Nothing extreme, usually just an inch or so.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Camel Trophy

Helped a buddy take a tree down. His chainsaw was acting wonky so I had to use a ****** block, double up the line, and yank it down.
Name:  IMAG1548_zpsxgvpconi.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  IMAG1549_zpsgrl8dit2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  130.8 KB

Old 05-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Got my ignition unstuck, repainted the black on my hood and touched up black on rear bumper, decals should be here tommorow

Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Helped a buddy take a tree down. His chainsaw was acting wonky so I had to use a ****** block, double up the line, and yank it down.

Ya'll need a real saw!
Name:  IMAG0248_zpscda0084e.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  207.5 KB

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?