Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They cannot drop into bottom of engine due to the lip, I posted pictures to prove it. Others second my thoughts on a prescreen filter and I also let the op know that I had never seen one before. I never played it off like I was the final word on it.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Look man, you said you only post one things you said you have experience with, which is untrue. You said it's impossible to drop down, which it isn't. That's not experience, that's just an educated guess. Your image file name is 2006_block_casting.jpg by the way, which in many opinion was the worst year of the DII... or something.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Look man, you said you only post one things you said you have experience with, which is untrue. You said it's impossible to drop down, which it isn't. That's not experience, that's just an educated guess. Your image file name is 2006_block_casting.jpg by the way, which in many opinion was the worst year of the DII... or something.
On the D2 the liner cannot drop down into the bottom end. Period, impossible. On the d1 it can. Have you even had your oil pan off before and looked up in there?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't agree with the term "nothing is impossible", but this is very possible. I don't personally know what the cylinder liners look like on an 03, and no I've never taken a flashlight to the bottom of the engine when the oil pan was off for the new head gasket.

Basically this what you're saying: it's impossible, I've never seen it.
Basically what I'm saying: My mechanic has seen it and has more experience than you, so why keep arguing?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

why did your mechanic take the oil pan off for a head gasket replacement? All the d2s have this lip. Maybe, he doesnt know as much as you think if he has to take the oil pan off to change the headgaskets.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Camel Trophy

I took off the oil pan to put a new gasket on it when it was leaking. It happened to be when we were doing the head gaskets.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey, didn't we cover this in another class? In these blocks, the liners drop down to the lip where they should have been in the first place, not into the pan. The liners weren't pressed fully into the block when they were manufactured so they have the potential to move. Once they get loose, they are then free to hammer between the lip and the head.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Hey, didn't we cover this in another class? In these blocks, the liners drop down to the lip where they should have been in the first place, not into the pan. The liners weren't pressed fully into the block when they were manufactured so they have the potential to move. Once they get loose, they are then free to hammer between the lip and the head.
Your absolutely right, my wording has always been drop into the bottom of engine. They do in fact get loose and tap the ever living daylights out of the head but, they dont drop into the bottom end like the D1s.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i pulled out the front headlight and popped it into my D1. i swept the leaves away from the tires.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say by the same thought process that installing a CDL is a cruch for most, that there would be no reason to install such things as all terrain tires, winches, lifts, lockers, CBs, or auxillary lights. Anyone that knows anything about offroading and has skill should be able to identify any situation where you would need these things and avoid it by picking a better path.

I look at the CDL issue like this. Traction control is like stock headlights. Yes they will let you see in any type of darkness, but if you put auxillary lights on (like a CDL) you can see more than you could before. No reason to run into something first. I honestly believe the difference between stock/auxillary lighting is the same as TC or TC with CDL.

Last edited by BrandonS; 01-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?