Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Trans Filter torx screw problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

>"Now, hypothetically, let's suppose that a friend of mine was doing this, and managed to break the bolts on the flange where the y-pipe connects to the muffler....."
IF, and I hope you are talking about the 2 studs circled in the pic then you are way ahead of the game. Be glad you didn't break 1 of the 6 manifold/y-pipe studs. As mentioned they can be a real PITA to fix.

2 OPTIONS: You need to cut/drill out the broken studs. This is easier with the y-pipe off the truck, BUT you chance breaking the manifold studs if you remove it again. LEAVE the y-pipe on, position the broken studs/flange at the 6 o'clock position and cut/grind off the studs. Then drill them out and replace the bolts with grade 8 hardened bits (use metal locknuts not nylon, & some anti-seize) and your done. I've done this many times. OR......

Get a 2 part Exhaust Flange Repair Kit: Just cut the old flange off, slip on the repair flange, and done. You can get the "kit" at any NAPA, Advance, AZ and they look like this > https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-36130

Old 03-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah! This is so helpful--thanks. I of course thought of getting under there and drilling them out earlier today--glad to see that's a fairly approachable possibility, though I'll have to borrow some tools. Of course, it sounds pretty sweet just the way it is.

Interesting about the manifold bolts--when I moved the cross member out of the way, it turns out I shouldn't have even messed with the Y pipe-muffler connection at the olive (and don't get me started on breaking the second bolt--that was dumb). I just removed the y pipe from the driver side manifold, and loosened on the passenger side. That gave me just enough wiggle room to bang the cross member out of the way (and, thankfully, I didn't actually have to remove it--just moved it back a bit.). I didn't have any issues with the bolts/studs on the manifold at all. I see now why you recommended replacing them.

Thanks again--I appreciate the time and knowledge.