Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Yippee! I'm Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Nooo - that would be the oil from the oil cooler and tranny cooler I hope, drained into same pan with the coolant. As opposed to being one with the coolant to begin with. Note lower rows plugged with mud and such, which doesn't let air by them.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirty rads don't exchange heat. Busted bent tubes don't exchange heat, bent fins dOnt exchange heat.

If the outside looks that bad just think the inside looks half that bad.
Buy the 232 radiator and see what's next

Be sure to use a real 50/50 mix too. Water exchanges heat far better than pure antifreeze

Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha, no worries. That is the coolers, I just left everything drain into one. My cooling system is mega clean, I promise. Rodded out twice now and plenty of drains, refills, drains, blown hoses, and bleeds lol.

Okay, good to hear those rather small broken fins sounds logical as to not cooling enough. I just wasn't sure if something that small was feasible to cause overheating, even slight overheating

Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

If you have digital temp gauge (scaner or ultra gauge), you could get warmed up to a steady temp, and then slip in a piece of cardboard to block off a portion of the rad, say 20%. See if temps jump up. If they do, it would indicate you are "on the edge" of the performance envelope. If they don't then rad is still capable of removing more heat per square inch. Don't block so much that you shoot up to 240F, etc.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey all went to buy the radiator since I have some free time and it was no longer listed. I looked for a number but couldn't come across one, I just messaged them instead. Anybody else have any info whether they're still selling or not?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm getting frustrated. I cannot find this 232 radiator. It has disappeared. Foreign amigo ont phone was no help. Someone mentioned they're manufacturing more?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by honda50r
I'm getting frustrated. I cannot find this 232 radiator. It has disappeared. Foreign amigo ont phone was no help. Someone mentioned they're manufacturing more?

1-888-311-5183 Discount auto body parts, ebay seller
"Prozone Radiator -- PROZONE RADIATOR, NEW -- 27.75 in. x 16.25 in. x 2.12 in. core size; A high quality, OE replacement radiator"

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Discolife
1-888-311-5183 Discount auto body parts, ebay seller
"Prozone Radiator -- PROZONE RADIATOR, NEW -- 27.75 in. x 16.25 in. x 2.12 in. core size; A high quality, OE replacement radiator"
I tried again, this time "Dennis" (with a hard accent) said it is most likely out of stock. I'll try again in a few weeks or just buy used. Whichever comes first.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

I found that the same rad is used in some Range Rovers, I just had an adapter issue with the tranny cooler line. I was so proud of my partz vulturez skills, about $50 at salvage yard. Got it installed, cranked up, no leaks, even when it warmed up. Then I went back inside the truck and holy cow, the oil light never went out. Oil cooler side of used rad was 95% blocked. Got my original rodded out. So OK to do used, but check all three of the radiators that are built as one unit, and have it flushed and rodded out before install if time permits. Thought I also saw a post where someone was planning on using a rad from Summitt Racing warehouse, perhaps with aftermarket oil and tranny coolers.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-29-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Drifting

This is going to be a shot in the dark, as I haven't experienced any of the overheating problems myself,...yet. But here goes.

When I first got my Discovery, and started pointing Google towards Land Rovers, the first article that came up was one warning about overheating, and saying that aluminum engines have some peculiarities to be aware of.
Supposedly, the aluminum "flakes off" over time, and that's where the problems with the radiator come from. The solution, allegedly, is to flush the crap out of everything, and get all the older antifreeze out. Maybe flush and refill repeatedly with water, until you think that all the old antifreeze is removed, heater hoses and all. Then, instead of using green antifreeze, get ORGANIC antifreeze, as (again, "allegedly") it won't cause the flaking of the aluminum to continue.

As I said, I haven't experienced this problem..yet. From what I gather, organic antifreeze is available from several European car manufacturers, I know Mercedes recommends it and it is available from them, as well as (I think) BMW. It's pricey, but after everything honda50 has done, it may be something that helps.

I hope so.

Quick Reply: Yippee! I'm Overheating