Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 09:34 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pending LS swap

Be sure to order some of the lengthened bump stops for the front axle while you're at it. Even with the 3" TF lift I managed to hit a few times differential to oil pan before I upgraded my suspension stops. I actually just welded some channel to the plates on the diff and kept the stock stop pads but then saw that Lucky 8 offers a set of longer poly bump stops. Just one more thing to do before much driving. I've been daily driving mine ever since fixing the flashing M&S lights by simply re routing the positive cable from the starter to the battery. I had it zipped to the braided transmission oil cooler lines and it ran about 4" close to the crank position sensor for the Rover transmission signal. Moved it to go over the top of the passenger side motor mount and problem instantly disappeared! Thanks again to those who persisted that this could easily be the problem.

The following users liked this post:
CPTKAOS (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTKAOS
I must have missed it, but what intake and throttle body are you using? looks great! Thanks!
​​​​​​
They are all probably the same but I got this one specifically:

A-Team Performance - Intake Manifold 102mm Throttle Body Sheet Metal Fabricated EFI 15° Throttle Opening - Compatible with Chevrolet Chevy GMC Pontiac LS LS1 LS2 LS6 Black

https://a.co/d/aGvgtbw

Old 01-30-2023, 12:50 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

cool thanks! I got the tall one. with the 92mm body, but same brand!

Old 01-30-2023, 02:56 PM
Drifting

I dont have my. kit yet so I cant see converter to bell housing clearance, but can the bell housing be cut out and clearances for more driveshaft space?

Old 01-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Elderair
Be sure to order some of the lengthened bump stops for the front axle while you're at it. Even with the 3" TF lift I managed to hit a few times differential to oil pan before I upgraded my suspension stops. I actually just welded some channel to the plates on the diff and kept the stock stop pads but then saw that Lucky 8 offers a set of longer poly bump stops. Just one more thing to do before much driving. I've been daily driving mine ever since fixing the flashing M&S lights by simply re routing the positive cable from the starter to the battery. I had it zipped to the braided transmission oil cooler lines and it ran about 4" close to the crank position sensor for the Rover transmission signal. Moved it to go over the top of the passenger side motor mount and problem instantly disappeared! Thanks again to those who persisted that this could easily be the problem.
Which oil pan do you have? I have the wolf design low profile pan and have no clearance issues fully flexed out on 3" lift.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:08 PM
Drifting

so I have a 2" TF HD lift and I got one of the knockoff F-Body style pans that is shallow and has extra clearance for low cars...we shall see I guess

Old 01-30-2023, 06:51 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LS swap oil pan

I bought the gm performance pan listed in the paperwork through rockauto.com and diff contacted the pan with stock springs which was stated would happen right in the build manual. Went 3" TF and added the channel iron to the axle pads just before I took a trip to Colorado for some mild rock climbing. I have since added a cdl from a 2004 and it is nearly hoe I want it. Should have my ARB front bumper soon as well.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Optional accessory setup I wanted to share. Thanks to Boostle for the ideas from his build and all of the help answering my many questions last couple of months! I went with the GM alternator and Holley 22-101, but decided to use ICT 551799-3 bracket with manual tensioner. This allowed the GM tensioner to be deleted. Reason I made the change, the neck of the Holley 22-101 waterpump and belt were very close and required a tab to be welded in for the necessary space. This change allows plenty of clearance all around. Sorry I don’t have the belt on these pics. I took it off to finish tightening everything but belt size used is 88.5” (885K6) (6PK2250).

The following 2 users liked this post by 04disco2va:
Boostle (01-31-2023), losinov (02-04-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 10:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Accessory drive options?

Have a little bit of a question. All my idler pulleys off the old engine are worn out and since the ace kit calls to repurpose them for the accessory drive, it’s going to run me about $130. At that price, I’m considering this kit right here which may clean up installation a little bit. Has anyone gone down this path?

https://www.lssimple.net/click-here-...ee-shipping-us

Old 02-10-2023, 11:44 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jensen Vermont Stenberg
Have a little bit of a question. All my idler pulleys off the old engine are worn out and since the ace kit calls to repurpose them for the accessory drive, it’s going to run me about $130. At that price, I’m considering this kit right here which may clean up installation a little bit. Has anyone gone down this path?

https://www.lssimple.net/click-here-...ee-shipping-us

Nice find... Looks like this would accept the LR AC compressor and sets everything up basically the same way the ACE kit does. I like the looks of this too because it allows you to use the GM power steering pump.. While still looking almost identical to how the kit gets us setup.
Only thing I'm thinking about is this note:
Front Drivers side coil pack relocation may be required..
I might just get this myself...

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion