Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Steering Groan at Standstill

Old 07-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Groan at Standstill

First the background. My 1998 D1 was down for a couple weeks. Initially I had just planned on replacing the low pressure supply hose from the reservoir to the pump and the o-rings on the pressure hose connections to address a power steering leak that was persisting. Upon pulling things apart though, I found a leak on the back of the pump as well. The pump I have on there is the Chevy pump, which I installed 7 years ago. So, I ordered another one of the Chevy pumps and got everything installed yesterday. I refilled the system with Redline power steering fluid and bled it, per the Rave manual at the screw on the steering box.

Everything worked great upon startup, steering was smooth and responsive. The only thing I noticed was that when turning the wheel clockwise only, at a standstill or very low speed, there was a groaning sound. This is distinctly different from the power steering whine/groan associated with low fluid, failing pumps and air in the system. It's much lower and has a slight vibration to it. Listing to it from outside the car it appears to be coming from below the car: tie rods, dampener, drag link area. It's definitely not coming from the new pump and doesn't seem to becoming from the steering box, although it's possible. I can feel a slight vibration through the brush bar that accompanies the sound.

I need to order more of the Redline fluid, as I used the entire bottle refilling the system. Once it's here I'll try running figure 8s and flushing the system more fully.

Does anyone have a better idea of what the issue is or any further suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by eandrews2; 07-27-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The D1 power steering takes ATF, not power steering fluid. Not sure if the Redline stuff is compatible.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:23 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the response, good thought. The Red Line is compatible though. I actually called them to confirm before purchasing it. Here's the description from Red Line:

RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron, Dexron II, or Dexron III, Ford Type-F, Mercon, or M2C138-CJ

I've also been told by the techs at Atlantic British that the new power steering fluids work just fine for the D1 and most of their customers have switched to using them from ATF.

Add to that the pump is a Chevy part, which calls for power steering fluid and not ATF. I also forgot to mention that the steering box is aftermarket, bought new 7 years ago and takes either. I'm thinking I can rule out the fluid based on all of the above, unless I'm missing something?

Old 07-27-2017, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by eandrews2
Thanks for the response, good thought. The Red Line is compatible though. I actually called them to confirm before purchasing it. Here's the description from Red Line:

RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron, Dexron II, or Dexron III, Ford Type-F, Mercon, or M2 C138-CJ

I've also been told by the techs at Atlantic British that the new power steering fluids work just fine for the D1 and most of their customers have switched to using them from ATF.

Add to that the pump is a Chevy part, which calls for power steering fluid and not ATF. I also forgot to mention that the steering box is aftermarket, bought new 7 years ago and takes either. I'm thinking I can rule out the fluid based on all of the above, unless I'm missing something?
In that case, you can probably rule out the fluid. The D1 manual specifies either Dexron II or III, can't remember which. Redline makes great products so nothing to worry about there.

You should probably do a basic check of the bushings in the steering system, like tie rod ends, drag link ends, damper bushes, etc.

Sometimes, a busted swivel pin bearing can make some noise too. You can check for that by jacking up the front wheels and checking for play in them; hold the wheels at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and give them a little shake. If it moves, you could have a bad swivel pin bearing.

I should also add: About three weeks ago, I went on vacation so my D1 sat for about a week. When I drove it for the first time, I was getting a noise coming from the steering column. Ended up being the portion of the column in the firewall was squeaking against the rubber around it, so a little spray of WD-40 took care of that. Easy to get at from under the dash.

The following users liked this post:
eandrews2 (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Thanks for all the input. I'll try those suggestions over the weekend.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Generally when ya change a power steering pump you transfer over the pressure regulator from the old pump to the new pump (unless there isn't one) because not all vehicles use the same steering boxes and therefore there are different pressure regulators. The first step is to ensure you have enough fluid in your system, which you will soon do when your new fluid arrives, and make sure there isn't air in your system. Maybe that'll resolve the problem.

If it doesn't resolve the problem, taking pressure readings would probably be the next step to make sure the pump and the steering box are performing like they should. Otherwise, you're just guessing what the problem might be. But to do that, it's going to take an investment in time to rig up some fittings and a gauge (probably need two gauges -- one with a low range reading and one with a very high range like 1200 psi for high-range tests). I don't know what the RAVE manual has in it for steering box diagnosis but I recently read through a GM Unit Repair Manual on steering system diagnosis and there is a very specific set of tests which, after performed, will basically point you to the specific problem/s. I would assume similar tests are in the RAVE.

At the end of the day, it's probably because it's low on fluid, but if that doesn't do it, it's probably that the pump pressure is low. It's probably a lot simpler and quicker to find (or buy) a different regulator with slightly higher psi from the parts store or another vehicle (maybe a p-u).

People use Power Steering Fluid because it withstands the higher demands of the steering system better than ATF. A lot of auto manufacturers specifically say not to to use ATF for that reason. It's not that ATF won't work, but steerig fluid holds up better they claim. I know this is going to sound bad, but I have standardized on Walmart Power Steering Fluid for all my vehicles (because I have a lot). Its inexpensive and can be found about anywhere. Been using it for many years, no problems.

Last edited by Mark G; 07-30-2017 at 11:37 AM.