Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild or new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
If cylinder misfire on cylinders 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 then STOP.

Do not have it fixed.
Get rid of it.
I have to disagree here. I had an exhaust leak into cylinder 4, verified by a chemical test. Unable to bleed the system because of the gasses leaking into the coolant system. Against the advice of most folks I told about this, and a Land Rover mechanic friend, I decided on a HG replacement. For the record, my LR Mechanic friend said that if I took this to the dealer, they would automaticaaly tell me I have a slipped liner or cracked block and I would need a new block.

Once I got the heads off, I rented a block test kit from Motorcard LTD. Hooked it up and had NO leakage from the block. Had the heads checked and they were just fine too. Replaced the head gaskets, including all the other gaskets in the set about 6 months ago. Have not had any issues since. No leaking, no ticking, and no more exhaust gasses in the coolant.

I for one think we over-use the "slipped liner" issue. I will be totally honest here and tell you that this was my second HG job in about 3 years and 30k miles, and I was the one that did the first HG job. That was one of the biggest jobs I have done on a car since I replaced the piston rods on my '63 AMC Rambler 25 years ago. The first time replacing the HG's is a b@tch if you have close 100k miles on the engine. I am certain that no matter how closely I followed the RAVE, I was not perfect. I never found where the exhaust leak came from, but it wasn't a slipped liner or cracked block. I can only assume it was the HG's and the possibility that all the head bolts were not torqued equally.

Moral of the story: Don't jump on the assumption that you have a slipped liner or cracked block without seeing it for yourself. A block test will reveal if you have a slipped liner or cracked block (requires removal of heads). Either way, you are in for head gasket replacement, but you might save yourself a few thousand.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have misfire codes for cyl 3,5 and 7. Plugs 5 and 7 wet.
My indie mech is doing a compression test now.

I have the tick when warmed up at idle but disappears when rpm increases.

My oil pressure #'s are good, checked them a couple mnth's ago when diagnosing the tick.

I replaced the lifters so my mechanic is wondering about valve adjustment. I told him I don't think there is any adjustment.

He replaced plugs 5 and 7 but codes returned.

He is going to check fire.

Any sugestion?

He will not rip me, grew up together.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you may want to start your own post.

3,5,&7 are not on the same coil so you can rule that out.

When were your wires last replaced?

What were plugs 5&7 wet with gas, oil or coolant?

Have him preasure test the coolant system while he's there, with the plugs still out.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

One idea of the slipping liner is that at slow piston speed it makes it far enough to ding. As speed increases, the liner can't make the full travel, so the tick drops off. See https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-56419/ for link to a write up someone posted that shows how to do it.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
you may want to start your own post.

3,5,&7 are not on the same coil so you can rule that out. ok

When were your wires last replaced?

What were plugs 5&7 wet with gas, oil or coolant?

Have him preasure test the coolant system while he's there, with the plugs still out.

5 and 7 are wet with oil which he is thinking is blowback if the valves have not closed.

I am sure the wires are toast, well pretty sure. I have not changed them because I thought the engine was on the way out.