Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge on D2

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought an adapter for the plug in question on the front cover and ran my gauge off of it with no issues. I originally tapped the plug and temporarily installed a mechanical gauge off of it as well. I went with the adapter because it was a flanged adapter and sealed better and was a little more sano on the final install. I bought the extended wiring harness, pod, and gauge from glowshift. Turned out great, and the pod can be custom molded with a heat gun for a very good fit. The adapter was from ebay and cost about $10 and came with new crush washers.
Hope that helps.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm going to try tapping the plug and using a kit on Amazon. I already have the engine out, and I have the wiring harness exposed, so running the wiring through the existing harness will make it look even cleaner.

Thanks, y'all!

Old 05-06-2019, 07:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone measured pressure differential?

Originally Posted by RSPTex
I think I'm going to try tapping the plug and using a kit on Amazon. I already have the engine out, and I have the wiring harness exposed, so running the wiring through the existing harness will make it look even cleaner.

Thanks, y'all!
After going the sandwich filter route and completing the install, I was excited to see good pressure numbers for my old clapped out 179K motor. As I was doing a test drive and watching the guage like a hawk, my oil light flickered on briefly, however the glowshift guage never dropped below 50 lbs. Then it occurred to me the sandwich adapter is measuring pre oil filter, and the test port and stock oil pressure sending unit are after the filter. Two questions:

1) what would be the expected differential be pre and post filter?

2) would the pressure bypass valve in the oil filter make this irrelevant? In other words if the pressure is 50 pre-filter at the sandwich, and the filter has a by pass valve of nine, wouldn't the pressure be 50 post filter as well because it is being routed passed the by pass valve?

Old 05-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Expected filter diff should be less than 3 psi, if it reaches 9 psi differential the bypass valve opens. 50 is good, these old motors hold up well if they have had regular oil changes and good oil used. Not overheated to the point of walked cam bearings.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey thanks that clears it up, it has to be the differential of the two, makes sense the post filter pressure is pushing back against the valve, and the pre filter pressure is pushing against that.. Funny thing, I took the filter off today to put on a new one, and a block from the house the oil light came on for about 10 seconds while the gauge still looked good. I wonder if the light pops on when a bubble moves through from the sandwich. Light went out and stayed gone through the days errands, and the pressures remained good on the gauge.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Sandwich filter oil pressure is not accurate

I installed the sandwich filter instead of putting the guage sensor in place of the sensor switch, and I regret it. I believe the sandwich filter sensor is inaccurate by as much as ten psi. I called glowshift and asked them how much difference I should expect pre and post filter, and they said "we don't know"! Let me get this straight, you design a product, and you don't test it vs the pressure at the sensor port?
My Rover started idling like crap, and with the guage reading 19 psi, the oil pressure light blinked on. I've had this happen a few times as I'm chasing down air leaks, so now I don't know if my 49 psi reading hot at 2K rpm is really 39, too low. I'll be ditching this thing at my first opportunity. is favor of the guage sensor at the switch port.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 441 Likes on 258 Posts

My oil pressure depends heavily on oil temp. When 'engine hot' (coolant temp needle in the middle, oil is still relatively cold = 130F - I have an oil temp sensor too) I get 52psi easily. When engine oil reaches it's final operating temp (220-240F), I can barely see 40psi @2k rpm. BTW, I have no issues (never had the oil light coming on), except for the erratic ticking at low rpm. Comparing oil pressure values without exact temp does not make much sense imho.

I have a glowshift too and I am going to install a second pressure sensor at the plugged port. I am curious to see the difference under certain driving conditions. Also, I will try a Mann filter to see if that makes a difference for the pressure drop over the filter.

Last edited by Discorama; 06-23-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Three Wheeling

I would love to see what that differential is. As I understand it you have the sandwich adapter and are going to add another sensor/ guage in the stock port position and can do a comparison?

Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 441 Likes on 258 Posts

Yes, I have a sandwich which is before the oil filter, stock port position is behind.