Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to mount Tuff Stuff 270 Awning to Baja Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 03:42 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Trying to mount Tuff Stuff 270 Awning to Baja Rack

Has anyone mounted a 270º awning to their Baja rack? I just got my awning, but I can't figure out how to attach the very front bracket, since the front of the rack is a different height. The 2 brackets for the rear shouldn't be a problem, just can't figure out what to do for the front.

Old 11-17-2022, 06:42 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

When I had a Voyager rack I had to use what were essentially tube clamps on the vertical tube above the legs. You may be able to get them from Voyager, but took weeks and every call I got a different answer like "they'll be shipped out tomorrow". I eventually switched to a Front Runner because it is flat and has many more mounting options.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:22 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Here are the Baja awning brackets
https://bajarack.com/collections/awn...overy-2-pieces

There are two types of Baja Rack:

1) The Expedition version (front basket / rear without rails for the mounting of a soft shell RTT)... get the entire set of 3 as shown in the pic

2) The standard version (roof rails throughout the entire length of the rack).... call Baja and see if you can just buy the circled one. You may have to fashion another flat iron piece to adjust for the lower front profile of the roof rack, ie, the flat iron peice will add mounting height for the front part of your awning.

Baja is located in San Diego. If they are not responsive... perhaps a short from Orange Country to San Diego?

Last edited by acg; 11-18-2022 at 12:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OCMike (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 12:09 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

P/S, I have the Expedition version. I dispensed with using the Baja awning mounts.

I asked a buddy to weld a few C-shaped steel brackets along the length of the roof rack. I then drilled differently positioned holes to mount the awning on one side of the truck, and the hi-lift jack on the other side of the truck using these welded brackets.

The following 2 users liked this post by acg:
ace10 (11-18-2022), OCMike (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:12 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by acg
Here are the Baja awning brackets
https://bajarack.com/collections/awn...overy-2-pieces

There are two types of Baja Rack:

1) The Expedition version (front basket / rear without rails for the mounting of a soft shell RTT)... get the entire set of 3 as shown in the pic

2) The standard version (roof rails throughout the entire length of the rack).... call Baja and see if you can just buy the circled one. You may have to fashion another flat iron piece to adjust for the lower front profile of the roof rack, ie, the flat iron peice will add mounting height for the front part of your awning.

Baja is located in San Diego. If they are not responsive... perhaps a short from Orange Country to San Diego?
I actually called up Baja Rack yesterday asking if they could sell just that front piece. Customer service rep didn't have an answer for me, and told me to send an email to them with the same request. I haven't heard back.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:15 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by acg
P/S, I have the Expedition version. I dispensed with using the Baja awning mounts.

I asked a buddy to weld a few C-shaped steel brackets along the length of the roof rack. I then drilled differently positioned holes to mount the awning on one side of the truck, and the hi-lift jack on the other side of the truck using these welded brackets.

I love it! I think this might be my solution. Thank you for the photos. Now I just need to find a local fabricator