Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by CODisco
My front driver’s side is due as well. Been putting it off for a few months while I focused on the head gaskets.

Who did you end up getting the hub from? Prices seem like they’re all over the place, and I’m just not sure whether it’s worth the expense for the high-priced ones.

How difficult was it getting that hub nut off?
I got a an allmakes from LRDIRECT. Hub nut came off pretty easy with my battery powered impact driver. Two hubs for $261 shipped from the UK. Pretty easy job - only took 2 hours and I am a noob.

The following users liked this post:
CODisco (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 09:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CODisco
My front driver’s side is due as well. Been putting it off for a few months while I focused on the head gaskets.

Who did you end up getting the hub from? Prices seem like they’re all over the place, and I’m just not sure whether it’s worth the expense for the high-priced ones.

How difficult was it getting that hub nut off?
I got a an allmakes from LRDIRECT. Hub nut came off pretty easy with my battery powered impact driver. Two hubs for $261 shipped from the UK. Pretty easy job - only took 2 hours and I am a noob.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 3/8 Update

Did a shakedown at the hardrock offroad park. Rover performed well. Good power and was able to get over the obstacles ok. Got it back home, cleaned it up and inspected for damage. The diff armor took some abuse and the exhaust manifold to flange union came loose and gave me an exhaust leak, but other than that, no issues.

Starting to get ready for the Moab trip. 5000 miles round trip at ~$5 per gallon at 11.5 MPG. Do the math.

In any case, i topped off the transmission fluid, checked the transfer case and diff levels and greased the driveshafts and steering rods. Also adjust the slack out of the steering box. Temps running consistently between 180-190 thanks to Extinct's inline thermostat. O2 sensor voltage is tracking good.

Tomorrow I will put together my spare parts and field repair kits. Going out into Grand Staircase and Lockhart Basin trail where there is no cell phone coverage so I need to be self-sufficient. Will post more details once I get it finished up. Leaving this Friday to begin the Trek!

Last edited by cvhyatt; 03-08-2022 at 08:24 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cvhyatt:
CODisco (03-08-2022), JUKE179r (03-08-2022), Richard Gallant (03-09-2022), whowa004 (03-09-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Truck is looking great !!

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 05:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,457 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Couple tips on fuel economy based on your calcs which I am sure you already know but will state the obvious for Rover newbs who might be reading (recently had a new owner at the house):

1. Run regular 87 octane, slightly cheaper and truck will run fine if have a bit less power.
2. Can't do anything about your tire drag from the larger tires but drive 70-75 and you should see a good bit better mileage. I get a consistent 17mpg at that speed, you should manage at least 14, maybe 15 with those tires.
3. Air the tires up to maximum for your road portion of the trip
4. AC on with the control set to recirculation with windows up will give the best fuel economy

Be sure to report back your road fuel economy, ambient temps, and engine temps as you get in to the hotter regions of the country.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Extinct
Couple tips on fuel economy based on your calcs which I am sure you already know but will state the obvious for Rover newbs who might be reading (recently had a new owner at the house):

1. Run regular 87 octane, slightly cheaper and truck will run fine if have a bit less power.
2. Can't do anything about your tire drag from the larger tires but drive 70-75 and you should see a good bit better mileage. I get a consistent 17mpg at that speed, you should manage at least 14, maybe 15 with those tires.
3. Air the tires up to maximum for your road portion of the trip
4. AC on with the control set to recirculation with windows up will give the best fuel economy

Be sure to report back your road fuel economy, ambient temps, and engine temps as you get in to the hotter regions of the country.
Thanks! I already use regular and am planning on airing up to 40 psi. Good tips on speed and AC. Will report back on the trip log. Should have a lot of data in OBDFusion app..

Old 03-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 770 Likes on 506 Posts

You will want all the power you can get once you hit CO but other than that good tips and have a safe trip! Curious to see how Lockhart is as I'm leaning towards running out later this month for a couple nights of camping

Old 03-09-2022, 05:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by whowa004
You will want all the power you can get once you hit CO but other than that good tips and have a safe trip! Curious to see how Lockhart is as I'm leaning towards running out later this month for a couple nights of camping
Hitting it solo (no other vehicles) so still wondering if that is a good idea. I have read that there is just one difficult technical area - the rest is supposed to be easy. Will keep you guys posted with a trip report - assuming the Rover makes it all the way out there!

Old 03-09-2022, 06:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,457 Likes on 1,033 Posts

If you do those kind of trips often you might getting a set of street tires on an extra set of rims and a hitch haul. When I go Wheeling I drive to the area on my street tires with my off-road tires on a hitch Haul on the back. Once I reach the staging area I stop and change tires and wheels the off-road wheels learned my lesson years ago when I cut a a tire on the trail and had to finish the trail on the spare wondering if I was going to make it home. Also helps with the fuel economy having street tires, a good set of Michelin will pump you up at least one or maybe two mile per gallon over those oversized off-road tires

Old 03-09-2022, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Extinct
If you do those kind of trips often you might getting a set of street tires on an extra set of rims and a hitch haul. When I go Wheeling I drive to the area on my street tires with my off-road tires on a hitch Haul on the back. Once I reach the staging area I stop and change tires and wheels the off-road wheels learned my lesson years ago when I cut a a tire on the trail and had to finish the trail on the spare wondering if I was going to make it home. Also helps with the fuel economy having street tires, a good set of Michelin will pump you up at least one or maybe two mile per gallon over those oversized off-road tires
I've definitely thought about it. Just getting over $5000 of modifications and upgrades last year plus $2000 in gas for the trip. Once my costs settle down a bit more I'll probably do just that. I'm in Florida so any place I go 4 wheeling (except Hardrock) is going to be out of state, so it makes sense for sure.

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild