Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Not sure why the photo is sideways and I'm too lazy to try to fix it.

My '96 turned 2,00,000 miles on the last day of 2014.

Engine still runs strong(ish), so I'm thinking that I will be putting in new O2 sensors up stream. Fuel mileage is right around 11mpg around town and 13 mixed mostly highway. Plugs and wires will be done at the same time. Strange, truck still has the original cats. They are stamped 1995. No codes, so I'm not going to mess with them.

In the cold weather the oil light is on for about seven seconds. This is using Schaeffer 5w40 full synthetic. I guess an oil pump will be needed sometime in the future.

My oldest son and I just replaced the front shocks the other day. Definitely helped the ride.

We picked this truck up about 5 or 6 years ago with 148,000 miles on the clock. Other than regular maintenance and three starters I haven't needed to do a lot to it. We have regularly driven from Saint Louis to Dubuque, Iowa and Kansas City over the last several years and loaded her up for a couple family vacations that included the Smoky mountains.

Oddly enough she's been more reliable than our 2004 suburban.

I'm hoping to get another 50,000 miles out of the engine. The harder part may be keeping my older two kids from trying to claim it as their own.

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-20141231_150748.jpg  
Old 01-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took my stock rear bumper off, cleaned up some surface rust and resprayed it. Also swapped the rear door seal with one from a DII.

Then I ordered a set of new rear mud flaps since I ripped one off doing some light wheeling in the Quinault, WA area. I'll install the new ones with stainless bolts and nylock nuts so I can remove them before negotiating rocks.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
Not sure why the photo is sideways and I'm too lazy to try to fix it.

My '96 turned 2,00,000 miles on the last day of 2014.

Engine still runs strong(ish), so I'm thinking that I will be putting in new O2 sensors up stream. Fuel mileage is right around 11mpg around town and 13 mixed mostly highway. Plugs and wires will be done at the same time. Strange, truck still has the original cats. They are stamped 1995. No codes, so I'm not going to mess with them.

In the cold weather the oil light is on for about seven seconds. This is using Schaeffer 5w40 full synthetic. I guess an oil pump will be needed sometime in the future.

My oldest son and I just replaced the front shocks the other day. Definitely helped the ride.

We picked this truck up about 5 or 6 years ago with 148,000 miles on the clock. Other than regular maintenance and three starters I haven't needed to do a lot to it. We have regularly driven from Saint Louis to Dubuque, Iowa and Kansas City over the last several years and loaded her up for a couple family vacations that included the Smoky mountains.

Oddly enough she's been more reliable than our 2004 suburban.

I'm hoping to get another 50,000 miles out of the engine. The harder part may be keeping my older two kids from trying to claim it as their own.
Nice! Mine has 130k on it and is running strong aside from some fluid leaks here and there. Hoping to get 250k out of her as well.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MM3846
Nice! Mine has 130k on it and is running strong aside from some fluid leaks here and there. Hoping to get 250k out of her as well.
My '97 hit 97K this week. To celebrate, the Check Engine light kicked on. Hopefully it was just a strange coincidence caused by me forgetting to click the gas cap > 3 times.

It also has some minor fluid "seeping" that keeps it true to the Land Rover tradition.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I got the rare chance to 'see' my 98, add oil and brake fluid. I predict a brake job next summer as it seems to be using brake fluid. The wife drives about 5 miles a day with it so it will most likely make it to next summer. Took 4 months for the brake light to come on for a low fluid level...

Old 01-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a while since I posted anything in here, so it's time to catch up.

My Check Engine Light came on, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem that anyone other than the dealer can tell me EXACTLY what the codes are. My D1 has over 150K miles, and I tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours to see if that would reset the CEL, no joy. Something's definitely going on, because my mileage dropped from about 15+ mpg down to 11+ mpg. Due to the miles, I went ahead an got a new Y-pipe with new cats ($320) and new O2 sensors installed ($50 ea), but haven't been able to get the CEL reset yet.

Went to the local Pick and Pull, and bought a speaker enclosure for the rear door ($6), front grill ($20), rear cargo cover ($20), and switches ($5 ea) that are on either side of the gauge cluster (4 on the left, 4 on the right). Some of my switches weren't working, and some didn't light up at night, so that was mildly annoying. So now I have a crack-free rear door speaker enclosure, cargo cover, and all 8 switches now work and light up at night. I painted the speaker enclosure with some bedliner coating, and while I was at it, I also painted the wiper arms and side mirror bodies. That'll keep those things from fading in the sun, and since they're black anyway, it blends right in.

On the front grill, I'm thinking of making a DIY Saudi grill, and checked out the sticky. I've already cut it, but couldn't remember the name of that mesh that was used (gutter guard). I'll see if I can pick some up over the next few days, and get some epoxy of some kind to glue the mesh in place. Might look for some kind of epoxy that applies with a caulk gun, to get a good thick layer so it won't pop away from the plastic.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Bring it by if you're in San Diego. I can probably clear it or at least point you in the right direction.

QUOTE=socal1200r;498310]Been a while since I posted anything in here, so it's time to catch up.

My Check Engine Light came on, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem that anyone other than the dealer can tell me EXACTLY what the codes are. My D1 has over 150K miles, and I tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours to see if that would reset the CEL, no joy. Something's definitely going on, because my mileage dropped from about 15+ mpg down to 11+ mpg. Due to the miles, I went ahead an got a new Y-pipe with new cats ($320) and new O2 sensors installed ($50 ea), but haven't been able to get the CEL reset yet.

Went to the local Pick and Pull, and bought a speaker enclosure for the rear door ($6), front grill ($20), rear cargo cover ($20), and switches ($5 ea) that are on either side of the gauge cluster (4 on the left, 4 on the right). Some of my switches weren't working, and some didn't light up at night, so that was mildly annoying. So now I have a crack-free rear door speaker enclosure, cargo cover, and all 8 switches now work and light up at night. I painted the speaker enclosure with some bedliner coating, and while I was at it, I also painted the wiper arms and side mirror bodies. That'll keep those things from fading in the sun, and since they're black anyway, it blends right in.

On the front grill, I'm thinking of making a DIY Saudi grill, and checked out the sticky. I've already cut it, but couldn't remember the name of that mesh that was used (gutter guard). I'll see if I can pick some up over the next few days, and get some epoxy of some kind to glue the mesh in place. Might look for some kind of epoxy that applies with a caulk gun, to get a good thick layer so it won't pop away from the plastic.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by socal1200r

My Check Engine Light came on, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem that anyone other than the dealer can tell me EXACTLY what the codes are. My D1 has over 150K miles, and I tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours to see if that would reset the CEL, no joy. Something's definitely going on, because my mileage dropped from about 15+ mpg down to 11+ mpg. Due to the miles, I went ahead an got a new Y-pipe with new cats ($320) and new O2 sensors ......
Most auto parts stores will loan you a scanner to read and erase the codes. I just did it the other day at an Oreilly's. Someone here should be able to help diagnose what the codes might be indicating is in need of repair/replacement.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by socal1200r

My Check Engine Light came on, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem that anyone other than the dealer can tell me EXACTLY what the codes are. My D1 has over 150K miles, and I tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours to see if that would reset the CEL, no joy. Something's definitely going on, because my mileage dropped from about 15+ mpg down to 11+ mpg.
VatoZone reads codes for free.
Or grab a Bluetooth OBDII adapter from Ebay or Amzon and use the Torque App on your smart phone.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
You can drill them in place, I have.
How did you do this?

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?