Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Is anyone already running or considering some kind of digital monitoring solution like Ultragauge? If so what side would you be hoooking up to? GM or Rover?

Old 06-27-2022, 08:45 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

First drive!

Btw I'm working with mailordertuner.com for the tune and Casey has been great to deal with.

Last edited by Boostle; 06-27-2022 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:45 AM
Mudding
whowa004 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 02:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

That exhaust sounds amazing. Very clean setup, Boostle.

Boostle (06-27-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 08:47 PM
Mudding

First WOT pull.

Truck is running perfect. Zero idle issues. I'm using a wiring specialties standalone harness. I soldered all my connections.

Shifts as expected. A little lazy, but hey what do you expect?

Last edited by Boostle; 06-28-2022 at 08:53 PM.
losinov (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 01:55 PM
Mudding

Hey guys one problem that I'm having is that this stock pedal does not have enough throw to reach 100% open on my 102mm LS throttle body. Do you guys don't have any ideas on how to increase the throw?

I tried removing the stops on the pedal that are green plastic and also cutting the carpet so the pedal can move all the way to the floor. I still have about an inch to go before the throttle body is wide open.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
Is anyone already running or considering some kind of digital monitoring solution like Ultragauge? If so what side would you be hoooking up to? GM or Rover?
You should hook up the GM side for monitor. The Rover side will read some erroneous values. I wouldn't use an ultraguage with the GM stuff though. I have found that found some reason with the GM stuff, the ultraguage does not like to enter sleep mode and instead just stays on and drains the battery. Would recommend looking into something else for monitoring for GM.

Originally Posted by Boostle
Hey guys one problem that I'm having is that this stock pedal does not have enough throw to reach 100% open on my 102mm LS throttle body. Do you guys don't have any ideas on how to increase the throw?

I tried removing the stops on the pedal that are green plastic and also cutting the carpet so the pedal can move all the way to the floor. I still have about an inch to go before the throttle body is wide open.
Pretty sure this is one of the reasons ACE has the factory throttle body on the parts list. I've heard from Todd that several people that have gone with aftermarket throttle bodies have had issues with them - vacuum leaks, this throw issue, issues with the throttle sensor alignment. I think the solution would be probably to make a new attachment point for your throttle cable on the throttle body. You might have to fab a small bracket.

Looks like your swap is going well otherwise!

Boostle (06-29-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LS swap question. If ACE is monitoring please chime in. Found out in my Speartech stand alone LS harness that the VSS wire harness with a purple and a yellow wire that Yellow is pin 21 or high. I have been driving around with these swapped to the ECB since I was just reading when I hooked them up and Purple in most cases was high. Well assumption made an *** out of me at least. Question I have is could this cause the M and S to flash with D flashing? Also if the vehicle is running and I clear the codes I can use the Mode button normally and all is well with only the Sport light on. Tach and Speedometer work normally. WTH? Anyway I am switching them atm and will see what happens next. Does this kill my ECB? Any help is appreciated. Running an L33 and a TerraFirma 3" lift kit. Fantastic performance with just the one issue. Hope this is the issue and I haven't F'ed up the ECB. Important note is that I raised the idle to 750 in HP tuners as advised in the swap instructions and all other parameters for transmission were verified at the time. Also I would guess it wouldn't matter whch way the crank sensor is bolted to the bracket as in wires toward the block or away from the block? Besides the rod knocking on the old 4.0 there were no codes and the truck drove just fine.

So I switched the wires and soldered. No change in the issue. Another thing is if I clear the codes on the Rover ECU with the key on and engine not running the lights stop flashing and I can have the sport mode selected and light on. When I start the engine the lights start flashing and I have to clear the codes again while the engine is running. Could the ignition switch be dropping power at startup or is the crank position sensor code that I get along with all the other nuisance codes causing the problem. I get 19 or so codes from having the rover ECU not running sensors but not sure if the CKPS is supposed to be coming up. It is adjusted at .016 and everything else works once the codes are cleared. Anyone having similar issues. Beautiful swap though and will get it worked out hopefully. Don't want to have to clear the codes every time. My code reader will not access the ABS or Transmission so I cant look at those but the codes that it can access on the Rover ECU once cleared make the problem go away. ODD

Last edited by Elderair; 06-30-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:13 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What components are required for the exhaust outlet in the rear quarter panel. I really like it and wish to update mine and remove the rear resonator from the system. Same reason to get rid of the rear tail pipe clearance issues on a decent. Thanks for any information on the outlet components.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Elderair
What components are required for the exhaust outlet in the rear quarter panel. I really like it and wish to update mine and remove the rear resonator from the system. Same reason to get rid of the rear tail pipe clearance issues on a decent. Thanks for any information on the outlet components.
Exhaust Pipe Fender Exit Bezel Turbo Dump Trim Ring Billet 3 1/2 Flange 551197 https://a.co/d/cN9ViXG
Requires some custom fab for the pipe section.

Elderair (06-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion