Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks like fun! That's one thing I've never done is wheel in the sand! Good stuff.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I lost the left side of my bumper on the face of a large dune.
When you get the new on try to drive up/down the dunes rather than hitting them.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Throttle body heater plate

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Rolled over 200k today...

Fresh off of a wonderful gift from Santa... The old Throttle body heater plate gasket fail. First clue was a few P0303 codes while on the freeway, still felt like it was running fine though. Saw the puddle on the valve cover while checking the oil. Being away from home on a trip and planning more driving I checked with an Indy shop I use frequently and they were so slammed they couldn't look at anything until the 3rd. So I went by a dealership and overpaid for the kit. $50 for the new plate, gasket, and new throttle body gasket.

Read up on the procedure here and got it done in about 40 minutes, once I found a 7/32" nut driver which worked instead of the 5.5mm. Except it didn't quite work well enough as it started leaking 3 days later again... Took apart and redid only tighter... took about 20 minutes the second time :-)

Fingers crossed.
Dave - if it leaks again try some Permatex on the gasket before you snug it up again. Mine was leaking last year and from reading on the forum I did a nice, easy spray of Permatex on both sides of the gasket, tightened it up and haven't had a leak since.

The following users liked this post:
Dave03S (01-03-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by TjTalan
The Disco was great, 4 day 450 mile round trip deep into the desert. I lost the left side of my bumper on the face of a large dune.
That's quite the debris field you left on the side of that dune. Truth be told, though, a direct hit from a bumblebee at fifty...will do the same amount of damage to that cheap plastic bumper...lol.

I'd surely pay-out/unwind that winch rope and clean...that sand will work like sandpaper.

Thank you, for sharing the great photos on your outing...good stuff.

Brian.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Removed SAI pump and relocated inertia switch and evaporation system vent canister (?) down on inner fender, and mounted washer bottle in their place. All wired up and working, just need to add one small bracket to the lower mount of the bottle. It was 14 degrees F while I was doing this outside at work, while on lunch, so once l got it wired up...l said **** on the bracket until tomorrow.

I'll remove the rest of the SAI exhaust manifolds once I make up some plugs for the heads. Although, I may just use the extention that comes out of the head and put a piece of copper under the cap that normally would hold the tube.

Haven't done anymore fab-work on the new bumper...work has gotten in the way of my to-do list.

Brian.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

In the last 72 hours...

1. Had Yoko Icegaurds mounted and balanced
2. Had alignment adjusted
3. Replaced worn out hi/low & e brake boots with new leather
4. Trimmed and installed rubber mats all around

Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Removed SAI pump and relocated inertia switch and evaporation system vent canister (?) down on inner fender, and mounted washer bottle in their place. All wired up and working, just need to add one small bracket to the lower mount of the bottle. It was 14 degrees F while I was doing this outside at work, while on lunch, so once l got it wired up...l said **** on the bracket until tomorrow.

I'll remove the rest of the SAI exhaust manifolds once I make up some plugs for the heads. Although, I may just use the extention that comes out of the head and put a piece of copper under the cap that normally would hold the tube.

Haven't done anymore fab-work on the new bumper...work has gotten in the way of my to-do list.

Brian.
what bumper do you have?

i thought about that relocation as well, but with an imminent move to California I'm stuck with keeping SAI.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Waiting for lucky8. To drop more information on

Prayers have been answered...

Old 01-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

That's Eric Brown's 5.3 LS test truck. It's running the stock Bosch engine management system. Probably the way to go for a swap.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
That's Eric Brown's 5.3 LS test truck. It's running the stock Bosch engine management system. Probably the way to go for a swap.
Yup. Fully aware. Cant wait for the kit to become available. To hell with headgaskets,

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?