Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been a good week for me. Feel like I've posted here every day for the last 5-6 days.

Installed a replacement window regulator. Old regulator broke at some welds/rivets. I started thinking that I could drill out the welds/rivets and then refasten the regulator. Or maybe just JB Weld it.

Ultimately, I went online, found a replacement for $35, and swapped it in. Driver window works again.

Also installed a ladder.

Remaining on the to-do list:
Fix busted radiator hose (part on order)
Replace broken trans sump clip (part on order)
Replace upstream/front o2 sensors--parts arrived today. Going to JB Blast and read some threads on this tonight
Replace PS pump - for the near future

Old 04-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKimble
I added a usb power port at my center console panel. No more cigarette usb adapter and it only cost me $4.
That's brilliant. My next mod for sure. Where did you get it, and what did you get?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Added another exterior customization just below the rear tail light... Always handy to have a bottle opener when you are picnicking while out on a drive!
Love this! Did you put anything under to keep water out? I'm guessing those are self-tapping screws?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattmo78
Love this! Did you put anything under to keep water out? I'm guessing those are self-tapping screws?
The backside of that panel is open to the air anyway.
Self tapping is not a good idea, that aluminum panel can't be more then 1/16th of an inch thick...
When I did mine, I drilled through, put a piece of flat steel bar behind and through bolted....

Would certainly suck to get a bottle cap off and bend your panel in the process

Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
That's brilliant. My next mod for sure. Where did you get it, and what did you get?
Gib 12V to 5V 3A 15W USB DC DC Buck Converter Step Down Module Power Supply | eBay

I just got that. I used my dremel to cut an opening on the center console switch panel cover for the usb. Then cut an opening in the top of the actual switch panel and JB welded the USB port onto it so that the switch panel cover would be flush with it.

I ran the wire from the center console, down the passenger side (where the power seat controls are) down to the passenger seat. Under the passenger seat and connected it to my after market amp power and ground.

Just make sure whatever module you get has 2-3 amps output, or it will take forever to charge your smart phone.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Rock Crawling

I replaced all brakes with Bosch QuietCast. They were only $78 shipped from Amazon and so far they haven't made any noise. Also installed a Goodyear GatorBack belt today.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Gib 12V to 5V 3A 15W USB DC DC Buck Converter Step Down Module Power Supply | eBay

I just got that. I used my dremel to cut an opening on the center console switch panel cover for the usb. Then cut an opening in the top of the actual switch panel and JB welded the USB port onto it so that the switch panel cover would be flush with it.

I ran the wire from the center console, down the passenger side (where the power seat controls are) down to the passenger seat. Under the passenger seat and connected it to my after market amp power and ground.

Just make sure whatever module you get has 2-3 amps output, or it will take forever to charge your smart phone.
I just ordered this one and it should be here on Friday and plan on installing it this weekend.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPYYAFA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPYYAFA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Fitted 2x new SLS rear air springs today. Not a difficult job but time consuming. Cleaned and spray painted around the locations on the chassis. The old ones on inspection were cracked quite badly and the lower retaining band was very rusty. I reckon they were due to fail big time soon.

TF rear shockers too long for the air springs TF119's are 1" (25mm) longer than the LR OE shockers.

Noticed the top bush on the Watts was a bit wonky and the whole of the Watts bushes need replacing along with the radius arms bushes. Also noticed the passenger side rear axle bump stop rubber was missing.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Fitted 2x new SLS rear air springs today. Not a difficult job but time consuming. Cleaned and spray painted around the locations on the chassis. The old ones on inspection were cracked quite badly and the lower retaining band was very rusty. I reckon they were due to fail big time soon.

TF rear shockers too long for the air springs TF119's are 1" (25mm) longer than the LR OE shockers.

Noticed the top bush on the Watts was a bit wonky and the whole of the Watts bushes need replacing along with the radius arms bushes. Also noticed the passenger side rear axle bump stop rubber was missing.
don't you just love crawling under for a quick job and finding 19000 other things you need to do. my a.d.d. never lets me finish the job I start, until every subsequent finding has been dealt with on the way.
also, if that compressor ever craps out, I have 2 good ones just sitting here, but not sure how devilish shipping is to that 3rd world country, you live in.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:10 AM
Three Wheeling

I added a usb power port at my center console panel. No more cigarette usb adapter and it only cost me $4.
Woah - very slick - any info on the install - what do you use to get the 12v down to 5 for the usb, and is it hooked into your stereo or anything, or do you just use it for charging? Oops - never mind, saw that post above with the converter and details...

All I did today was have a little fun at work heading down the mountain:

Name:  20140414_132205_zpsfaa80e54.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  96.7 KB

Not bad for street tires and stock suspension - I need some better tires, and I could have some real fun up there...

Last edited by bootzilla; 04-17-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?