Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid everywhere!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid everywhere!!!

So now that I have spent over $3,800 in aftermarket parts last month I now have Power Steering Fluid all over the garage floor. Mechanic(so called friend) said $1,900 for fix. He wants to replace the Motor, Gear Box, and a high pressure line!!! WOW! Process of eliminiation sounds a ton better.

Oh and reading the Check Engine light was $120 to find out it was an O2 sensor due to a crack in the passanger side exhaust manifold.... Anyone heard of any interior engine damage due to a minor crack?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

For $120 you could have bought an Ultra gauge, read your own codes, and monitor things in the vehicle even better than factory. Exhaust manifold crack not likely to cause engine damage. Plenty of people drive with exhaust leaks.

Would want more diagnostic info before deciding block was ready for the scrap yard.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced my PS pump last week. Kind of a pain to install it you leave the fan on, but it can be done with some patience.

After i installed it, I noticed a ton of power steering fluid leaking out. After doing a bunch of investigating in the normal spot (High and low pressure connections at the pump...) I found that my high pressure line was actually rusted through under the radiator. The high pressure line goes all the way across the front of the car under the radiator and then back. My guess is it is some type of cooling design. Paid about $125 for the new line.

If you look down between the air intake and the motor at the top of the steering box, you should be able to see if your high pressure line is leaking as it goes into the pump. There would be PS fluid on top of the steering box. I would think the High Pressure lines are more prone to leak, but you can see the low pressure line if you lay under the vehicle and look up at the pump. You may have to take the 2 plastic skid plates off.

Mine looked like it was leaking from the the bottom of the radiator. If you look through the mesh in the the middle of the bumper, you can see the plastic trim covering the PS lines (Actually just one line doubling back on itself) Take that off and see if yours were a rusted mess like mine were.

$1900 sounds high, but I can see parts adding up if he goes OEM. Maybe by the parts yourself? I would start with the pump and the PS line. I can't see this taking a professional mechanic more than 2-3 hours to do.

Last edited by bustedwheel; 01-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by bustedwheel
I just replaced my PS pump last week. Kind of a pain to install it you leave the fan on, but it can be done with some patience.

After i installed it, I noticed a ton of power steering fluid leaking out. After doing a bunch of investigating in the normal spot (High and low pressure connections at the pump...) I found that my high pressure line was actually rusted through under the radiator. The high pressure line goes all the way across the front of the car under the radiator and then back. My guess is it is some type of cooling design. Paid about $125 for the new line.

If you look down between the air intake and the motor at the top of the steering box, you should be able to see if your high pressure line is leaking as it goes into the pump. There would be PS fluid on top of the steering box. I would think the High Pressure lines are more prone to leak, but you can see the low pressure line if you lay under the vehicle and look up at the pump. You may have to take the 2 plastic skid plates off.

Mine looked like it was leaking from the the bottom of the radiator. If you look through the mesh in the the middle of the bumper, you can see the plastic trim covering the PS lines (Actually just one line doubling back on itself) Take that off and see if yours were a rusted mess like mine were.

$1900 sounds high, but I can see parts adding up if he goes OEM. Maybe by the parts yourself? I would start with the pump and the PS line. I can't see this taking a professional mechanic more than 2-3 hours to do.
My exact thought! (PROCESS OF ELIMINATION) I am going to start with the pump and then go to pressure lines... I’m pretty sure my mechanic just wanted to do all 3 so I didn’t come back in with the same issue! After driving it for 2 months and checking the fluid level every few days it has stopped dropping at the low mark on the PS fluid reservoir... WEIRD HUH???

Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Overlanding
Default Go with the PS pressure line first

You are on the right path. Start eliminating the easy stuff first. If the power steering still acts right when proper amounts of fluid are in it, do the pressure line. They can leak so much it looks like you cut it's femoral artery. Then the pump, then (God fordid) the rack, unless anyone else can think of another easy step in between.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The right path is not necessarily to wait for a massive failure but go to a do it yourself car wash and power scrub the crap off the engine, then crawl under the truck while it is running a look for the actual leak.