Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RAM X mount for iPad.

Name:  00470a35.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  69.1 KB
Name:  e9f0ea57.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  69.3 KB

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Overlanding

@honda50r - where did you get your hardware for the sd rack??? =)

Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Looking good, Honda.

Tonight I got rid of a bit of frustration. My stupid hood release will no longer bug me nor require me using pliers to pull the cable.

And I installed some Sparco hood pins I got for $16 shipped on eBay.
I'm assuming you placed the pins in the same place this guy did:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stage1v...BonnetPins.htm

How long do the pins need to be? Were yours maxed out? How long are they?

I like this kit but not sure if they're long enough:
Ford Racing M-16700-A - Ford Racing Hood Latch and Pin Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Three Wheeling

I let my wife drive mine for the first time today!!!!!!! Wow, separation anxiety!!!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
I'm assuming you placed the pins in the same place this guy did:
Land Rover Anorak Technical Discovery I

How long do the pins need to be? Were yours maxed out? How long are they?

I like this kit but not sure if they're long enough:
Ford Racing M-16700-A - Ford Racing Hood Latch and Pin Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Yeah I installed the pins in the same location. That guy most likely installed the latch portion left/right because I had to go through two layers of aluminum for the single screw towards the front. I also used SS machine screws and locknuts vs the supplied SS sheet metal screws and retaining clips. When I get a chance I'll reinforce the mount above and under the sheet metal like that guy did. Remove all the hood latch guts before starting. You'll have the hood up/down/up/down a lot and having to deal with the release cable will drive you nut

I wouldn't recommend the "drop the hood" technique that guy used. I installed the pins and put a tiny dab of the silver anti-sieze on the top of each pin. I then slowly lowered the hood till it made contact with the pins. I raised the hood, marked where the anti-sieze transferred. I then repeated the process two more times to verify I had the exact spot. I always use a punch to make a divot, then start with a small drillbit and work my way up. Step bits are great for this.

The Sparco pins are 5" long, and while they aren't totally topped out there isn't much to spare. I kept the factory "hook" and centering pin/spring. The pin/spring keeps everything toight, and the hook is just a failsafe. If the pins you like aren't long enough you can grab one of those long hex nut couplings. Sorry, I don't know the technical term. They look like s long nut, hex shaped, and are fully threaded for joining two pieces of threaded rod.

I oriented my pins in such a way that they wouldn't be accidently unlatched by trees/brush coming up the hood.

Last edited by fishEH; 05-31-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Installed my 3" RTE springs today.
Also realized my rear pads are just about toast. And it looks like one of my rear calipers has blown a ring out, no leaking though. Kinda irritating because these calipers were new 2-3 years ago and the pads I replaced last July.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Installed my 3" RTE springs today.
Also realized my rear pads are just about toast. And it looks like one of my rear calipers has blown a ring out, no leaking though. Kinda irritating because these calipers were new 2-3 years ago and the pads I replaced last July.
Check your wheel bearings a little bit of play in the hub will eat pads very quickly

Where's the pic with 3" springs?? Can you measure perch to perch front and rear and text it to me? thanks buddy

Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drove MJ the 1998 50th 125 miles and not a sign of running hot with NO A/C with A/C topped out at 210 in traffic. Now in to the LEAKS then a Headliner is in order.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Overlanding

I sometimes glare at my broken disco, (nothing serious this time), but only out of the corner of my eye. It doesn't like to be stared at when its sick.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Removed my roof rack, sanded and washed the roof, painted the rust spots on the roof, put the roof rack back.
I was also going to make sure my a/c drains are clear but I am going to wait until my next oil change in a week or so.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?