Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud humming noise when A/C is on and I increase the fan speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Loud humming noise when A/C is on and I increase the fan speed

Loud humming noise when A/C is on and I increase fan speed from low to high...I think I have a leaf or something stuck in the blower motors squirrel cage...does anyone know of a write-up on removing the glove box to clean it out? It hums louder as I increase the fan speed and the A/C still blows cold air.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

rave. 80-27

Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by dgi 07
rave. 80-27
thanks dgi...I was looking in the Air Conditioning section in RAVE and didn't even think about the Heating and Ventilation section!

Next question...has anyone ever cleaned one of these out before? I see the pic now in RAVE, but will I need to actually open up the blower motor to clean it out? Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Not sure how close it is, but on a D1 it is three bolts and the fan drops straight down. Easy clean out. Be careful with fans, they are expensive. One forum member had some kind of varmit chew the hood blanket and line the inside of the fan as a nest. You'll want to make a dust filter, there is a write up for it in the tech section. I stuck an extra piece in the air intake for the HVAC, my fan was full of leaves.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Not sure how close it is, but on a D1 it is three bolts and the fan drops straight down. Easy clean out. Be careful with fans, they are expensive. One forum member had some kind of varmit chew the hood blanket and line the inside of the fan as a nest. You'll want to make a dust filter, there is a write up for it in the tech section. I stuck an extra piece in the air intake for the HVAC, my fan was full of leaves.
Savannah Buzz...I think you are spot on because the DII RAVE shows the DI control panel in the pics, so I'm sure it is the same as the DI (Mike & Spike please confirm?)...and AB wants almost 3 benjamins for the fan alone...I will be very careful, trust me!

I'm not sure what is in there, but it sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle while peddling like a bat out of hell...it is my project for the weekend...thanks!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Micheal: Yes, all you have to do is remove the thin cardboard under dash shield, then the blower motor comes out with just a few bolts. With the motor out, you can check the squirrel cage (blower wheel) for debris, and stick your hand/arm up into the HVAC area to feel for other debris.

My motor began sounding like a cricket on all but the highest 2 speeds off and on about 6 months ago. I had it out in under 15 minutes to clean the brushes and lubricate the bearings. The noise is back, so I'm going to pull it again and use a different lubricant on the bearings.

For $250 or more for a new one, I will personally rebuild the old one if necessary!

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 08-17-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Micheal: Yes, all you have to do is remove the thin cardboard under dash shield, then the blower motor comes out with just a few bolts. With the motor out, you can check the squirrel cage (blower wheel) for debris, and stick your hand/arm up into the HVAC area to feel for other debris.

My motor began sounding like a cricket on all but the highest 2 speeds off and on about 6 months ago. I had it out in under 15 minutes to clean the brushes and lubricate the bearings. The noise is back, so I'm going to pull it again and use a different lubricant on the bearings.

For $250 or more for a new one, I will personally rebuild the old one if necessary!
Thanks lordmorpheus...good call on the lubricant as well since I will already be in there...any suggestions on what lube to avoid and which one to use?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

The reason the dealership can charge so much for the HVAC fan is that they know that most of the electric windows are stuck!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

On the lubricant for the bearings:
WD-40 worked for a few months until the noise came back.

I picked up a can of 3-in1 oil to use whenever I get around to re-lubing it. It has been setting on my computer desk for the past 4 months because it has either been too hot or raining when I have time to do it. I think it is going to be the best bet.

*edit: the can of oil has been setting on my desk. The blower motor is in the car, and when it chirps, I turn up the speed, and raise the temperature so I don't get frostbite

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 08-17-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

check this post for photo of what can await you
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...no-heat-41396/