Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by socal1200r
Good idea...I'll crawl underneath the truck over the weekend and take a look at those sway bars. Will removing them impact the steering or ride quality on the street? I'm going to try and get the alignment checked over the weekend, I could ask the shop to remove them while they're at it?
I'm going to go ahead and say this now. I hope you have deep pockets. Having a shop do the very simple things like a suspension lift and sway bars is going to add up quick. One of the great things about D1's is that 90% of the truck can be unbolted and fix by your average shadetree mechanic. Just wait till your truck needs brake pads and rotors, I'm pretty sure Midas won't be doing any $100 brake job on your Disco.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:54 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Check these RRC TWR wheels out Rob...; 1995 Range Rover

They're the most popular and getting harder to find.
The '94 D1 I just picked up in So Cal has RRC wheels on it, and the PO gave me a set of D1 wheels with 255/65 tires on them (good for spares, but that's about it). Those D1 wheels have 5 spokes, but the spokes are more squarish-looking, and have a slight bend that goes back to the outer rim. I know, kinda hard to picture those, but had my D1 came with those wheels, I would've kept them.

Last edited by socal1200r; 05-31-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:01 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
I'm going to go ahead and say this now. I hope you have deep pockets. Having a shop do the very simple things like a suspension lift and sway bars is going to add up quick. One of the great things about D1's is that 90% of the truck can be unbolted and fix by your average shadetree mechanic. Just wait till your truck needs brake pads and rotors, I'm pretty sure Midas won't be doing any $100 brake job on your Disco.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm not one to wrench on my vehicles for the pure enjoyment of wrenching (I'd rather spend my time at the shooting range!). There are some things that I'll do, but most things I'd rather have a shop do it. I did fix my rear window problem by jumping the wires, which I found in the forum. Also fixed an inop rear brake light, which involved removing the tail light assembly and messing around with the contact between the bulb holder and the assembly. So I'm willing to do some things, depending on my mood and "to do" list. Regarding the sway bars, if they're doing an alignment anyway, might as well have them remove the sway bars. Now, if for some reason they won't, i.e. potential liability, then I'll crawl under and do it myself.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The '94 D1 I just picked up in So Cal has RRC wheels on it, and the PO gave me a set of D1 wheels with 255/65 tires on them (good for spares, but that's about it). Those D1 wheels have 5 spokes, but the spokes are more squarish-looking, and have a slight bend that goes back to the outer rim. I know, kinda hard to picture those, but had my D1 came with those wheels, I would've kept them.
If he gave you Boost wheels they are worth a whole lot more than spares!
Name:  boost1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  118.0 KB
I sold mine for $600

Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Mudding

From what I remember, the extra wheels that the PO gave me when I bought the '94 D1 back in So Cal looked like these, but they were a darker gray color, as opposed to the bright aluminum. That one's not going to get lifted or anything, so next set of tires might be 255/65s, or 235/75s...

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-land-rover-discovery-seriesi.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-land-rover-discovery-1995-1998-.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-1998_land_rover_discovery-1.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Mudding

Anyone have a good source for replacement front suspension parts? I just had the front end aligned on my D1 after having some 2" lift coils and longer shocks installed. They highly recommended replacing the "tie rods and sleeves", because "excessive rust covered with undercoating, already has broken bolts." Not sure exactly what these are, but the mechanic who did the work described them bascially as two long rods, one on each side of the front axle, with some other parts connecting them. Said they might come as one assembly, but if not, they're still easy enough to replace.

While I was poking underneath the front end, I see where the sway bar is (and the steering stabilizer!), in relation to the front drive shaft, so yeah, I think that's gotta go, probably along with the rear sway bar too. I'll probably get those removed when I get these "tie rods and sleeves" replaced, so if anyone knows a good source for these susp parts and a steering stabilizer, holla!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

Yesterday I got a call from the kid, says the brakes are making noise when they are applied He was only a few miles from home so I said to drive it home and park it. Today I pulled the drivers side wheel and the pads look like they are fairly new. I pulled the pass side and there was a definite wear ring on the inside of the rim.... Appears the caliper lower bolt is missing. I didn't put brakes in this so it must have been since I got it. I did find the correct grade bolt to put in there, just not the right size head, but it will do the job for now. I'm thinking someone messed up the brake job before I got it.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Anyone have a good source for replacement front suspension parts? I just had the front end aligned on my D1 after having some 2" lift coils and longer shocks installed. They highly recommended replacing the "tie rods and sleeves", because "excessive rust covered with undercoating, already has broken bolts." Not sure exactly what these are, but the mechanic who did the work described them bascially as two long rods, one on each side of the front axle, with some other parts connecting them. Said they might come as one assembly, but if not, they're still easy enough to replace.

While I was poking underneath the front end, I see where the sway bar is (and the steering stabilizer!), in relation to the front drive shaft, so yeah, I think that's gotta go, probably along with the rear sway bar too. I'll probably get those removed when I get these "tie rods and sleeves" replaced, so if anyone knows a good source for these susp parts and a steering stabilizer, holla!
Call Justin at Lucky 8. Get HD steering rods and new tie rod ends.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Installed my Superwinch LP8500. Mounted the solenoid behind the grill and mounted the plug for the remote in the grill.
Name:  IMAG1079_zpsb00f8f0e.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  274.7 KB

Name:  IMAG1081_zps380b6261.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  228.6 KB

Old 05-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Mudding

Is Justin / Lucky 8 in a vendor list somewhere? Thanks for the correct parts description, that helps a lot! And man, that's one BEEFY looking bumper setup you have there. I like how the headlights are protected, but it's unobstructed in the center, where the radiator is.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?