Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually took it for a decent drive and it hardly misbehaved. No random stalling, no lights, not so much as a CEL. Treated it to some liquid dinosaur and had an observation of temperatures.
Before the drive I let it idle for half an hour while doing yardwork with the occasional check, using an OBD dongle and Torque. After a spke to 195 it settled down to 185 or so, during the drive it ran nicely from 177 to 185, as long as I was moving-then took it home and watched the temps at idle again, after a few minutes it went up to the 230 range suddenly, like straight up, shut it down, checked the new fan clutch and it freewheeled by hand. Hmmm. Maybe buying the cheap GMB from Ormizon wasn't the best move.
So I'm thinking I still have that fan from the LR3. It was replaced because it would often stay engaged when it didn't need to and the bride complained about the noise and sluggishness....it's sort of a thing with that Jag motor. I've heard Rangies roaring along the street of our local town-that fan moves some air. They engage electrically, ordinarily the PCM sends a modulated signal that allows it to engage at various speeds as needed. I'm thinking of hooking it through a relay triggered from the AC fan and letting her rip.
I have also requested a replacement fan clutch.
I am fairly pleased just to have it rolling under it's own power. I needed it for that dirty job taking the recyclables to the tip and it delivered.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 07:56 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Replaced all 4 door cards with much nicer ones I procured from the local salvage yard. Also test fit my Tuff Rok plug inserts. Just need to wire up the first pair and decide what to put in the other piece.

Next on the list is replacing all the rear cargo trim with an almost perfect set I procured at the same salvage yard. Also in the process of repainting some junked up tail light guards.

Last edited by OCMike; 05-15-2022 at 08:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by OCMike:
ivbyiv (05-17-2022), Jagman78* (05-15-2022), jastutte (05-16-2022), Richard Gallant (05-16-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:31 PM
Mudding
Received 101 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Joying head unit, Android Auto

Been doing quite a few projects on my new to me D2 the last few months, but one of my favorites so far is the head unit from Joying. Easy to wire with a lil forum research, didn't even need to modify any stock wiring, was able do all the wiring on the pigtail that came with the head unit, then just plug and play. Has a DSP with 30 band EQ, so it sounds great even with stock speakers and amp. I think it looks great, although I'm sure that's subjective, but I like the size, easy to see navigation and split screen modes. Voice control, steering wheel controls, phone calls, apps, navigation, front and rear cameras, etc... cheapest way I've seen yet to get all those features, with a reliable unit.

https://www.joyingauto.com/ultra-thi...4g-module.html

whowa004 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
Been doing quite a few projects on my new to me D2 the last few months, but one of my favorites so far is the head unit from Joying. Easy to wire with a lil forum research, didn't even need to modify any stock wiring, was able do all the wiring on the pigtail that came with the head unit, then just plug and play. Has a DSP with 30 band EQ, so it sounds great even with stock speakers and amp. I think it looks great, although I'm sure that's subjective, but I like the size, easy to see navigation and split screen modes. Voice control, steering wheel controls, phone calls, apps, navigation, front and rear cameras, etc... cheapest way I've seen yet to get all those features, with a reliable unit.

looks great! might have to go that route. saving it for future reference.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Camera

Been doing quite a few projects on my new to me D2 the last few months, but one of my favorites so far is the head unit from Joying. Easy to wire with a lil forum research, didn't even need to modify any stock wiring, was able do all the wiring on the pigtail that came with the head unit, then just plug and play.

did you hook up a back up camera? Or, have you looked into what models fit? This could be a nice way to modernize the car.

The_OGCJR (06-13-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 10:50 AM
Mudding

.....Voice control, steering wheel controls, phone calls, apps, navigation, front and rear cameras, etc... cheapest way I've seen yet to get all those features, with a reliable unit.
I'm guessing you missed that last bit of my post? Yep, front and rear cameras are definitely nice to have and work great with this unit... And for folks who don't really like the huge screen, they have a 7" screen that from what I've seen from others, fits perfectly in the original radio's space, and looks great too.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:20 PM
TReK
Received 781 Likes on 648 Posts

I have the 7" screen version. It does fit perfectly, but the viewing angle isn't fantastic and the unit is a little under powered. Still, for a cheap plug and play piece that even retains the steering wheel controls, it's a pretty decent option.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
I have the 7" screen version. It does fit perfectly, but the viewing angle isn't fantastic and the unit is a little under powered. Still, for a cheap plug and play piece that even retains the steering wheel controls, it's a pretty decent option.
I didn't have either of those issues with the model I got, thankfully. 1920x1200 screen looks great from all angles, and my D2 has the factory amp, so I guess I can't comment on power levels as right now this'll blow the stock speakers easily if I was irresponsible. Sounds great and is easily customized with the DSP and 32 band equalizer. I may go ahead and replace my speakers soon, they are 18yrs old after all. They still sound better than anything I ever had in any of my Subaru's though, lol.

If it helps, did you know there are quite a few options in the factory settings and developer options on these Android head units? You can tweek sound levels and outputs pretty easily, plus a whole lot of other stuff. You do need the passwords, but they are usually easy to find with a lil google search. Joying unit PIN codes tend to be 3368, and 8086 for second level options.

The one complaint I would have is that they don't come with great instructions on how to operate the Android system. I think they are assuming folks know how to operate and modify an Android system, including factory settings, launchers, output levels and all the other stuff you can modify. But, if you do know how to tinker with that sort of thing, these head units are awesome. Oh, and being able to tilt the screen a bit might be nice as well, although I'm thinking it'd be fairly easy to modify and 3d print the lil mounts to make that happen

Old 05-19-2022, 08:25 AM
TReK
Received 781 Likes on 648 Posts

I meant computing power (i.e. it's a little slow). I'm still running the stock high-line amp and speakers as well.

Old 05-21-2022, 12:23 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was a hell of a week. Head gasket job, deleted SAI, flowkooler water pump installed new radiator and hoses as well as the inline Thermostat. I also relocated the coil packs with the kit from @Tarheel Rover , now im just trying to hunt down some ignition wire holders to get cleanly over the alternator and AC.

Richard Gallant (05-21-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?