Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric water pump install

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

hard to find a serpentine belt????
i have ACE and walked into Advanced

Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
i'd be happy to compose a clean photo documentation of the whole thing. should be easy enough, I have to put it all back together anyway.

what are you reading the abs codes with? what are you getting? I have a nanocom and an amigo. I can put the amigo in the box if you need it.
My code reader basically just reads the SES codes and I have a pretty consistent PO171 and 174. It went away when I replaced my head/valley/plenum gaskets so it might be vac related, if that's possible. Since I had to open the top three more times for dinky injector o rings (and spewing explosive liquid on hot engine) I may have the same problem again. Basically at start I have no codes and when I first hit the brakes I get the three amigos. If I have stops during the day I generally do not see theamigos the rest of the day.

Thanks for the pump synopsis... looking forward to it.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
My code reader basically just reads the SES codes and I have a pretty consistent PO171 and 174. It went away when I replaced my head/valley/plenum gaskets so it might be vac related, if that's possible. Since I had to open the top three more times for dinky injector o rings (and spewing explosive liquid on hot engine) I may have the same problem again. Basically at start I have no codes and when I first hit the brakes I get the three amigos. If I have stops during the day I generally do not see theamigos the rest of the day.

Thanks for the pump synopsis... looking forward to it.
very likely that 71 & 74 were from vac leak

I don't have anything for work (or otherwise) coming up, out your way. ...so pm me your mailing address and I will send the little amigo over. we can figure out what's up with that.
mine acted similar with a weak signal that turned out to be a wire issue at the sensor connection. let's see

Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dusty1
very likely that 71 & 74 were from vac leak

I don't have anything for work (or otherwise) coming up, out your way. ...so pm me your mailing address and I will send the little amigo over. we can figure out what's up with that.
mine acted similar with a weak signal that turned out to be a wire issue at the sensor connection. let's see
Thank you, Dusty! PM sent. Sorry for the thread hijack. Hijack over. Everyone remain calm.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Thank you, Dusty! PM sent. Sorry for the thread hijack. Hijack over. Everyone remain calm.
I was just beginning to go crazy here lol.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Camel Trophy

I swapped out my tstat and expansion tank cap yesterday for new (180 for the tstat) and drove around a mix of city and highway and I got normal temps for a 190 tstat... about 194 to 199, then a high of 207 when stepped. I have the electric fan setup too. My temperatures really **** me off because I have replaces my head gaskets three times too many for one lifetime. Clearly, the Disco water pump does not do the job except at higher RPMs. I even drive a steady 60 and shifted from D to 3 and the temps dove. It is stark when you have the truck idling and put your hand behind the fan... the air gets comfortable. Pull the throttle cable a little and you have to find gloves because of the heat. My water pump is about 2 years old and has a brass impeller.

Land rover apparently covers this by having a stoic temperature gauge in the pod.

So, this is my next project after incoming ball joints. I see what you mean about the size and location restrictions of the online pumps! It really seems that there should be an inline pump that fits where you cut your hose, with a positive and ground wire and some kind of thermostat. I can't find anything like that.

Are you still happy with yours? Did you select that one (to use inline) just because of the size? Would any other work as well? How did you decide on the gpm? I see a lot for Chevy small blocks and some of them look like they just bolt on to be used inline, but none of them are described that way.

Best,

Charlie V

Old 01-23-2016, 08:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also interested in the final details of the electric pump mod. just replaced my head gasket, water pump, radiator, and fan. I think the electric pump would be a great addition. I think the newer rovers are using a dual pump. It would be great to have stable temps (reading from an ultra gauge that has turned me into a hypochondriac) and also a heater that stays hot when sitting idle.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:36 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know how this mod turned out? I'm thinking about using a Davies-Craig as a booster for the mechanical pump. Where did dusty mount his? At the lower radiator hose, or right next to the mechanical pump?

Old 08-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

I wonder what happened to Dusty. He was all over the place here and then just disappeared. Last post was at the end of October last year.