Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost New Again and again and again......

Today I took 04 D2 to body shop to get estimate to fix rust on roof (Passenger side in front of sunroof). I guess it is a common problem, as I have seen many rust spots in the same area. $800 bucks to repair and paint the whole roof. Dropping it off Monday.
Yesterday I hit pay dirt at the Pull a Part junk yard. Got all new rain gutter drip rails from a 03 Disco. (Including the rare rh front piece) All perfect condition. Mine are cracked. Got those/brand new Land Rover Jack/ window control switches (3 for spares)/ two new sun visors with clips/ almost perfect weather tech window rain guards all for $30.
Saved about $1000 from buying everything new!
I ordered new wheel arches and windshield cowl from Atlantic British to complete the outside restoration, I have replaced almost every exterior trim pieces including all lights/badges etc.
It almost looks brand new. Looking forward to getting a Baja Roof Rack a ARB bumper etc, now that I can quit dumping money into replacing/fixing items. But I love the thing and will never get rid of it! (Drives the girlfriend crazy! So double the pleasure. lol
Travis

2004 D2 SE7
-New 2" Terra Firma Lift/ Goodyear Durtrac Tires
92363 Miles
All normal D2 Mechanical Issues fixed (3 Amigos / Head Gasket/water pump/therm/power steering etc.)

Old 02-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Installed extended stainless brake lines, bled whole system, nice job. Gotta love the jumper to the abs relay for self bleeding.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

I did TWO things to my 04 today.
#1 I came up with a name. He is now officially called Clarkson.
#2 I installed LED dome lights in Clarkson. Massive improvement and nice update.
I also installed the LED bulbs in the 03..yet to be named. LOL!

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-01-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts
Exclamation Pulled Heads - Block Damage!

New owner of a 2004 Discovery which I bought as a project car for me and my son. When I bought it, it was running rough with misfires on 3, 5 and 7. I figured we would replace the plugs, wires, coils and O2 sensors and maybe have to replace the head gaskets. We got it home saw some leakage so we decided to pull the heads and low and behold there is some damage between 5 & 7. My question is this: This is not a daily driver. My son and I were going to get it running, maybe jack it up and take it off road on the weekend. Given this, I'm not sure sure it makes sense to pull the whole engine and replace it. Is this engine toast or is there a quick fix like high temp JB weld or have it filled in with a Tig weld?

Old 02-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts
Exclamation Pulled Heads - Block Damage!

I recently bought a 2004 Disco for $3k as a weekend project for me and my son. It was running rough with misfires in 3, 5 and 7. I figured I would replace the plugs, wires, coils, O2 sensors and maybe have to replace the head gaskets. After pulling off the upper intake, I figured I was already half way there and decided to pull the heads. When I did I discovered damage between the 5 & 7 cylinders. Given that this is just a weekend vehicle for me and my son to play around with, I am not inclined to pull the engine. Anyone have any luck with high temp jb weld or tig patch with something like this? For the life of me, I am not sure what could have caused this damage.

Damage with gasket pulled off

Up close and cleaned off a bit

Head gasket damage.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dad and daughter work day. Learned so much!!! Flushed the radiator. Green coolant had gotten mixed in with orange. Read some bad things about that. Hopefully, now running orange. Have been having some overheating issues and thinking about replacing the thermostat and need to look for a forum on how to do that. Took it for a spin afterward with Dude (my dog).

We filled a 5 gallon bucket with this nastiness.

Greenish orange yikes

Oh, hey Dude!!!!

Old 02-03-2019, 04:34 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

WOW! Most go green and ditch the orange! Orange will work as long as you never have a leak in your entire cooling system. But really most prefer the green.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
WOW! Most go green and ditch the orange! Orange will work as long as you never have a leak in your entire cooling system. But really most prefer the green.
I had been running green until Far North Rover said to go orange. I wonder if it is a cold weather thing? It got switched from green to orange when I had a coolant leak repair at the intake gasket and the intake gasket replaced. The disassembly also found worn plug wires, replaced those, replaced idler pully and cracked airbox lid, etc. Since then, running orange. That was all done in November '18. All had been fine until a few weeks ago I noticed I'd be driving along and then my meter would go crazy and shoot up and I'd be totally drained of coolant. At the time, I didn't know the coolant was switched to orange and so I put in green. So it got mixed. Far North said to go orange and to flush the system out, also try to get any air out of the system.

I dunno?!?!?!

Old 02-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I mentioned this before on the forums but over here in England I’m looked upon as kind is weirdo since I have Valvoline Zerex G-05 coolant in my V8 system.
Most Disco 2 TD5 and V8 owners over here thoroughly endorse the orange Dex-Cool like it’s the only coolant to use. They say Dex-Cool is the way to go as long as you don’t mix it with regular coolant.
To each his own though...

Last edited by JUKE179r; 02-03-2019 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
user 739349 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I swear this thing knows I’m trying to get it ready to sell...

First a check engine light now the 3 amigos... this thing knows what’s going on. I had just fixed all the lights on my 03 and now this one decides to act up.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?