Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 07:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Wanted to thank you all / forum for all of the amazing information that was such a huge help through this swap. Just had tune completed and no warning lights! This is especially noteworthy for my mediocre driveway mechanic skills.
Did my first freeway drive and what a difference being able to merge in traffic and be at 75 pretty effortlessly.

Do have a few remaining issues to work through.
- Temp is solid at 208, local stop and go traffic, on the freeway at 75 with ambient temp in the high 80s. When I turn the A/C temps slowly rise, at 224 I turn the AC off and temperature slowly returns to 208.
- Wide open throttle issue, looking closely at CPTKAOS latest post and pics.
- small leak on the high pressure steering line.
- finding a place for the GM harness fuse box in the interior and overall wiring cleanup / management.

Look forward to getting some miles on.

L33 5.3 Long Block crate motor.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:23 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome job! Get a fan shroud on that radiator and it’ll help temps a lot. Are you running the stock fan/clutch? If so consider another fan controlled by the gm computer to help temps. Great work!

Old 05-03-2023, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Put a scan gauge or whatever on the gm computer and move throttle through motions. Almost certain you’ll have like 50-60% throttle. I’m at the the tuners as we speak working on my tune.

Old 05-03-2023, 03:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
Wanted to thank you all / forum for all of the amazing information that was such a huge help through this swap. Just had tune completed and no warning lights! This is especially noteworthy for my mediocre driveway mechanic skills.
Did my first freeway drive and what a difference being able to merge in traffic and be at 75 pretty effortlessly.

Do have a few remaining issues to work through.
- Temp is solid at 208, local stop and go traffic, on the freeway at 75 with ambient temp in the high 80s. When I turn the A/C temps slowly rise, at 224 I turn the AC off and temperature slowly returns to 208.
- Wide open throttle issue, looking closely at CPTKAOS latest post and pics.
- small leak on the high pressure steering line.
- finding a place for the GM harness fuse box in the interior and overall wiring cleanup / management.

Look forward to getting some miles on.

L33 5.3 Long Block crate motor.

As far as the temps. Ive been driving my swap now for 2 years. I had high temps also, issue is airflow. I added a allisport radiator and a flowkooler water pump and didnt really help temps. The winch and lights disrupt airflow quite a bit. I ended up getting a medium duty fan clutch and new fan and temps are 190-205. If Im planning high temp excursions in the summer I'll put the heavy duty fan clutch on. I dont have it on most of year bc it can be noisier. Here are the models
Hayden Automotive 2781 Premium Fan Clutch Hayden Automotive 2781 Premium Fan Clutch
Hayden Automotive 2991 Premium Fan Clutch Hayden Automotive 2991 Premium Fan Clutch
Dorman 621-104 Engine Cooling Fan Blade Compatible with Select Cadillac / Chevrolet / GMC Models Dorman 621-104 Engine Cooling Fan Blade Compatible with Select Cadillac / Chevrolet / GMC Models
. They resolved the high temps...

Old 05-04-2023, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CPTKAOS
Put a scan gauge or whatever on the gm computer and move throttle through motions. Almost certain you’ll have like 50-60% throttle. I’m at the the tuners as we speak working on my tune.
Thanks CPTKAOS…hear you on the fan shroud. Your correct on the throttle, I’m getting 60%. Been looking at your posts and talking to the tuner I’ve been using to see if we can improve.
Look forward to your next update !

Old 05-04-2023, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the info Rynoman1. Hear you on the lights blocking radiator. Interesting that the allisport radiator didn’t help temps much. I’ve always wanted one!
Had a Flowkooler pump in the Rover motor along with the 2991 Hayden and was happy with the cooling. Hated how loud it was though.
Hoping the electric fan setup with the LS would be a good option. Tuner I’m using changed it from single fan to dual and has a few ideas. So hopefully we’ll figure out why temps climb with A/C on.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:19 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the info Rynoman1. Hear you on the lights blocking radiator. Interesting that the allisport radiator didn’t help temps much. I’ve always wanted one!
Had a Flowkooler pump in the Rover motor along with the 2991 Hayden and was happy with the cooling. Hated how loud it was though.
Hoping the electric fan setup with the LS would be a good option. Tuner I’m using changed it from single fan to dual and has a few ideas. So hopefully we’ll figure out why temps climb with A/C on.

the derailed setup with a shroud and two fans is perfect and I have gm controlling it. As for the throttle, it’s a physical problem. No amount of adjusting innthe software or linkage will get you there. The throttle can needs to be changed out

Old 05-05-2023, 05:19 AM
Drifting

Sorry “Derale” not derailed

Old 05-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CPTKAOS
Sorry “Derale” not derailed
Which Derale fan shroud combo did you use? Some of the ones I looked at were 4” thick, space would be tight !

Thanks

Old 05-06-2023, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Which Derale fan shroud combo did you use? Some of the ones I looked at were 4” thick, space would be tight !

Thanks
I have the 16842 model. I had to clearance some of the plastic on one of the fans to get it to slide past the waterpump snout. And I drilled out the shroud rivers to pinch it a littl where it meets the radiator. Fits perfect. Today at 82 degrees with the ac on its running 198 sitting in mild traffic.

The following users liked this post:
04disco2va (05-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion