Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Freaked the out of myself running to the store around lunch time. Saw the temperature gauge creep up as I was belting out tunes, instantly pulled over and shut it down. Was a dumb *** and tried taking the coolant cap off of the reservoir, splattered myself with some hot coolant but nothing that did any permanent damage. Grabbed my coolant bottle out of the hatch in the back, sat there for a bit with hood up on the side of the road, waited for cars to clear and emptied what I had into the tank. It wasn't enough. Hitched a ride to the general store up the road, grabbed a salad and 50/50 coolant and headed back to the Rover. Filled it up, waited a few, started her up and she seems to be running ok..

I hope.

I take solace in the fact that things weren't boiling over when I pulled to the side of the road. I'm hoping I caught it in time and didn't do permanent damage to the engine.

I'm assuming the leak is because the reservoir has a crack in it and I need to change it out. Hoping again.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie

Nearly 1000 mile road trip up the California Central Coast to Monterey and back for car week. Included a foray out into the dunes at Pismo.

Truck performed flawlessly.
I saw your truck parked in Monterey in a lot up the street from the Aquarium. My wife and I were admiring it. Glad it performed well and behaved itself.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnHZ3
I saw your truck parked in Monterey in a lot up the street from the Aquarium. My wife and I were admiring it. Glad it performed well and behaved itself.
It was a fantastic trip. The cool thing was being able to drive in comfort on the road, but then jetting off onto the dunes as well.

It's funny: there were so many amazing cars up there, but the old girl seemed to get just as many looks. It's cool when a guy driving an Aventador pulls up next to you at the coin op car wash and takes 5 minutes checking your 17 year old D2 out. Got some long pauses at Laguna Seca and at the Concorso Italiano too.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 08-23-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Looks great!
I had already planned on doing this, as I have on several vehicles.
Best leds I've gotten are from
www.superbrightleds.com
I've ordered several China cheapos on ebay, and they've all been junk. They would only last a couple weeks, then die.
I've yet to remove the gage cluster/speedo. I'm curious if it has standard bulbs in it like I think it does. Or if it needs leds soldered to it as well.
I ordered alot of parts this week, including an Ultra-gage, which has a blue screen. That reminded me I needed to order some blue T5 leds so the dash matches, and the green is gone.
Thanks for posting this! I'll post mine when it's finished.
And there's bulbs too. The plastic cover thing over the bulbs is green, so changing the bulb colour will not fully work. You'll have to bleach the green part of the cluster cover.

Last edited by Twix; 08-23-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisw7562
Supplier for the T5's? Pics on how you soldered one into the door lock switch? Did they automatically become dimmable or did you have to do something extra for that?
my bad... I did the LED mod early in the morning and didn't take any pics. I'll take some pics and post them on another LED post so people don't have to scroll through 436 pages to find the info.
I got the T5 LEDs from this ebay seller...
20x Blue T5/ T4.7 Neo Wedge LED Bulbs Dash Climate Control Instrument Base Light | eBay
For the door lock switch ... I disassembled one of the ebay LEDs from the plastic T5 holder, I took apart the door lock switch, removed the old green LED (like in the pic below), soldered in the blue LED from ebay, reassembled the switch and installed it.

For the clock and the climate control it was a 1 for one swap of the bulbs for the new blue T5 LEDs. But for the clock, I had to totally disassemble it to remove the green screen so the blue LED could be seen through the clock.
The LEDs are dimmable from the driver's side dimmer switch with no mod needed.

I'm curious if it has standard bulbs in it like I think it does. Or if it needs leds soldered to it as well.
The bulbs in the climate control are the standard incandescent type with a green plastic sleeve over it. They aren't solder in but more of a twist and pull out for replacement.

Is the carbon fiber print on your dash a pre-made kit, or did you cut a piece of cf sticker material?
The carbon fiber kit was already installed in the Disco when i bought it so I don't know where the previous owner got it from.
I was going to remove it but it grew on me so I kept it.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 08-24-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Replaced water pump and found out that the noise I was hearing wasn't the water pump at all, but a loose bolt on the PS pump pulley. Locktite and re-torque now it's nice and quiet.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
For the door lock switch ... I disassembled one of the ebay LEDs from the plastic T5 holder, I took apart the door lock switch, removed the old green LED (like in the pic below), soldered in the blue LED from ebay, reassembled the switch and installed it.
JUKE - Thanks for the info!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Havent touched mine since we loaded it onto the trailer to bring it home from The ill fated test drive. In the process of loading it, the ramps that I had broke. They were 3 section folding ones and they both snapped at a hinge. Yesterday I had them repaired using 2"x 1/4" thick steel angle iron. I laughed openly when we broke them because frankly, this was the second time I had used them (the first was trailering it home) and I was surprised they didn't break the first time. So... fixed my ramps!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Juke

Did you finish the instrument change over? I found in my truck (2002) that the was a green condom cover on the bulb, but that the actually part that the gauge info is printed on has green tint where the light would shine through. Did you have that too? How do you plan on changing that to either clear or blue?

I want to change mine to reddish orange, like a GM or BMW. Amber/red light at night is easier on fatiguing the eyes, although harder to glimpse at and read information.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Twix
Juke

Did you finish the instrument change over? I found in my truck (2002) that the was a green condom cover on the bulb, but that the actually part that the gauge info is printed on has green tint where the light would shine through. Did you have that too? How do you plan on changing that to either clear or blue?

I want to change mine to reddish orange, like a GM or BMW. Amber/red light at night is easier on fatiguing the eyes, although harder to glimpse at and read information.
Hey Twix... doing the instrument panel is next on my to do list after I change the window button LEDs.
I'm kind of leary taking the instrument panel all apart. I don't want to bugger it up.
I understand what you mean about the BMW interior reddish lights being easier on the eyes. My wife has them in her X5.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?