Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's been a while, but with some help from a mechanic friend a whole lot has been done to my DII.

I want to start out giving a big thanks to Abran for the advise on how to go about fixing and what to fix. Thanks to all the other members for the informative and educational posts on this unique, to me, beast. I knew when I purchased it that it would need certain modifications and parts replacements to get it to be a near daily driver and great down the road off roader.

My Disco falls in the bad VIN range and with just over 150k and not knowing what was previously done to it mechanically I decided after communicating with Abran to fix the major stuff now before pushing it. I've owned it for a while, but really haven't driven it much due to suspicions of what it might need. While I was at it, I decided to do the suspension with a TerraFirma 3" lift kit. So here is what was done to it...
TIMING CHAIN
CHAINWHEEL CRANKSHAFT
SERPENTINE BELT
CAMSHAFT SPROCKET
ENGINE FRONT COVER
TENSIONER/IDLER PULLEY KIT
-TENSIONER ASSEMBLY
-PULLEY IDLER 80MM
-PULLEY IDLER 70MM
O RING ENGINE OIL FILTER ADAPTER
OIL PUMP GEAR KIT W/GASKETS
-GASKET WATER PUMP
-O RING OIL PICKUP
-OIL SEAL ENGINE FRONT
-GASKET FRONT COVER
-GASKET OIL PAN
WATER PUMP (180 THERMOSTAT PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED)
EXPANSION TANK CAP (TANK PREVIOUSLY REPLACED)
TERRAFIRMA PANHARD ROD ASSEMBLY
BUSHING FRONT RADIUS ARM TO AXLE 2X
TERRAFIRMA TRACK ROD/DRAG LINK ASSEMBLY
DRIVESHAFT RUBBER COUPLING
TERRAFIRMA STEERING DAMPER
TERRAFIRMA PANHARD ROD ASSEMBLY
Terrafirma D2 3in TFXT Plus (LIFT KIT, SPRING, SHOCKS AND BRAIDED BRAKE LINES)
Terrafirma Discovery 2 Shock Turrets

I'm sure there's some little things I'm forgetting. With this and all the previous work I've done to it, I'm hoping to get this baby to be a solid driver both on and off road.

Here's some pics...looks like I need some more meat on those wheels! Maybe some different wheels and tires later. 16"...17"?...

Last edited by rossagge; 06-07-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:29 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking solid Ed!

I will say that after you do all that stuff, you should have a strong sense of how well your truck will hold up. If you're like me, then you should have a new found trust in your D2 lol

Very tastefully done

Old 06-07-2017, 07:42 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by zoltan7
Looking solid Ed!

I will say that after you do all that stuff, you should have a strong sense of how well your truck will hold up. If you're like me, then you should have a new found trust in your D2 lol

Very tastefully done
Thanks much! Sad part is I wasn't able to pick it up from my mechanic. Had to have him finish it up as I was due to be out of town for work. My wife picked it up. Had to jump up in it and drive it home, haha. Said it sounds and feels much better. It will be a few weeks yet before I get to enjoy it. Would love to have spent some more time under it. I'm sure when I return there will be something on her that will require some much needed one on one quality time...the Disco that is! The wife will get her's as well😅

Old 06-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by zoltan7
no idea how you changed that pump and it isn't groaning. I'm battling mine hard currently
I wanted to update you. I have been dealing with steering issues for the past 12,000 miles or so, as I mentioned. I was convinced it was the steering box, but after soaking the bolts on the lower steering U Joint I can now see it is totally knackered. Looks like a driveshaft ready to go.

I recommend getting out some degreaser, like Purple Power, soaking the lower U Joint and scrubbing it clean, and making sure it is in good condition.

Last edited by CollieRover; 06-07-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:47 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rossagge, What light bar mount is that, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by djones1869
rossagge, What light bar mount is that, if you dont mind me asking?
No problem. They're Smitty Built drip/rain rail mounts for Defender. I believe I bought them on ebay. Kept pricing different sources and made some offers. They do make the light bar mount high even at the lowest adjustment, so I also bought adjustable mounts for the lightbar itself that will allow it to be lower. Otherwise the bar creates a crap load of wind noise and buffeting.

Last edited by rossagge; 06-07-2017 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
djones1869 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 01:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll have to take the clock back out n take some pics. I got creative using one led from a cheap 194 style led bulb. I had gotten a twenty pack off Amazon for like two bucks. So eachbulb had five leds on their own little circuit boards, the board was also the same width as the connections for the light in the clock. I bent the wires in the clock away from the plastic and soldered the led board to them and bent it back into place. So the led was just shining in the hole. Works perfect

Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I fixed a 32GB iPad Mini 1 for $42 to use strictly on Disco Myrtle. I've loaded the RAVE manuals, car apps (Ultra-Gauge Blue) and 17GB of music!
$12 for a busted digitizer screen iPad mini
$20 for the replacement iPad glass digitizer overlay
2 hours to cautiously change out the iPad screen
$10 for a digi-camo iPad case

Voila! Rocking out to Nazareth's Hair of the Dog while watching my truck's stats.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 06-08-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrafirma steering damper

Put on a new steering damper. Off with the original rover one. First mod\upgrade. Just picked it up the end of May. Did the water pump two weeks ago.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I fixed a 32GB iPad Mini 1 for $42 to use strictly on Disco Myrtle. I've loaded the RAVE manuals, car apps (Ultra-Gauge Blue) and 17GB of music!
$12 for a busted digitizer screen iPad mini
$20 for the replacement iPad glass digitizer overlay
2 hours to cautiously change out the iPad screen
$10 for a digi-camo iPad case

Voila! Rocking out to Nazareth's Hair of the Dog while watching my truck's stats.

I got this mount on Amazon for $20.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?