Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 idler puller (70mm) broke, threads seem stripped or is there a nut I'm missing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default D2 idler puller (70mm) broke, threads seem stripped or is there a nut I'm missing?

Went to buy a D1 the other night and was on the highway, and noticed my battery light turn on, so I went to pull over and the steering was heavy. At that point I knew I lost the belt. Luckily the entire process was like 15 seconds so I didn't overheat. Anyway, the small idler pulley to the right of the alternator (not the one with the arm) pooped out its bearing. I picked up a new one and went to install it but as soon as I feel any snug-Ness it stops grabbing and comes loose. I'm not sure if the threads are damaged somehow (not sure as it took a decent amount of force to get the old one out and seemed ok) or if there is a nut that goes behind it to hold. Any advice is appreciated as I still have it on the side of the highway and would rather not trailer it home

Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Baja
Received 720 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Manbeer
Went to buy a D1 the other night and was on the highway, and noticed my battery light turn on, so I went to pull over and the steering was heavy. At that point I knew I lost the belt. Luckily the entire process was like 15 seconds so I didn't overheat. Anyway, the small idler pulley to the right of the alternator (not the one with the arm) pooped out its bearing. I picked up a new one and went to install it but as soon as I feel any snug-Ness it stops grabbing and comes loose. I'm not sure if the threads are damaged somehow (not sure as it took a decent amount of force to get the old one out and seemed ok) or if there is a nut that goes behind it to hold. Any advice is appreciated as I still have it on the side of the highway and would rather not trailer it home
no nut. You need a new bracket.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Mudding

Thanks, is is a major pain to install and would I be better off just trying to heli coil it?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Baja
Received 720 Likes on 625 Posts

Not too bad. You have to remove the alternator, unbolt the ground, unbolt the heater core hard pipes, remove belt, and remove the 2 pulleys.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

The coolant elbow into the lower intake has a brace bolted to the alt bracket. It's possible you could work around that though.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the replies, I'm trailering it back tomorrow and am probably just going to pull the radiator and helicoil it. The one caveat- I only have sae sizes so it means that I will have to match up the next size American bolt. Should throw the next person that services it for a loop