Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Loaded for an outing.

Removed second section of rear seat, for sleeping proposes.

Extra blankets, to go along with the army surplus mummy bag.

Hopefully, I'll have some pictures of the outing.

Brian.
Have fun!!!

Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Coolant leak detected a few pages back, appears to have been a loose screw clamp on the coolant pipe that attaches to the engine inlet above the alternator pulley. Hard too see but was not even finger tight, would probably leak more under pressure due to heat, of course.

Had a high pressure hose leak on the steering system, finally ordered the high pressure hose replacement. Not looking forward to that job but sufficiently worried about it to take care of it now.

One other thing, tried out cruise control on the highway for the first time, Disco was surging up and down. Worst driver I've seen in a while lol. I have a feeling the AT transmission computer is not working correctly on this vehicle. Not enough to affect it driving around but some of the more funky details are off. According to my Autel diagnostic, some readings appear suspect to me.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cps

Laid under the wreck trying to figure out why... why they had to make the pigtail for the crank position sensor so short, why I should have to drop the exhaust to get at the damn thing... you get the idea.

But I harnessed my inner contortionist and somehow I managed to get to the connector, and the associated bolts and nuts. Getting it reconnected was a real experience. My forearm is still a little tender from being jammed in-between the frame rail and downpipe. I had a good chuckle at all the videos and pictures online that show how to do it... without the exhaust in the way.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

Pretty sure I cracked the pinion in my front diff. I stupidly shock loaded the drivetrain trying to yank a tree instead of just cutting it in half. There's been a nice clicking in the front ever since, 3-4 clicks per tire rotation it seems.

I had an extra on the shelf, but I had welded it up about a year ago. I was gonna pop it in the rear and put the open rear in the front, but a year ago I didn't know you werent supposed to ground through bearings. Those are nice and crunchy.

Oh well, reinforced the carrier more anyway with some 3/8" plate. I put a better grounding clamp on my welder and WOW! You can see, those welds are a lot nicer. Made a ton of difference. I'll probably put a new 4.37 ring and pinion on it and some new bearings once I save up the money.

Name:  M44uS70.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  434.4 KB

In the mean time, I decided to drain and refill both diffs even though I did so probably 15k miles ago. Now, I always clean my magnets, but... Oh, this isn't going to be good. Both looked about like this.

Nqis17R.jpg]

Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

One other thing, tried out cruise control on the highway for the first time, Disco was surging up and down. Worst driver I've seen in a while lol. I have a feeling the AT transmission computer is not working correctly on this vehicle. Not enough to affect it driving around but some of the more funky details are off. According to my Autel diagnostic, some readings appear suspect to me.
Your throttle cable & cruise control cable slack needs to be adjusted properly. I honestly get it around 2-3mm at the most and the surging = history. It surges when they're out of adjustment due to the excessive slack in the cable which causes the surging.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Waiting on the transmission output seal before I put my transfer case back in. Then next week I can go get my 2004 cdl shift cable.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Plugs and belt along with compression test. Little low on 7 and 8, also quite a differential between the banks. Welp I have had the infamous tap slipped liner for years now, guess I should have known. O well it still runs and good at that. I’ll keep rockin it.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-photo71.jpg   What did you do with your DII today?-photo971.jpg   What did you do with your DII today?-photo351.jpg   What did you do with your DII today?-photo131.jpg  

Last edited by sickws6; 12-02-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:58 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naivedisco2
What are you having trouble with? This has been about a 20 minute job for me the couple of times I have done it. The retainer clip for the electrical connection is missing on mine so it’s easier to access but I’ve never had a problem reaching up and accessing the bolts and the clip. Unless you don’t mean the crankshaft position sensor.
Originally Posted by Rover De Land
Kinda like the DI side, but include what you did to it AND with it.

Yesterday - PULLED Tree out of pool that hurricanr put there.

Tonight - Changed transmission fluid and filter in my 03 also changed power steering fluid.

Tomorrow - Front U joints and center ball

Tip: autozone doesn't carry filter for 03 dii but ask about a say 98 D1 and they'll have it, exact same part.
Completed: replaced rear left and right air suspension bag, front left window regulator, xyz switch, abs module,.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:05 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 LR Discovery HSE

Completed: synthetic oil change, oil/air/cabin filter replacement, transmission service and topped off all fluids. Did a major engine service at 50k. Currently at 57k the vehicles performs like a champ....no leaks whatsoever! She has been pampered. What do i do at the 60k interval?
Brand new tires - and current with all services. She's gorgeous, yes?!

Old 12-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Your throttle cable & cruise control cable slack needs to be adjusted properly. I honestly get it around 2-3mm at the most and the surging = history. It surges when they're out of adjustment due to the excessive slack in the cable which causes the surging.
Brilliant, thank you, now I think of the obvious. I love it when a fix is simple. I am so used to having new leased vehicles I never even considered this. Last time I had an old vehicle was a 1982 Mark 1 Ford Fiesta XR2 (UK spec).

Happy Holidays to you mate!!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?