Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 09:49 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Yeah, quite the amateur hour mistake to put those weights on the outside!! Take them back and have them repair your powder coat if it is damaged.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Lots of balancing weights aren't an amateur mistake. Yes, a well made tire shouldn't require much in the way of balancing weights, but these weights have a valid engineering purpose. Remember that spinning wheels have vibrations in both axial and lateral planes. Weights are used inside and outside at different points around the wheel's circumference to prevent wobbles as the wheel spins. Putting weights only on the inside rim only prevents this by half of the magnitude. There are videos on YouTube that go into the technical details, some designed to train technicians in how to use balancing equipment in tire shops.

I think the weights are only so noticeable because they contrast so strongly from the newly powder coated black wheels. Why not just paint the weights black with a black touch-up paint pen? Make them darker, and they'll cease to catch the eye.

Good luck,
Scott

The following 2 users liked this post by skucera:
Boostle (11-23-2020), jastutte (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 09:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Wheels

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts. I am thinking I will try another shop, see if I cant shed some weight.

Originally Posted by skucera
Lots of balancing weights aren't an amateur mistake. Yes, a well made tire shouldn't require much in the way of balancing weights, but these weights have a valid engineering purpose. Remember that spinning wheels have vibrations in both axial and lateral planes. Weights are used inside and outside at different points around the wheel's circumference to prevent wobbles as the wheel spins. Putting weights only on the inside rim only prevents this by half of the magnitude. There are videos on YouTube that go into the technical details, some designed to train technicians in how to use balancing equipment in tire shops.

I think the weights are only so noticeable because they contrast so strongly from the newly powder coated black wheels. Why not just paint the weights black with a black touch-up paint pen? Make them darker, and they'll cease to catch the eye.

Good luck,
Scott

Old 11-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I received my FTY racing 3D printed spark plug gap tool made from ABS plastic for $20.
https://ftyracing.com/product/spark-plug-gap-tool/

Old 11-20-2020, 02:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts

@redrover75 I agree with @skucera . If it rides great and they don't vibrate I would paint them instead of having the wheels re balanced. Most wheels have some weights on the outside but silver weights on silver wheels are not as visible.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Five new meats on the wife's Dll. Cooper Evolution Winter - 265/60R18. Bit taller and a smidgen wider, has a nice responsive feel for the road and very quiet. Bring on the snow!

The following 2 users liked this post by The Deputy:
ckadventure (11-22-2020), whowa004 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover75
Got the wheels powder coated, I think they came out pretty well. The shop, Boneheadz did a really nice job, turned them in a few days. New 265-75-16 tires, a slight bit of rubbing on the right front, need to sort that out. But i think they fill the arches well. A question for the board, there is a large quantity of balancing weights on the wheels, is that normal or acceptable? Should I go back to have them re-done? They drive amazingly well, quiet, smooth.
Looks good! Do you have a lift?

Old 11-23-2020, 06:47 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by skucera

Good luck,
Scott
I agree with this. A couple times through mud, rain, and snow and those sticky weights will start to disappear. Paint the weights black.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

No lift, but I had to trim the inside half of the mud flaps on the front to avoid rubbing during turns.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I still had my air box out since I installed the DRL resistor so I sealed up the small 6mm square opening at bottom of it.
Simple task but I’ve wanting to do this for years to keep out water and debris when wading.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?