Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Radiator replacement vs. head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Radiator replacement vs. head gasket

I just bought a 1999 Disco II and had it inspected by my mechanic. There is a valve cover gasket leak, but no other major problems. The mechanic that sold it to me said he replaced the radiator and mass airflow sensor.

Okay, here's where it gets interesting. I went onto Craigslist to find Disco I wiper arms since I like those better, and find the Rover that I just purchased listed as salvage because of a blown head gasket (same Ohio Freemason plate on the front and same cracked headlight). Could it have been misdiagnosed? The temp gauge stays dead center between hot and cold, so it's hard for me to believe that it's a working gauge.

I plan to ask him in person about it, but since it's a Sunday I won't be able to get to my mechanic for advice until tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This can be a fairly simple solution to determine if heat stabilization is taking place.

Your mechanic (if he is a professional mechanic) must have access to a suitable professional scanner. Once connected into general data or dynamics of the PCM, he/she will be able to read live data observing engine temperature rise and hopefully block stabilization. This will determine if the engine AND its cooling system is a stabilized state.

Some scanners like the Autologic will allow the operator to even check the functioning of the gauges and the coolant temp gauge in particular.
The results will confirm whether there is cause for concern.
T/V

Old 06-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't really understand what you are asking.

Radiator problems, MAF problems and head gasket problems typically have different symptoms. So misdiagnosis by a pro mechanic is unlikely.

Conversely, head gasket problems are very common with these trucks, so it's somewhat likely they have been replaced at some point.

The temp gauge is useless, it doesn't show an overheat until the engine has reached damaging temperatures. You should buy an ultragauge, which is an add-on digital gauge that does tons of cool stuff. It's really a "must buy" for these trucks.

Also, you need to check your front drive shaft. If it hasn't been rebuilt or replaced, you need to do so immediately. They tend to fail with little warning and tear a hole in the transmission.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

You will have to find out if the HG's have been replaced or if someone put a bottle of Stop Leaks into it.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 PM
4wd Low

Alrighty...so a new gauge is a must. I ran downstairs first thing this morning to test the gauge. The engine had cooled and it took about twenty minutes for the gauge to reach the white area, where it remained stable. So I'm going to assume the gauge works, but that I do need to invest in a secondary. When I had my family mechanic (yes, he's a professional) do a check, he focused on the engine and the oil leak I noticed. I wanted him to mainly confirm that the leaking fluid I saw on the underside was indeed oil, and not coolant. I can work on shafts, rotors, etc. but I wanted a Disco with an engine that had been taken care of.

I plan on going in tomorrow morning and having them hoist her and give me an opinion on the drive shafts. I'm sure they'll know, but how do I tell if someone has put something like Bar's into it to stop a coolant leak? Is it the copper colored crap I've seen poured into coolant reservoirs?

Also, we are in consensus that a professional would not make a misdiagnosis of head gasket repair versus radiator repair?

Sorry. I've wanted a Disco for quite some time, and I've done a bit of research. But I'm not a professional/experienced mechanic.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock temp gauge has a gigantic "middle" section, to the point of being useless. It's computer driven(with lousy parameters). Just about everyone here has an Ultra Gauge with an audible alert set around 215, from what I recall.

Unless I misunderstand you, I'd be more concerned about the car you purchased being listed as Salvage. Are you referring to a Salvage title, or someone simply selling it for parts? Big difference.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:24 PM
4wd Low

Well, I spent most of the afternoon with my mechanic. I've picked out a triple gauge, and it'll be installed and mounted by him this week. He can't see any evidence of Stop Leak having been used. She has no major issues.

Had the shafts inspected, too, and they're A-OK except for the rubber seal, which I believe I can get fairly cheaply.

The "Salvage" listing was what the owner listed it as. Not a salvage title.

Anyway, I've got it figured out. Thanks for all the newbie help.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Please consider that the stock gauge is driven by the ecu, sort of an idiot light with a pointer. It is programmed by the info weasels to point at 50% from about 130-240F. At 284 F it turns on the warning light to call for a tow truck. This "stable" display does not allow the owner of an older vehicle to see that temp getting higher every week, indicating radiator and other problems. One popular theory is that this gauge allows owners to run at well elevated temperatures for long periods, which contributes to the head gasket failure. The $69 Ultra Gauge reads the OBDII live data and displays your live coolant temp. You will also find that a real Land ROver 180F thermostat can help you stay cooler.

Inspecting the shafts is one thing but since they are sealed it is a matter of time before they squeak twice and then shear apart, and a hole gets thrashed in the side of the transmission. If not already replaced with ones with grease fittings all around, upgrade or have them rebuilt. Article in our tech area.

Enjoy your new toy, and buy that mechanic a case of his favorite beverage. Or chocolate covered donuts, the best business bribe because they eat all the evidence.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:23 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

When you look at the heads around where the spark plugs go in as well as under the oil fill tube is it shiny silver aluminum looking or old and oily looking?

I am wondering why the PO said it had HG issues when it now doesn't.

It would be good to have just purchased a rig with brand new HG's.

Was the PO just wrong about the HG and dumped his disco for no other good reason when it was the radiator all along??? Wow. And was the mechanic who changed the radiator the one who told the PO he had HG issues and then bought it off him cheap??? hmm.

You (and that mechanic) may have gotten lucky, but the HG will probably be an issue sooner or later if it overheated already.

X2 on the Ultragauge and LR OEM 180° Thermostat.

Last edited by Dave03S; 06-02-2014 at 07:54 PM.