Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 770 Likes on 506 Posts

If only my engine bay was that clean....so much dust and dried mud all over mine lol

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (10-20-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by whowa004
If only my engine bay was that clean....so much dust and dried mud all over mine lol
It helps if you pull the engine out and pressure wash the whole thing. It’s just a simple weekend job!😜

Old 10-17-2019, 02:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt

Happy now?!?
Not really.
Your coolant hose clamps at the T connector need to be rotated to the 6:00 position.

cvhyatt (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

All I use for the filter on my D2 are the inexpensive home air cleaner filters, cut to fit. Lasts for a year before replacement.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Where are you cruising? Last year I did the Long Beach/Ocean Park sand highway in Washington State. Cool place to go. Currently enjoying the backroads on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Also pulled the stat and put in a genuine 180 stat. Flushed all the coolant out. Running with water and purple ice - no coolant.
Had never heard of this stuff so had to look and found this in their own description -

What water/anti-freeze concentration is recommended when using Purple Ice?
Purple Ice may be added to any anti-freeze/water mix; however, testing has shown higher water concentrations yield greater cooling benefits. While Purple Ice does contain corrosion inhibitors as well as lubricants to compensate for a lower anti-freeze/water concentration,
Royal Purple recommends a minimum of 20 percent antifreeze concentration be used in street driven vehicles because Purple Ice has no effect on the boiling and/or freezing point of water.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I completed the first round of restorations on my '99 Disco! Phase One included maintenance items like replacing catalytic converters, upgrading a few hoses & filters, new brakes, and tires. I found a replacement for a missing exterior trim piece and got a new radio so I can talk on the phone without being in violation of the state's hands-free law. I'm pretty pleased with the refurbished rear-view mirror, but I'm most excited about the sun roof. The old one hadn't worked and had been leaking for years (Gorilla tape is your friend in such cases). I got a great deal on a new one a while back, but waited to have it installed until I could have the headliner replaced and roof repainted. I'd love to repaint the rest of The Beast, but that might be Phase Three. There are some interior odds and ends and a few exterior things (mud flaps, mats, flares, wiper arms) that will be Phase Two. For now, I'm just going to enjoy!!

Thanks to everyone here, I've found some excellent resources - including my own repair manual. The guys at the shop have been surprised to see me showing up with my own parts :-)

Old 10-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Overlanding

I can't believe I forgot about the brush guard! It was looking kind of rough - oxidized and chipped with a few rusty spots. When The Beast went in for other work, I had the guys pull the brush guard off so I could clean it up, treat the rusty spots, then use a bit of epoxy to fill the rough edges of the chipped coating. After sanding those spots down, I primed the painted. At first I tried a high heat spray, but that was too shiny and didn't look right with the black Disco. I ended up using engine paint and I really like how it's got a bit of sheen - but not too much because it's cut by the texture.

jastutte (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by SuzSS
I can't believe I forgot about the brush guard! It was looking kind of rough - oxidized and chipped with a few rusty spots. When The Beast went in for other work, I had the guys pull the brush guard off so I could clean it up, treat the rusty spots, then use a bit of epoxy to fill the rough edges of the chipped coating. After sanding those spots down, I primed the painted. At first I tried a high heat spray, but that was too shiny and didn't look right with the black Disco. I ended up using engine paint and I really like how it's got a bit of sheen - but not too much because it's cut by the texture.
any photos?

Old 10-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jastutte
any photos?
It's been raining, so these aren't the best.... It probably would have looked better if I had spent more time on prep, but the brush guard looks so much better than it did!

The following 3 users liked this post by SuzSS:
cvhyatt (10-20-2019), jastutte (10-20-2019), Sixpack577 (10-20-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?