Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Short Simple How to fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Short Simple How to fix

2000 Disco II, blowing 2 fuses no matter how many times I replace them. Car stuck in park (although brake lights work fine, shifter solonoid is good....fuse to shifter solonoid keeps blowing). I have managed to drive the car by pushing in the solonoid pin in the shifter. Front seat forward and back fuse also keeps blowing (heated seat works fine).

I have yet to find a post expalining in simple terms how to fix and trace a short. What tools are needed and starting from the fuse how do I trace a wire for repair and what causes a wire to short (I assume shorting means the wires are touching or a ground is no longer "being grounded") due to corrosion.....any help greatly appreciated.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

a short is when positive touches ground, a light is a short just a very small one that does not exceed the current draw of a fuse, usually a multimeter will help you find a short, I like to unplug the component at the end of the circuit and then test at the fuse, this will help identify if the problem is in the component or in the wiring. locating a short is not usually a very simple task many times a fuse provides power to a few different circuits so you have to determine which one is drawing to much current and blowing the fuse. I would start looking over the schematics in the rave manual to find where the power goes from the fuses that keep blowing and then start disconnecting components that are powered by those fuses, it is generally more common that a certain electronic component goes bad then a wire under the dash shorting to ground, like the power seat, unplug the plugs going to the power seat(I would imagine that it would be in the switch but you would have to check to see where the fused power goes for sure) then unplug the fuse and test for ground where the fuse plugs in, if there is ground the problem lies in the wiring if not then the problem is either in the switch or the motors, and then continue from there. do the same thing for the other fuses that are blowing.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Quit replacing fuses, they are there for a reason, to keep you from burning up a wire harness. If you do not know how to check for a short, then do yourself a favor and let a mechanic check it.
As for the shifter, do your brake lights work, if not, you need a new brake light switch switch for starters.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do have to say I agree with Mike on this one, a short can cause alot of damage to your vehicle including an electrical fire. If you are not too sure about what you are doing, I would take it in to someone who is.