Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Mudding
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Took a few months to get around to it but they're finally in. FloFlex watts link and outer arm bushings. To tell you the truth, if I were to do them again I'd go with another brand of better quality... The fitment is weird especially on the outer arms- they're too wide which made putting them back into the bracket a real b*tch. Maybe it was a bad batch but greased em up good and with meticulous back and forth prying, the bolts slaved in.

Last edited by TaylorCadence; 07-17-2018 at 11:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been a while since I posted. So here we go...

Put in a new rear diff on the disco (Roverlandparts.com for about ~$350). Had some slop in there that I tried to quiet with heavier (85w-140) oils but in the end it needed to be swapped. Still having some coolant loss issues. Investigating and probably replacing the radiator is next. I think there is a leak in the main body of the radiator (small but its there). Should I replace the t-stat while I am in there? I have heard stories about them not working out of the box and my current one seems to be working fine... should I risk it?

Also going to look into heat wrapping my exhaust on either side of the front drive shaft. Hoping that might reduce the speed of grease drying in the joints. Anyone had success with this?

Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I’d replace it and go inline

Old 07-18-2018, 09:06 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Dion17
Been a while since I posted. So here we go...

Put in a new rear diff on the disco (Roverlandparts.com for about ~$350). Had some slop in there that I tried to quiet with heavier (85w-140) oils but in the end it needed to be swapped. Still having some coolant loss issues. Investigating and probably replacing the radiator is next. I think there is a leak in the main body of the radiator (small but its there). Should I replace the t-stat while I am in there? I have heard stories about them not working out of the box and my current one seems to be working fine... should I risk it?

Also going to look into heat wrapping my exhaust on either side of the front drive shaft. Hoping that might reduce the speed of grease drying in the joints. Anyone had success with this?

Don't wrap the exhaust, it puts the heat that normally radiates off of it, through it, and through the catalytic converters...and they can't handle it.
A member here recently wrapped his exhaust manifolds, and it made the cats too hot.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorCadence

Took a few months to get around to it but they're finally in. FloFlex watts link and outer arm bushings. To tell you the truth, if I were to do them again I'd go with another brand of better quality... The fitment is weird especially on the outer arms- they're too wide which made putting them back into the bracket a real b*tch. Maybe it was a bad batch but greased em up good and with meticulous back and forth prying, the bolts slaved in.
I just got the same kit. Thx for the warning. Maybe it's better to be tight so your axle isn't flopping around back there..

Old 07-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Mudding
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wjsj69
I just got the same kit. Thx for the warning. Maybe it's better to be tight so your axle isn't flopping around back there..
Lmk how yours turn out. Tight good yes, but you got to be weary of the sleeves in the middle of the bushings. If you torque the bolts too tight (LR specifications) it will obliiterate them. I went with a quarter of the specification and they feel nice and snug.

Thats another thing is that FloFlex includes some jibberish one-liner instructions on how to torque pressing the “outer lip home?” No regard to using silicone grease either. Like with anything, had to do a lot of research on getting it as right as possible with little info or guidance on the internet with poly bushes.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Restitched the steering wheel!

Sixpack577 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Don't wrap the exhaust, it puts the heat that normally radiates off of it, through it, and through the catalytic converters...and they can't handle it.
A member here recently wrapped his exhaust manifolds, and it made the cats too hot.
Not if its after the cat though.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

My daughter's "Randy" got to meet her first 4x4, Spunky, today and do some 4x4ing.

After driving both vehicles, I can confirm that the old CJ-5 is a hip-displacing back-buster compared to the easy-going Disco 2 off road.

Last edited by No Doubt; 07-18-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Sixpack577 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Detailed the interior best I could for an 18 year old truck. Getting her ready for a European Auto Show on Saturday here in Calgary

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?