Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II engine will crank but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all...picked my truck up friday afternoon with no maintance done, drove it home and parked it for the weekend. Yesterday morning went down to the garage and whatta know, the f@#$ing thing wouldn't start. This is getting very annoying. I'm going to get a Lisle 19380 Spark Indicator Test this afternoon to see if that's the problem. Regardless of the outcome, i'll report back.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
6th Gear

Oh and @DiscoMike...71K miles

Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
6th Gear

After three dealerships and 6mo. of on/off starting...it turns out it was the crankshaft sesnor. thanks for all your feedback

Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 AM
3rd Gear

Dear all
I have the same problem with my 2004disco2 which I just bought. I knew about the problem but I didn't know its a hard case to solve.
I made a service and checked everything including trying a crinkshaft sensor including all the fuel system.
The problem also that when attached to computer it shows zero problems.

Do anyone has another option??

Thank you in advance

QUOTE=thebloody;317698]Hi mattburn, you can buy a CPS from BOSCH Crankshaft Sensor (Genuine Part # ERR7354) - Engine Parts For The Land Rover. If the dealer is screwing you around I'd say look up a reputable indy LR tech in your area. How old is your battery? Only reason I ask is that sometimes these rigs do funny things when the battery is old or the Alternator is on it's way out. Normally when a Crank sensor is on it's way out, it fails when it heats up.

On an unrelated note, have you ever had your front prop shaft rebuilt? If not you are approaching the danger area where it will fail and impale your transmission. Your options are to either have it rebuilt by a (again reputable) indy shop or buy a new one from one of the Rover sites (they are the same as what you'd get from the stealership and just as good).[/QUOTE]

Old 05-27-2013, 02:06 PM
3rd Gear

Dear all

I had the same problem as I mentioned in the previous comment but now the problem have increased. The 2004 disco td5 does not start at all even with an ignition spray. I read every thread about this issue and summarized all the possible problems.

glow plugs. cranckshaft sensor, fuel line, earth wiring, filter sensor, non return diesel, injectors loom, injectors rings, fuel temp sensor, eco reset, dirty injector harness, immobilizer and fuel purge. DID I MISS SOMETHING!!!

And we checked and fixed them all

Now they are telling me it might be a weak ingine itself!! cause we did all the other possibilities.
The issue is that the previous owner flatted the Head of engine after he drove without water. and he says now the problem of the ignition issue started after he did the head.

pump is new, no white/gray smoke at start (when it used to start )

PLEASE, some help. i got lost with all the possibilities and its so costy,

thanks in advance

zaher

Last edited by Zaher; 05-27-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If previous owner did the head gasket replacement himself, he may have skipped the step of having the head machined back to specification. A warped head with a new head gasket can soon fail.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 AM
3rd Gear

Hi, the engine refuses to start!! this is our main problem now.is it possible that not a good job at the engine head will cause such a problem.

I didnt had any kind of smoke when it start.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Testing compression would be a good thing to do, but difficult because for the five cylinder engine there are only 4 glow plugs. Probably have to fab up something to use the injector holes.

See Anyone interested to have a look at the inside of a TD5 engine I am rebuilding?

and Land Rover Owner • View topic - td5 compression test

and TD5 compression test readings - Australian Land Rover Owners

It would seem that you could perform a compression test more easily on four of the cylinders, and expect somewhere on the order of 385-450 PSI.

Hope you have a reliable indy shop.