Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp Bulb Replacement MY2000

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp Bulb Replacement MY2000

After much internet/forum/rave/owners manual searching it seems there are a few different headlamp housings for the Rovers over the years.

I need to replace my headlamp bulb on a 2000 Discovery II. From the research I can find, it would seem the headlamp housing is pop in and out , as opposed to the ones held on with screws and secret housings!

Can anyone with a 2000 confirm they are pop out? Just wiggle em out?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Headlamp Bulb Replacement MY2000-headlamp.jpg  
Old 12-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Remove the panel above the headlight with the hood open. You'll see the 3 release clips, rotate them to line up with the holes, and then pull the lamp away from the vehicle.

You might need to remove the brush guard.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Racer X
Remove the panel above the headlight with the hood open. You'll see the 3 release clips, rotate them to line up with the holes, and then pull the lamp away from the vehicle.

You might need to remove the brush guard.
Thanks!!!

Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

They change out really easy and fast. You will need to remove the 3 wire screen on the brush guard.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Overlanding

UPDATE. So the housings come out easy enough. But still have some questions!

The bulb is giving me fits, I cleaned all the connections. Turn the lights on , and it works. Turn them off , then on again, and the passenger side is dead ....again. It is very intermittent and not consistent at all. If the bulb is bad, then that light should never work , right?

Also not sure how to remove the actual bulb , see pictures...

I was going to swap drivers bulb to passengers and see what happens.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Headlamp Bulb Replacement MY2000-bulb-2.jpg   Headlamp Bulb Replacement MY2000-bulb.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

By your postcount, I'm going to guess you just got the truck.

That looks to be an exceptionally low quality HID retrofit you just pulled out of that housing. Rather than recommend another HID retrofit, I'm going to recommend that you go back to stock.

You're going to find two boxes, one attached to each headlight. They're called ballasts. Connected to those ballasts, in addition to those bulbs, is going to be a relay, and also connected to that relay is going to be the stock headlight bulb connector.

Disconnect that bulb connector (approx 1 in. square, 3 wires, 3 female terminals), and connect it to a quality 9003/ HB2 / H4 bulb, like a Sylvania Silverstar or similar. Put that bulb back in the housing in place of the HID, and you're good to go.

Now, if the stock connector was cut and the wires spliced directly, you'll need to wire in a replacement connector. Autozone sells them for like $12 a side, you can use butt connectors to reconnect to the stock harness, but I recommend soldering and heat shrink for a long term fix.

Good luck.

Stock bulb socket looks similar to this:

Autozone Replacement Socket: Dorman/9003/H4 bulb high temperature headlight socket (84790) | | AutoZone.com

Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Racer X
By your postcount, I'm going to guess you just got the truck.

That looks to be an exceptionally low quality HID retrofit you just pulled out of that housing. Rather than recommend another HID retrofit, I'm going to recommend that you go back to stock.

You're going to find two boxes, one attached to each headlight. They're called ballasts. Connected to those ballasts, in addition to those bulbs, is going to be a relay, and also connected to that relay is going to be the stock headlight bulb connector.

Disconnect that bulb connector (approx 1 in. square, 3 wires, 3 female terminals), and connect it to a quality 9003/ HB2 / H4 bulb, like a Sylvania Silverstar or similar. Put that bulb back in the housing in place of the HID, and you're good to go.

Now, if the stock connector was cut and the wires spliced directly, you'll need to wire in a replacement connector. Autozone sells them for like $12 a side, you can use butt connectors to reconnect to the stock harness, but I recommend soldering and heat shrink for a long term fix.

Good luck.

Stock bulb socket looks similar to this:

Autozone Replacement Socket: Dorman/9003/H4 bulb high temperature headlight socket (84790) | | AutoZone.com
Thanks for suggestions and I did exactly that , headlights are both functional !!