Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major coolant leak at driverside near firewall

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chiti66
Thanks for the info...heading out to change out all fluids to include flush, and go from there. I'll be back.
Hold off on changing all the fluids, do a coolant pressure test, find and fix the problems, then do the major service, no since changing out the coolant twice and make sure to switch away from Dexcool to Peak or one of the other coolants along with adding a bottle of either Water Wetter or Purple Ice.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak near intake manifold

Hi I am new to this forum so bear with me. I am a female and do not work on my car but do try to research on these forums when something goes wrong. I have a LR Disc II, 2000.

I currently am leaking coolant under the intake manifold. It appears as though it is coming from an area where there is a screw. Does it just need to be tightened?

I do have someone looking at it for me, (someone that works on cars on the side), and we were just trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks

Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 AM
7th Gear

number sent
thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Overheating and major leaking - what was your outcome

My disco 2003 Landrover overheated yesterday after driving 2 miles tops. I was low on gas, and when i pulled into the gas station I saw steam coming out of hood. Also smelled bad. I quickly opened the hood and saw fluid underneath the car. looked like it was sweating inside. Couple of men in the station said it was anti-freeze. My car had been leaking (slow leak) for awhile and I had a half a bottle of anti-freeze in the car. We waited, then added the anti-freeze, no noticeable leaking (I think (hope) we put the fluid in the right place ;-)) and off I went. Did we put the anti-freeze in too soon.... because....

I didn't go far. Immediately I saw a cab drive signaling to me something was wrong. Saw the gauge going up hotter (up to the red - this had happened 5yrs ago and I lost my engine) but no light came on, and quickly pulled over - I had 2 kids in the car. Again, overheating and turned off the car, got out and saw major leakage of fluid in the street (major). Called AAA, Saturday night, no garage nearby was open, and now the car is parked on the street (thank God I was able to turn it on and park it).

So now what do I do?!. This disco's engine ceased once like I said above, lost the transmission shortly before that, have had radiator work, and it's intermittent. For 6-months it's great, then major stuff like this happens. Last time I was here (on this site) the service engine was on and it had some misfire issues that just went away. Is this car dying! The dealer laughs when he looks underneath. It's leaking a slow death - but now major fluid and overheating - dangerous!

Any and all advice appreciated. AAA is towing it today to my street then I guess the mechanic Tuesday am.... Is it safe to at least drive it to park it in a parking space?!

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Next time don't add your post to a 1 year old thread, start your own so we don't have to read thru all the old ones just to get to yours.
That being said, how mechanical are you? You need a coolant pressure test done and do not drive it again before it is tested and fixed.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

X2 on above and I replied to your other post as well. Hope it is just a hose leak. A head gasket can leak inside (makes white smoke out exhaust, or milkshake in oil); or external (down back of block, etc.). From your description of major quantity of fluid coming out I would suspect hose leak first. But here is a pix of a dramatic HG leak. And the happy mechanic.

Attached Thumbnails Major coolant leak at driverside near firewall-hg-rear-2.jpg   Major coolant leak at driverside near firewall-hg-rear.jpg   Major coolant leak at driverside near firewall-bad-mechanic.jpg