Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks everyone for their ideas on this.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Bummer... destroyed the threads on the half shaft trying to get the nut off. Next time I won't stake that nut so good...

I found a Heri Automotive half shaft for $35 and a Surtrack/Trakmotive for $75 on RockAuto. Cheap enough... Bought both, hopefully one of them is any good. Now we wait, dead in the water

Old 04-12-2018, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Just clean the threads up with a needle file and you'll be good to go.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Just clean the threads up with a needle file and you'll be good to go.
I used an impact gun, and a solid 8 or 10 threads are completely gone. Sure, some of the threads aren't needed, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few that the nut will want to grip on when tightened?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

You only need 3 full threads of engagement to reach full torque, at least on coarse thread bolts. Fine thread is actually stronger (by length of engagement, not thread number) so if you've got 5 good threads you should be good to go. Really probably more like 4, because it's not like you're getting zero engagement on the buggered threads. You're just getting less.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
You only need 3 full threads of engagement to reach full torque, at least on coarse thread bolts. Fine thread is actually stronger (by length of engagement, not thread number) so if you've got 5 good threads you should be good to go. Really probably more like 4, because it's not like you're getting zero engagement on the buggered threads. You're just getting less.
They are more than buggered, if I try to re-use the shaft I'll have to grind off all the threads haha. I may give it a shot, as I want to see if I can fix this oil leak. Corteco doesn't make front hub seals anymore, so I have to blue bag it. Hmm

Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho_Taco
I swapped out all of the oils and fluids (minus brake because it will be swapped when a new master cylinder comes in), and installed a metal front bumper yesterday afternoon. I would have never sprung for an ARB new, but this one was a CL special for $550 that came with new crush cans and mounting hardware. Just needed a little rust removal and un-denting!

I'm in COS as well, saw that ARB bumper on CL for a long time. Glad someone finally picked it up.
Where in the springs are you? I'm close to Woodmen and Powers.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Bummer... destroyed the threads on the half shaft trying to get the nut off. Next time I won't stake that nut so good...

I found a Heri Automotive half shaft for $35 and a Surtrack/Trakmotive for $75 on RockAuto. Cheap enough... Bought both, hopefully one of them is any good. Now we wait, dead in the water
Did it say to stake the nut in the manual or something? Very weird, l've never ran across any model that ever asked for this. Never seen any model where it was staked from the factory, either. Usually, they give you a new lock nut for reassembly, and that is sufficient once torqued.

Brian.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 04in719
I'm in COS as well, saw that ARB bumper on CL for a long time. Glad someone finally picked it up.
Where in the springs are you? I'm close to Woodmen and Powers.
I'm on the north end of Powers near the Life Time Fitness. I'm glad to see another disco owner in the springs is on the forum!

Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Did it say to stake the nut in the manual or something? Very weird, l've never ran across any model that ever asked for this. Never seen any model where it was staked from the factory, either. Usually, they give you a new lock nut for reassembly, and that is sufficient once torqued.

Brian.
Yes, manual says to stake it. It's not a locknut, it needs the stake

Good news I have a spare CV joint, so I'm going to try and swap just that part first

PSA, rockauto has Bosch fuel pumps for $169. I picked up a spare for the trail

Does any one have an original left front half shaft laying around and can measure the OD of the shaft where the oil seal rides on?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 04-13-2018 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-14-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?