Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Very exciting. I would definitely be in favor of running a GM alternator vs one made by Land Rover. Does anyone know the difference in amperage the GM alternators are capable of vs the stock discovery?
I believe CaptainAaron upgraded his alternator to one from the Range Rover because it had a higher output?

Old 09-28-2021, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
Very exciting. I would definitely be in favor of running a GM alternator vs one made by Land Rover. Does anyone know the difference in amperage the GM alternators are capable of vs the stock discovery?
I believe CaptainAaron upgraded his alternator to one from the Range Rover because it had a higher output?
GM made 3 varieties of LS truck alternator — 105A, 145A, and 160A. The 105A wouldn’t be enough for the Disco. The 160A requires a PWM controller unless you change the regulator, so the 145A would be the obvious choice.

Factory LR Disco alternator is 130A. I upgraded to the 150A unit from the 99-02 P38 Range Rover, which fits with no mods.

The following users liked this post:
losinov (09-30-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Random plastic part

Hello,
As I slowly reassmble this vehicle back together.. Ive come across a random peice of plastic covering which I don't know where it belongs.

Any ideas?

Old 10-07-2021, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
Hello,
As I slowly reassmble this vehicle back together.. Ive come across a random peice of plastic covering which I don't know where it belongs.

Any ideas?
That is the passenger side trim piece that goes under the glove box next to the passenger side door. It covers up the Rover ECU.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:55 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh God... What a ****..🤦🏼‍♂️
Thank you!

Old 10-19-2021, 01:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS Swap Wiring Assistance

Hi All,

New to posting to the forum but have been following this thread for over a year now. I have undertaken he ACE conversion LS Swap and have run into a head scratcher that I'm hoping someone can provide a bit of guidance to me.

Bit of information on the build to aid in providing responses:
  • 2004 Disco 2 SE
  • 2004 LM$ as donor motor for heart transplant
  • ACE Conversion Kit used
  • ACE modified original rover harness
  • PSI LS harness per the ACE Specifications
  • PSI Red/Blue ECU per the ACE Specifications
The main question i have is tied tot he transmission and the connections. On the PSI harness i do not have a connector that appears to work with the existing connections on the transmission.

Photo below shows the connections off of the transmission

Photo below shows the connectors that remain to be connected but none appear to be correct for the transmission

Would greatly appreciate any guidance from the guys that have completed the LS swap and have their rigs running.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 10-21-2021, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by IamGoose

Would greatly appreciate any guidance from the guys that have completed the LS swap and have their rigs running.
For the connections in the trans:
Leave the circular Land Rover connection in the transmission. The two square black connectors go in the transfer case - I think they are a temp probe. They need to be reconnected.

For the PSI harness connectors in the picture in the front of the engine:
I can’t really tell for sure - Read the PSI manual to figure out what they are. There is a diagram in the beginning. I think the orange one is alternator, so that one is unused. I think the green one may be the MAF, so that will be plugged in later. One of the two two-wire ones is the VSS. The VSS has to be cut and wired to the ECB box. VSS connector should have one green and one purple wire.

Of the circle bundle of wires, you need a couple. There is a table in the back of the PSI manual that tells you what is what. See the ACE connection guide to see what to splice.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
For the connections in the trans:
Leave the circular Land Rover connection in the transmission. The two square black connectors go in the transfer case - I think they are a temp probe. They need to be reconnected.

For the PSI harness connectors in the picture in the front of the engine:
I can’t really tell for sure - Read the PSI manual to figure out what they are. There is a diagram in the beginning. I think the orange one is alternator, so that one is unused. I think the green one may be the MAF, so that will be plugged in later. One of the two two-wire ones is the VSS. The VSS has to be cut and wired to the ECB box. VSS connector should have one green and one purple wire.

Of the circle bundle of wires, you need a couple. There is a table in the back of the PSI manual that tells you what is what. See the ACE connection guide to see what to splice.
Captain Aaron,

Thank you for the reply. I have now gone through and labeled the connectors on the PSI Harness and now understand what I am working with. I will hopefully get a bit more time this week to work on the final connections.

I have looked all over the transfer case and there are no connection points for the two black connectors, These were originally connected to the Disco harness that i sent to ACE for modification and what was returned from ACE no longer has a connection point to attach these to so i am truly stumped on these.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by IamGoose
Captain Aaron,

Thank you for the reply. I have now gone through and labeled the connectors on the PSI Harness and now understand what I am working with. I will hopefully get a bit more time this week to work on the final connections.

I have looked all over the transfer case and there are no connection points for the two black connectors, These were originally connected to the Disco harness that i sent to ACE for modification and what was returned from ACE no longer has a connection point to attach these to so i am truly stumped on these.
Here is a picture of what I was referring to on my truck. Those two black connectors look like they go in the temp sensor in the transfer case. That's actually not a part of the engine harness that you have to modify for the ACE swap. It's part of the transmission / transfer case harness that is left alone during the swap. I'm guessing they may have gotten pulled loose at some point maybe when you removed the rear O2 sensors plugs on the engine harness to send out.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just as an fyi, my 2004 transfer case does not have the temp sensor and thus those 2 connections are not used on my swap either.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion