Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 07:14 AM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
you are correct. I need to stop drinking so much.
I think the person who made that frame/cage is the one who needs to stop drinking.

The following 2 users liked this post by mollusc:
DiscoID (03-22-2021), jastutte (03-23-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Not exactly today but over the last few days. I finally redid the headliner I've had pulled out for over a year.

The following 4 users liked this post by Sandman614:
ckadventure (03-25-2021), cvhyatt (04-13-2021), DiscoID (03-24-2021), The_OGCJR (03-27-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:51 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuenzig
Finally got around to doing Extinct’s in-line thermostat mod and replaced the fan clutch and water pump with a GMB HD clutch and a GMB water pump. This made a HUGE difference. Before, my disco would idle and sometimes run 205+. Now according to the Ultragauge, once it hits 186, it immediately drops back to sub 180. Drove it for a good hour yesterday to work the air out of the system and it never got above 190. Also replaced the hoses with new Gates hoses. Found out my reservoir tank is cracked in the process so I’ve got a new one on the way but of course I couldn’t just get a new reservoir tank. So, I also ordered some new Phillips LED backup lights and Hella high performance 2.0 high/low and fogs.

Also replaced the oil pan gasket, cleaned the pickup tubing and replaced the O-rings on it and the oil cooler piping. The pan was a mess of sludge and carbon, luckily no metal chunks or anything but took me a good hour to thoroughly clean.

Next order of business is gonna be the ATF and running a Seafoam Induction Cleaning.

I actually cleaned my oil pan yesterday as well. How did you clean yours, do you have before and after pics? And I'm cleaning mine because I'm doing the head, oil pan, front cover and other gaskets that need to be replaced in the process.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:53 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sandman614
Not exactly today but over the last few days. I finally redid the headliner I've had pulled out for over a year.

Nice, it looks great. I on the other hand was to lazy and kind of wanted more a utilitarian look and feel so I bed liner my head liner.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoID (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:58 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by HuskerRover
Well, I had what I thought was an exhaust leak at the manifold so I took it into a very respected shop. Found out that the head gasket has gone out on the compression stroke. Have had no codes or anything else suggesting an issue mechanically. just the sound of an exhaust leak.

While the kits are cheap, its the time I dont have nor the cash to pay for someone. While I havent made up my mind 100%, I might be selling as a project.

Anyone interested in an 01 with 120k in Nebraska ?
Just do them yourself, I'm in the same situation you are in. It's not as hard as it looks. I'm pressed with money as well but I'm buying the parts needed slowly. I the mean time while your breaking it down. It would be a good idea to clean out your existing parts. I soaked my valve covers and oil pan in purple power and it did wonders. I have before and after pics.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:19 AM
Mudding
Default Gaskets and cleaning

Long story short, mechanic shop did a crap job on my head gaskets 4 years ago, deciding to replace them myself (overheating and leaking). While in the process I've decided to do some cleaning to the existing parts. I have before and after pics of the valve covers and oil pan. I don't have a before pic of the oil pan, but take yours off and thats what mine looked liked. I cleaned using purple power and a nylon brush attachment on my drill. I could have taken the parts to get hot tanked or whatever but I'm pressed with money and this is something I enjoy doing. Besides it's my Disco and I wanted to give it some TLC I neglected to give years ago.

The valve covers are a lot cleaner than they look. Just took the pic at a weird angle.

The_OGCJR (03-27-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:25 AM
TReK

Presumably you're also changing the valve stem seals and lapping the valve seats while you have the opportunity to do so?

DiscoID (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
Presumably you're also changing the valve stem seals and lapping the valve seats while you have the opportunity to do so?
I do not know how to do all that, I have no experience on such matters. I'm doing all of this at home on the driveway with no mini shop or garage so I'm limited to what I can and can't do. Realistically I would love to drop the motor, transmission, and TC to do a deep cleaning on the undercarriage and overhaul all three of them. So I'll settle for half the engine for now.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:49 AM
TReK

It requires very little in the way of tools to tackle what I'm suggesting. Essentially, a valve spring compressor, some valve grinding compound, a pair of pliers, and some insulation tape. If you've pulled the heads and all of those other parts off, you can do it easily.
There's nothing specific to the Rover engine in regards to this job, so any online guide to replacing valve stem seals and lapping/grinding valve seats will help you.

DiscoID (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:00 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
It requires very little in the way of tools to tackle what I'm suggesting. Essentially, a valve spring compressor, some valve grinding compound, a pair of pliers, and some insulation tape. If you've pulled the heads and all of those other parts off, you can do it easily.
There's nothing specific to the Rover engine in regards to this job, so any online guide to replacing valve stem seals and lapping/grinding valve seats will help you.
Are you talking about polishing the valves? I've seen that done with a drill and sandpaper with water and it was pretty sweet. The guy mirror polished each individual one and I guess it's beneficial in terms of the carbon not able to stick to it due to the smoothness of the valves.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?