Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Mans 8$ CAI... Another Crappy How To

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for the record I am all for new ways of doing things. Every time I look at that scrawny necked air intake on my 96 I just wonder how I am getting much airflow in there. Kudos to you for experimenting with it and getting something to work. I hope to put a snorkel on mine sometime in the future but 500 bucks? ouch. Way to go spence! enjoy it.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Come on you know you want to do it!
LOL!!! No actually I dont, can you imagine all the water I would suck in?
And snow?
That thing would be clogged with snow and ice so thick that the engine would stall.
Did I mention it being a water scoop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tQ2Tp3u_f8

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol disconnect it in tge winter ANSI. Water, sheesh..

My air temp was up to 175*

today it reached a max of 140 in traffic*

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Cold air is denser, so it contains more oxygen per cubic foot. The MAF senses temperature and air speed, so it adjusts the fuel injection accordingly. As a result, you have more potential horse power and better gas mileage. It would be fun to fit it with a barometer, then move it around to see where the highest pressure is under the truck. That would be an additional boost at highway speeds which in turn would enhance the power/gas mileage. Neat idea. You should refine it with PVC and market it.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rtonder
Neat idea. You should refine it with PVC and market it.
They already exist. And believe me there there is a reason air intakes are not mounted under the car 6 inches off the road.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting MOD, sounds like you're seeing some positive results. is there anything to keep stuff from flying into it?

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Yes. Sadly I did..

See I come from the Toyota 4runner communtity where ideas are accepted. Sadly I see with land rover owners there not.
Correction, land rover owners on Dweb...
Dweb is the trailer park of Disco owners. I've been a member there since 2008, and I have 0 posts. There is a reason I have over 1,000 here. Totally different group of people.

I know a few guys on Dweb that are awesome people, unfortunately they are overshadowed by a bunch of losers.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Well it really was just going to be temporary, at least the ram air part. Ill probably cut it back some so airs not forced in it.

As for debri, I will probably use some screen I have left over from when I did my deckplate mod on my 4runner.

And today I noticed a 35* difference in the heat, at idle

Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So spence I took a look at Dweb (as I have never been on there, nor would I in the future due to the response you got) and I have to say that I was LMAO. Sorry. That was way wrong the way they attacked you but I couldn't help laughing. Those guys seem like a special bunch of folks. I love LR Forums and I sometimes have to ask stupid questions. Seems like you would be raked over the coals for just about any question over there. Jeez you don't have to slam someone when you don't agree. Sorry you had to endure that. Just stay over here where the folks are nice.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Its cool, its the interwebz. No offense taken to any of that, just shows their character.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:07 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is about four feet of heat bounceback from the road and the ground during the day. Get above that four feet and the air is alot cooler.

Quick Reply: Poor Mans 8$ CAI... Another Crappy How To