Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Mans 8$ CAI... Another Crappy How To

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

As for the underhood temps, Spike in his last post detailed testing with a separate thermal sensor and meter, never found over 150F as I recall. Perhaps something to look at.

I was wondering about the effects of the dead end parts of the head on cooling. As you have water channels on both ends, but the rear set is blocked off by the intake. So there is a space inside the head, with a dead end passage, and hot water "lingers" there.

Not sure how much heat transfer you could have from the TB heater, a number of people run without it and I don't recall posts about better MPG, performance, etc. Perhaps one method might be a bypass valve, so you could keep it switched off until frozen area driving.

Of course, the Buick 215 engine was the in first producation car in the US with factory turbo, 1962 F-85 "Jetfire".

Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Holy necropost...

CAI's are great for cooling the intake charge, which in turn can lower engine operating temps a scosche and improve performance in even more instances, but the CAI outlined in this tutorial...

This is a hydrolocked engine waiting to happen in the best case scenario, and a rod or two vacating the block in the worst case. I wouldn't follow suit, personally.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

ford though it was a good idea to put a CAI scoop under the front bumper on the super duty's until they started getting warrantee claims for hyrolock

Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn squirrels keep getting in my intake

Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Mudding

You're too nice; ya gotta raise the rent, or the squirrels won't leave . I get chipmunks. Some people leave moth ***** scattered around or use repellant spray, like for trash. Gotta be careful it's not flammable, though. Others use more "permanent" methods...traps/poison/target practice .

I often just park the cars further away and hope the squirrels/chipmunks find another car that they prefer to mine. It's not very neighborly, but sometimes works...

Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I wish the OP would come back and give us an update.

I'd be curious if he's still running the CAI and if it affected his gas mileage.

It DOES seem like a CAI is a good idea. These trucks seem to get pretty damn hot under the hood, even when they aren't overheating and melting the aluminum block.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

snorkle and be done with it haha... or put a cone filter where the box was, and seal off aroudn it so its forced to pull air from the circular hole where he has the ducting tube running down through lol.... tinfoil wrapped cardboard or plywood with split vac hose around the edges does fine lol

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Mudding

After all the jokes abt his close to the road "experiment", Spencer did post that if he had $500 for a snorkel, he would...

I like Bundu's solution: Get duct tape, pop a vent, and run 8' of that flexible dryer vent hose up to the roof. Then, it's be a poor man's snorkel.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Magna Defender
I like Bundu's solution: Get duct tape, pop a vent, and run 8' of that flexible dryer vent hose up to the roof. Then, it's be a poor man's snorkel.
Or, if you're not worried about going into deep water, just cut a hole in the hood, add a scoop and run your duct work to the hood scoop. Then you have a ram air hood!

Quick Reply: Poor Mans 8$ CAI... Another Crappy How To