Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Brian - The inner weights go on both sides, I can take a picture on my rims to show you. I do beg to differ that the rim mounts provide better balancing as none of my high performance cars nor the track cars have weights mounted on the rim lips. If this did provide better balancing, my assumption would be that the high performance community would be leveraging this instead of the inner mount weights, however, I am not an expert and have no data to back up my comment other than personal experience and what I see at the track.

My thoughts...it may just boil down to ascetics as I could not find any articles on advantages of lip mounted verses adhesive. But, I am still very interested if anyone has some info that provides advantages from one set up to the another.
Not much to compare when you consider the size of a sports/track cars tire. The side wall is about 1/6 of the height, or less, so material imperfections would be minimal. Plus, track/sports car tires are made to a whole different level of perfection/quality...ment to go sometimes well over 180mph.

Off-road/larger diameter tires are the bottom of the food chain in performance, quality and intergerty. There is much more room for deflection in material on a larger tire, so balancing becomes difficult to do on the inner portion of the rim...alone.

Just going to leave it that.

Brian.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put on my insulated coveralls and crawled under it with proper tools to change the CPS. I thought I read that it was by #7 cylinder. I have got nothing there but a ground strap. Came back inside. Watched a short video- Thanks Lucky8- Went back and did it, except for the plug. How the heck does one reach that? I don't see there's length to move it anywhere.

Last edited by freedisco; 11-12-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Drove the Disco2 to a local PullApart, crawled under a junked Disco2 and salvaged its XYZ neutral safety switch.

$600 new.

$11.25 at Pull A Part. Used a 10mm spanner and a 13mm. Just 3 nuts and 1 plastic wiring harness connection to undo.

Didn't have to jack up the vehicle. Didn't have to remove anything else. 15 minutes for the whole shebang if you include washing my hands afterwards.

Easy.

Now I have a spare!

Last edited by No Doubt; 11-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Drove the Disco2 to a local PullApart, crawled under a junked Disco2 and salvaged its XYZ neutral safety switch.

$600 new.

$11.25 at Pull A Part. Used a 10mm spanner and a 13mm. Just 3 nuts and 1 plastic wiring harness connection to undo.

Didn't have to jack up the vehicle. Didn't have to remove anything else. 15 minutes for the whole shebang if you include washing my hands afterwards.

Easy. Now I have a spare!
I've done this a couple of times and now have a couple spares. Now that you have it do yourself a favor. Take it apart, clean it up, double check its condition and rehab it as needed. Put it back together and have the confidence it will be in good condition if and when you need it.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seem to have developed a coolant leak, hard to pinpoint the location but I fear the head gaskets, hopeful it might be the front seal in the water pump.

I had planned a tear down in the spring of the front housing and oil pump.

If I can't locate the leak, I'll just have to put up with it. Too cold now to be working on the vehicle in the drive, not for me but for the temps of the metal and how they need to be bolted together and torqued.

Should have bought that GX460 lol.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:30 PM
fgd
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grammin
Seem to have developed a coolant leak, hard to pinpoint the location but I fear the head gaskets, hopeful it might be the front seal in the water pump.

I had planned a tear down in the spring of the front housing and oil pump.

If I can't locate the leak, I'll just have to put up with it. Too cold now to be working on the vehicle in the drive, not for me but for the temps of the metal and how they need to be bolted together and torqued.

Should have bought that GX460 lol.
There's also a weep hole in the water pump that will leak as the pump goes bad. I had that happen over the summer and it took me a while to pinpoint that as the leak. Worth checking.

The following users liked this post:
grammin (11-15-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Finished rock sliders.

For chits and giggles...made up a small skid plate for under winch plate.

Brian.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

-Been dealing with keyless entry issue for years; after sitting all night in cold weather, fob would not unlock doors. -Had to use key in door to unlock. Came across an old service bulletin on Dweb about this issue. Only fix is to replace the receiver module in the roof. Apparently the defective receivers go into sleep mode. Don't know why only in cold weather, but the sb mentioned that the problem is more prevalent in the cold. Since I was going to take headliner down (again) to install roof rail extensions supplied by Shift on the Fly, I replaced the module with one supplied by Paul Grant. Works great now! Range is better too. Also gonna insulate the roof while I'm there; others have said it makes a big difference in summer.
This is all after replacing my rear diff that failed, with a good used one supplied by Randy at Rover Bones, and replacing all calipers, brakes and rotors, power bleeding and now having brakes that I don't have to double pump any more! Thanks to Sotf, Paul and Randy for the parts! Will this never end?? -just kidding, I love doing this stuff when I have the time, and the truck is running better than ever (knock wood)!

Old 11-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have panhard conversion and my welded bracket snapped (not my conversion or welding). It was a wild thing to drive lol but not horrible.

I just cleaned the metal really well and welded on angle iron for a new platen to weld the bracket to.

The thing that really gets you during the conversion is making sure to ground the welder right. I burnt both custom extended brake lines (+150mm) like a moron trying to ground to the spring

Old 11-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Left mine on jackstands while I wait on my order from RovahFarm... What's the normal wait time from them?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?