Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeaFoam vs. AMSOIL Power Foam for induction cleaning. Anyone! Thought?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You cannot run a engine with the MAF out of the loop, remove your intake tubing and then try and start your truck, it will not run, not at all, wont do it.
But it will throw codes.
So how are you going to spray this Amsoil stuff into the intake to clean it if you cant run the engine?
Thats why they say not to use it on MAF engines.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bosshogt
agthird,
That is probably true but, every 3/4 months I don't want to remove my upper intake and replace the plenum gasket, re-torque the bolts. Spray down the ports and use a plastic bottle brush. I agree that would really clean it up great. But I would only do that when changing out plugs every 30,000 to 40,000 miles
Why in the hell are you cleaning your intake every 3-4 months?
Once a year is all you need at most, otherwise you are just wasting your money.
If your engine needs to be cleaned that often then you have bigger issues that need addressing and not be covered up by snake oil.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

My thinking was to spray it down the throttle body well far away from the MAF sensor. Since the air is being drawn down the throttle body. Maybe use a old coolant hose, to aid in getting past the butterfly flapper. Then shut off the engine, sit for 30 min and so on.
I was only experimenting doing the multiple induction cleanings. I do one every 6 months. I just tried a few in a row since there had never been one performed on my car since I got it. Most people dont even know what these cleanings are if you are not a car guy. I'm starting to become a car guy now owning a Rover and checking the forums. Easy Spike I'm on your team.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Team Owner

No problem Boss, nothing personal, I am just trying to be a hard @ss because nice guys always finish last, so I need to change my tune.

Anyway, the truck will NOT run with the air intake tubing off so you cannot spray the Amsoil stuff into the intake and let it get sucked down in with the engine running, you just cant do it.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That warning is fairly new. Like I said people use the amsoil powerfoam as an induction cleaner in cars with MAFs with no issues. If you are injecting the powerfoam at the plenum there is no way it is going to get to the MAF. Amsoil is CYA because of idiots that don't know what they are doing in cars where the MAF is very close to where they are injecting it in their plenum. If you want go over to bobistheoilguy.com and there are guys that have used the stuff for years, plus there are up front amsoil dealers that have much knowledge about their products.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

The ONLY reason I say you cannot use it on a engine with a MAF is because the engine will not run with the air intake tubing off.
Go start your truck, then remove the air intake tubing from the intake plenum, see how long it stays running.
Not very long is the answer.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can inject the powerfoam at the vacuum port in the plenum like you would seafoam or water. In other engines without a port you inject it in the brake booster line or even in the PCV port. Some people spray it directly in the spark plug holes to do a piston soak.

The thing about the powerfoam is that is is a mix of some pretty potent solvents unlike seafoam that is pretty safe by comparison. It is pretty much a pro type product that definitely can do harm if a person does not know what they are doing.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You can inject the powerfoam at the vacuum port in the plenum like you would seafoam or water. In other engines without a port you inject it in the brake booster line or even in the PCV port. Some people spray it directly in the spark plug holes to do a piston soak.

The thing about the powerfoam is that is is a mix of some pretty potent solvents unlike seafoam that is pretty safe by comparison. It is pretty much a pro type product that definitely can do harm if a person does not know what they are doing.
Ok, now I am on the same page, thank you for clearing that up for me.