Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 07:25 PM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Temps in the 60's this weekend with a winter storm coming for tomorrow. Sadly I won't be ready for it.

I got the new tranny drain plug and washer installed, and a new fill of ATF. Got my coolant filled and bled and replaced the plastic bleeder screw that disappeared "down there". (Dorman 902-404 works for the bleeder in the plastic tee.)

But sadly the 2 amigos are back. HDC is fine, but for snow (with non M&S tires) I really could use ABS and TC. I removed my repaired SVS and installed a brand new one, including doing option B. Reset codes (twice) but still no luck.

Also I'm still in 2wd mode. I took my front driveshaft to a driveline shop. They replaced the one u-joint I boogered up, balanced and painted it- and threw in a new front yoke all for $78. The downside: the yoke is the wrong size! Grrr....

Finally, I noticed that I'm leaking serious amounts of coolant. Must not have tightened all the clamps right. Or a new leak just appeared. That's a project for after the storm.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by PPorBust
Also I'm still in 2wd mode. I took my front driveshaft to a driveline shop. They replaced the one u-joint I boogered up, balanced and painted it- and threw in a new front yoke all for $78. The downside: the yoke is the wrong size! Grrr....
Make sure they balanced the driveshaft at high and low speeds!

Old 02-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Drifting

Took the driveshaft back to the shop this morning and tried to be very civil when I told them the yoke was the wrong size. They were equally civil when they pointed out that the bolt pattern is rectangular, not square. DERP!

Anyway, if the weather doesn't turn too sucky today, I might just crawl under there tonight and rejoin the 4wd world.

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Make sure they balanced the driveshaft at high and low speeds!
I'm curious: What is the reason for this? (The driveline shop I went to is very highly regarded. Especially after my goof up, I didn't want to second-guess them a second time...)

Old 02-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 778 Likes on 513 Posts

Pending on where in CO, it's fairly sucky in Denver right now. By far not the worst conditions I'd have done car work but if I don't have to I'm certainly not rushing out there to do anything.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Snipped a CB in the little lady's disco this evening. Temporarily just threw a mag base antenna on the roof, but before long I'll get a Firestik thrown onto the spare mount.

Additionally, in the next few minutes I'll have the last four missing lug nuts installed. Tomorrow is tag and title day, as well as inspection sticker day.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Snow started and streets were already a little dicey by end of work day. I drove to a friend's house and used his garage (level floor, no oil slick to lie in, don't have to stick my legs out into the street....)

Got the front drive shaft in, unlocked the center diff, and walla: no amigos! I even reset my SES light to enjoy the moment. (My Disco had the SAP deleted, so it comes right back on. But I can always adjust steering wheel tilt just right and pretend....)

Anyway, ABS and TC are both working great. I tested them on purpose at first, but they activated a several more times on my way home.

I 💘 disco again.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 01:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by PPorBust
What is the reason for this?
The reason for low and high speed balancing is being able to decrease the unbalance tolerances to account for increased unbalance forces of the driveshaft at both lower and higher RPMs.

Glad you got your driveshaft sorted.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 02-04-2020 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:54 AM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Update - drive west...

Originally Posted by 777AIA
I finally got east to pick up my purchase in Springfield, MA. Took her (‘00 Disco II) to a ‘rent a lift’ joint in Hartford, CT and did diagnostics with my iCarSoft (ABS failure, Cruise Control fail, SES not connected to EMS, and that was about it. Reset error codes and started changing fluids. Oil change, front and rear differential, flushed radiator.
Added Ultragauge and started my drive west.
only got to Philly before being called to be at a project meeting, so she is now parked at the airport waiting for me to continue the jaunt to Phoenix.
Got 15 mpg averaging between 70-75 on I95. Ran great all the way. Good temperatures, smooth ride, no ugly sounds.. but definitely noisier than my LR3! But, so far I’m thrilled!
So, left Philly around 12:30 Sunday and cruised west. Spent Sunday night in Morgantown, PA then started early and pushed her pretty good all the way to 26 mi east of Amarillo, TX at 6:20 this morning when battery light popped on and then this:
[img]blob:https://landroverforums.com/5e9c7d6a-738c-45c8-8172-fd7b22d63d21[/img]
..and she stalled out and rolled to a stop.
Got towed to an Amarillo shop and now hunting down an alternator.
I need to remember to keep a battery boost in the car. Won’t recognize key with no power, and can’t shift out of park to get it on a flatbed... but she dragged up ok.
Ran very well on the way here. Ave 17.7 mpg. Cruised 60-70 the whole way. Rode smooth. No real vibrations, shimmys.. bit more wind noise than the LR3!
i

Update - Wednesday:

Arrived Phoenix. Found a 150 amp alternator at O'Reilly store in Amarillo, and got it installed. Cleared out codes except for P1668... which I still have to figure out why it started... ALSO, my ODO is now blinking. Grrr.... I am guessing that when I was stopped on I40 and tow truck pulled me onto flatbed (and it was still in park, sliding across sand on shoulder and then up his metal bed...) that wheels did some 'jump turns' and now ODO thinks it was messed with. I have to figure out how to clear it.
D2 ran great the rest of the way back to Phoenix, including some strong hill climbs through and past Payson and down 87. A nice ride... Introduced her to some local fauna (or wait, thats flora!) and she meets the LR3 tonight... Time for a wash and a rest! - and some AZ tags!

Update: Thursday
Tallied all my receipts and log notes. I averaged 17.7 mpg from Springfield, MA to Phoenix, AZ and I’d say pretty much maintained 70 mph the whole way. Better than I expected!

Last edited by 777AIA; 02-06-2020 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Pic load issue
cvhyatt (02-11-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:10 AM
TReK
Received 770 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by 777AIA
I need to remember to keep a battery boost in the car. Won’t recognize key with no power, and can’t shift out of park to get it on a flatbed... but she dragged up ok.
Lift up the bezel around the shifter and press the lock pin inwards to be able to move the lever without power.

whowa004 (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 12:33 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preparation for a Viking Funeral.

I have had continuous P0101 and 0505 codes for 3 months on my 03 Disco. (Which I have owned since 04.) So today, I decide to let Odin and the Valkyries take it. I have gathered some oak and birch trees for the long boat and I have finished preparing the sacrifices. It will be a glorious VIKING FUNERAL! More than likely it won’t make it to Valhalla. Something else will go wrong with it.

Last edited by 1978 Vik’Odin; 02-05-2020 at 01:43 AM.
Crusader_22 (02-05-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?