Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Spencers 98 Disco Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to each his own, but I know if I left mine out I would literally bake to death in the summer.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
to each his own, but I know if I left mine out I would literally bake to death in the summer.
Yea i can understand people hating on it, but I like it. And dude I live in louisiana. Its a whole nother level of hot down here. And I still find NO difference. But I do have a white roof. Wait so do you! The roof isn't even hot to touch.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch

This thing is deceptively weak, the transmission DOES NOT shift down like a normal car. If you want to get some more power you need to shift yourself.

This truck shifts WAYY to early and honestly Im not sure if it EVER goes into first gear by its self.

Shift yourself.
This is very true. I am always shifting down to 3 and even 2 manually fairly often. Especially since I live @ 6,000 ft in elev. (to start out, then with many adventures taking upwards of 10,000 ft) and climb mountains with this thing.

I do wish the Discovery had more horses...

Last edited by 98roverguy; 09-26-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Im going to start listing everything that I do to my discovery here. I promise to include many photos. Ill take many pictures starting tomorrow of everything I have done.

Heres my story.

First of all I was always fascinated by european vehicles. From the first time I drove one I knew I would never drive an american vehicle. Theres just something about them. One day I met a guy a work, who's now a good friend, who had a 97 range rover. He took bad care of it, and it always talked about the issued but how much he loved it. I rode in it a few times and just liked it. I liked the way the windows were so low and how everything felt solid there was just something special about it.

At the time I had a lifted 1998 4runner with 285/75/16s. I really liked the offroad look not to mention I loved offroading [barely consider it that in louisiana] however I hated how with a 6" lift and 33"s the frame would bottom out on a little hole. I decided to sell it and get a land rover. Everything I read said not to, with all the issues they had and such. My 4runner had 200,000 miles and no issues ever. But there is truly something romantic about a land rover, I had to have it.

I searched craigslist nationally day and night. I saw a bunch of really good deals but they all needed fixing, which I was VERY afraid to do, because, well you know its a land rover! I dont regret getting my truck but it would have been nice to save a few thousand and fix one up.

Anyways I found one in South Carolina. 95K on, looked good, looked clean. I talked the guy down to 4,000 and flew out to pick it up.

Twin Turbo Prop Baby

Drove it home 800 miles and it gave me no issues!

Looks just like the 96 I just bought. Except I don't have the rear jumpers in it. I've owned it almost 2 months now and still have not driven it... just been working on it... It's going to be sweet when I'm finally done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NGARover

Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have my headliner out. I find some good high quality duct tape works well for routing the wire bundles along the edges of the roof ribs, take your time and run the tape straight it don't look half bad. I taped the switch for my rear sunroof back in place that way. I removed all the junk for the rear air since mine does not have rear air.

I also removed the carpets and most of the interior trim panels until I fix the small leaks at the rear Alpine windows. Then I will decide how to redress the interior.

A little floor pan surface rust where the carpets held water in up front and in the rear cargo area.

I would say you were extremely lucky to fly out and pick one up and drive it that far home with no issues.

How is your high lift attached. I have the same jack myself.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing, you talk about a fascination with European Automobiles, I don't consider English (LR, Jaguar,Morris Garage. or RR) made vehicles anything similar to German(MB,Porsche,VW,BMW), Italian(Ferrari,Fiat), Swedish (Volvo) or Japanese (Datsun,Honda,Toyota) to have hardly anything in common. They are all distinctly different with their own idiosyncracies. Of couse I have omitted some.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
One thing, you talk about a fascination with European Automobiles, I don't consider English (LR, Jaguar,Morris Garage. or RR) made vehicles anything similar to German(MB,Porsche,VW,BMW), Italian(Ferrari,Fiat), Swedish (Volvo) or Japanese (Datsun,Honda,Toyota) to have hardly anything in common. They are all distinctly different with their own idiosyncracies. Of couse I have omitted some.
I dont see what your getting at? I mean LR and BMW Audi And Volkswagen ARE European.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

I would say you were extremely lucky to fly out and pick one up and drive it that far home with no issues.

How is your high lift attached. I have the same jack myself.
Yes I AM/WAS

It was attached with two 1/2 bolts though holes already in the bumper. it is now removed and if I ever think Ill be needing it I made a mount that comes off the tire mount,