Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 10:01 PM
Mudding
Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts

Cleaned up the drivers side. Removed the bump guards and the stock worn fender flares or whatever.
Looks like I feel after a shave, nude. Kinda like the feel of air getting to odd places, but too lazy to keep it this way.
Umm... +50 mm flares are waiting for install.
Name:  UpqQZoB.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  3.10 MB

Also got a shi*tpart rear ladder put on.
Name:  V3fxETB.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  2.06 MB

The following 2 users liked this post by Dervish:
Extinct (05-02-2022), Richard Gallant (05-02-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Transfer Case

I am chasing all my leaks, a fool errand I am sure. I have/had a leaky transfer case, I endeavored to pull it apart and reseal. Took all the bolts about and the cover to drain it. Put in STP 85/140 with some blue devil. I was not able to find a capacity, it seems somewhere around 3 liters? It was nearly impossible to pump with out heating it up first. It occurs to me that it may be easier to simply run the hose from the transfer case to a funnel and hold it up to let gravity do the work. Note for next time.

Put a bit of Blue Devil in the jack too, I heard that helps, knock on wood I wont need it.

I put in a full gallon, minus a few ounces of spillage.

How much should go it? Just to double check my work.

Hopefully, that puts an end to the leaks from there. I think I probably have a leak at the rear main seal, but does not seem bad enough to warrant a repair.

While I was under there, i tightened up the emergency brake successfully. It works for the first time since I have had it. The 17mm bolt on the drum, easiest fix ever, take that off the list.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover75
I am chasing all my leaks, a fool errand I am sure. I have/had a leaky transfer case, I endeavored to pull it apart and reseal. Took all the bolts about and the cover to drain it. Put in STP 85/140 with some blue devil. I was not able to find a capacity, it seems somewhere around 3 liters? It was nearly impossible to pump with out heating it up first. It occurs to me that it may be easier to simply run the hose from the transfer case to a funnel and hold it up to let gravity do the work. Note for next time.

Put a bit of Blue Devil in the jack too, I heard that helps, knock on wood I wont need it.

I put in a full gallon, minus a few ounces of spillage.

How much should go it? Just to double check my work.

Hopefully, that puts an end to the leaks from there. I think I probably have a leak at the rear main seal, but does not seem bad enough to warrant a repair.

While I was under there, i tightened up the emergency brake successfully. It works for the first time since I have had it. The 17mm bolt on the drum, easiest fix ever, take that off the list.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...archTerm=spout

I used this attached to this style bag to do my diffs on sunday and it was awesome. I bought a gallon of gear oil and just refilled the soft sided liter bag.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...chTerm=75w-140

Rave says 2 liters (4.1 pints / .6ish gallons) for a refill. a little more if it's totally dry. I fill mine until it runs out the fill hole, wait for it to dribble and then close it back up.

Old 05-03-2022, 12:19 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapped out my battery for the second time in three years. Fortunately, it was under warranty. I definitely have a gremlin draining my battery that needs to be found.

Upcoming projects:
- Replace front windshield wiper motor.
- Fix door lock actuators
- Fix heated seat short
- Gas tank clip
- Re-secure radiator
- Replace right front hub
- Replace right rear axle shaft
- Replace gear selector cover
- Repair A/C for the summer
- Fix 3 Amigos
- Headliner
- Replace C Pillar Plastic
- New fender flares
- Find leaks
- New head unit?
- ... much much more, I'm sure.

This stuff really adds up when you write it all out. Although she's no longer my daily, I never fail to smile when I'm driving her.

Old 05-03-2022, 12:35 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

@flanker6 sounds like my list
  • replace all rotors & pads
  • replace rear transfer case seal
  • replace the rubber donut on the drive shaft
  • replace remaining 3 o2 sensors
  • Tighten Y pipe bolts
  • Remove spare tire, clean studs and add new anti-seize
  • finally put new hood release cable
  • fix lower right rear moulding and body work damage
  • adjust rear bumper
  • remove RTT and clean the roof

The following users liked this post:
flanker6 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 12:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Before you go into a big panic regarding the battery drain. Clean your battery and alternator contacts. I had a bad ground (I think) on my ‘97 D1 on my alternator basically fell apart. Easy fix. Besides it was time to check the belt anyway.

The following users liked this post:
flanker6 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 12:40 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

@flanker6 if you have an ODB dongle pull it, I had an old one that would not sleep and drain my battery right down in 3-4 days max. Replaced and no issues since

Old 05-03-2022, 01:03 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@flanker6 if you have an ODB dongle pull it, I had an old one that would not sleep and drain my battery right down in 3-4 days max. Replaced and no issues since
Very Interesting. Sometimes the ultra gauge with be on when I get into the truck. "Scanning, scanning, scanning" forever.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by JoJo The Giraffe
Before you go into a big panic regarding the battery drain. Clean your battery and alternator contacts. I had a bad ground (I think) on my ‘97 D1 on my alternator basically fell apart. Easy fix. Besides it was time to check the belt anyway.
Good call.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:57 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Finally installed my Rexypow snorkel that I had in storage for a few years. POR15'd the chassis and sliders. Replaced the front hubs.

The following 2 users liked this post by acg:
Richard Gallant (05-04-2022), T-rex (05-04-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?