Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerky Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jerky Steering

Hey guys-

I've posted about this before, but the only thing we came up with was the Stabilizer bar. I just put a new, nice one in, and it didn't change a thing. Here's the deal:

Our 2000 Disco II is handling the road REALLY poorly. I drive the 04, and my wife drives the 2000, and I forgot how bad it was. I had that stabilizer replaced this morning and took it for a drive, and WOW...

One second you're fighting it from pulling to the right, then suddenly you're fighting it from pulling to the left. You hit a pot hole, and the vehicles feels like it moves horizontally to one side or the other in a second or two.

The garage said the front end is tight... So I'm thinking about taking it somewhere else.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be?

THANKS!

Pat

Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your Panhard Rod. The bolts on mine were super loose and the truck was a death trap. The whole steering assembly, shock towers , and whole suspension was falling off the truck when the wheel was turned . Tightened the Panhard rod bolts and the difference was 100% improvement-nothing moved anymore-tight. Going to go ahead and replace the rod bushings and the bolts and locknuts next week to make the improvement permanent! Scary that one or two bolts control so much safety.

-aaron
2003 SE7 105,000 miles.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco2Fever
Hey guys-

I've posted about this before, but the only thing we came up with was the Stabilizer bar. I just put a new, nice one in, and it didn't change a thing. Here's the deal:

Our 2000 Disco II is handling the road REALLY poorly. I drive the 04, and my wife drives the 2000, and I forgot how bad it was. I had that stabilizer replaced this morning and took it for a drive, and WOW...

One second you're fighting it from pulling to the right, then suddenly you're fighting it from pulling to the left. You hit a pot hole, and the vehicles feels like it moves horizontally to one side or the other in a second or two.

The garage said the front end is tight... So I'm thinking about taking it somewhere else.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be?

THANKS!

Pat

Those people ever check the toe-out?

If you have too much, it'll jump all over the road
If you have too little, it'll not return to center.

I'd have an alignment shop check it, (5mins max)

I did my own in the driveway, had it checked, it was perfect.

The stabilizer is ONLY to keep large rocks from breaking your thumbs if your off-roading.

It does VERY little on-road.

luck,greg

Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by greg409

The stabilizer is ONLY to keep large rocks from breaking your thumbs if your off-roading.

It does VERY little on-road.

luck,greg
Yup..

Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Winching

I'm out of town for the next few few days. I'm gunna try to have another garage look at it, but I don't know if they'll get it done quick or not. I love the garage I've been training, but they've had two chances to fix it. If they could have, I think they would have.

Hopefully nothing happens while I'm gone...

Thanks for the advice guys!

Pat

PS- AutoZone committed an Epic Fail and screwed my ScanGaugeII order up. Gunna try to find another one today...

Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Mudding

Booo on the scan gauge!! that sucks Pat... I'm looking into getting the 3130 that Mike was talking about yesterday.. that thing can do some cool $h*t man! we'll see though, I might not want to know EVERY little thing that is going on with it!! lol

Take care and travel safe my friend!

Regards,

Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you spend money to have it checked, when was the last time you flushed the p/s? If you don't remember consider doing a 4 quart fluid flush and top it off with a bottle of Lucas p/s additive to free up stuck valves in the pump and or gear box.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bearcatfans
check your Panhard Rod. The bolts on mine were super loose and the truck was a death trap. The whole steering assembly, shock towers , and whole suspension was falling off the truck when the wheel was turned . Tightened the Panhard rod bolts and the difference was 100% improvement-nothing moved anymore-tight. Going to go ahead and replace the rod bushings and the bolts and locknuts next week to make the improvement permanent! Scary that one or two bolts control so much safety.

-aaron
2003 SE7 105,000 miles.
I would check the panhard rod also. My bushings were bad, making steering corrections a constant thing while driving, and the truck would veer to one side with the slightest road change. By grabbing and moving, everything felt tight. I had to have someone turn the steering wheel side-to-side while I was under the front watching everything. Only then could I see the slop in the bushings.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Winching

Ken, as SOON as I get home, I'm gunna try that.

THANKS!