Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pin Cylinder Liners write up with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxnet
I paid 800.00 dollars for the truck with a blown Head gasket. Top hats are 680.00 from LA sleeve. Machine work was done by myself. Gaskets and other parts were roughly 300.00. Custom rocker arms were 365.00. Machine work by me. I like bores with minimal to no taper if I am investing my time and money.

After having done the work and analyzing the problem I would have chosen the Cometic gaskets after the seating of the liners to the register and decking the block if taper is not excessive. I don't know how many times people put the block back together without looking for the root cause. This would only be done with a good tested block. I have measured the fire ring diameter and know for fact that it is outside the liner O.D.. Not good and the liner is free to move in a overheat situation, or poor interference fit of the liner itself.

So, for 200.00 on a set of properly made gaskets, and some basic machine work, someone could have peace of mind in the longevity from a rebuild. Much cheaper and substantially easier to achieve better results in the long run. I'd do this in a heartbeat if I were to ever buy another Land Rover. I cannot see another in my future.

I do this stuff for ****s and giggles, not because I have to. Your money and choice, but as stated, you still have to pull the heads. If you have to pin the sleeve because of a tick, You will be better served by seating the liners (all 8) and decking. At that point and without further grief, buy the properly made head gasket, because you have to buy them no matter what.

I cannot make this any clearer to all people. The OEM gasket is junk unless top hatted liners are installed. Otherwise call Cometic and/or have a custom made gasket fitted to your block to trap the liner. What a joke to have to replace head gaskets as preventive maintenance on a automobile while still running.

I'll leave it at that. Have fun and good luck.

MAK
In regards to fitting your own top-hat liners - how did you do it? I know you made a recess for the flange to sit, but how did you actually install them? Heat the block then press them in with a shop press? Did you bore the cylinders to be 2-4 thousandths smaller in diameter than the sleeves so they would only slip in when heated? Please elaborate.

Thank you

Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Im almost sorry I woke this thread up...

Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 02(daily driver) has a light tick after warm up(144k miles),if it turned out to be a slipped liner I would do this in a heart beat.