Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
03/04 sleeves Can slip.
I had my 04, 4.6 bare block beside my 4.0 bare block(which I disassembled)...and they are identical, inside and out other than exterior casting numbers.
Both have the inner ridges cast into the block below the sleeves.
Negative on that from what I'm seeing, 03/04 can not slip (possibly back to 01), the sleeve actually is physically captive by the block itself. From what I'm looking at I don't see it having anywhere to go except up. From what I've read online, folks are saying the same, they can crack behind the liners as mine did but can't slip. ? I think it may go back as far as the year 2001 when the update was made but I'm not sure of that specifically. I know for sure looking at my 04 in the garage right now, they're captive. If there was any upward play between the top of the liner and the block, that could provide a path for movement but due to the taper, I'm finding it hard to confirm the gap if any. In theory the headgasket shouldn't become involved and the top of the liner should barely mate to the top of the head again leaving no room for liner movement, this part I'm unsure of.

Interestingly though I see online folks here on the forum claiming slipped liners, unless the block lip cracks off I don't see a physical way for that to occur. This guy seems to strongly believe that newer blocks can't slip either. http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...-failures.html

What year is your 4.0? Guessing it's a later year? If so then good, it too wouldn't slip and then that's why you're seeing them look identical.

For kicks, I used a punch just now and gave the lip holding the liner up a dent to see how much meat it's holding it by. It's a pretty substantial amount, more than 1mm all around which means... no way in hell could a sleeve make it past there.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-08-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Here's a cut away showing what holds it from slipping. I don't have affirmation of exactly when this change was updated but I know all 03/04 blocks can't slip.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:47 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

My 4.0 is a 2000
yes, they both can slip up, I don't see them being able to move down.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K

Here's a cut away showing what holds it from slipping. I don't have affirmation of exactly when this change was updated but I know all 03/04 blocks can't slip.
my disk is 2003 4.6 that means that this update avoids that movement which is the one that sounds in motors 9 to 02 when they are hot, I am not sure if in 4.6 it makes that defect. for now i think i'm lucky and i don't have a problem with the block only damage to metals due to lack of lubrication of the oil pump. Hopefully if everything works out, adapt the thermostat so that this damage works cooler. a good thermostat to work cold if possible an aluminum radiator and a couple of additional fans

Old 07-08-2020, 05:02 PM
Drifting

my disk is 2003 4.6 that means that this update avoids that movement which is the one that sounds in motors 9 to 02 when they are hot, I am not sure if in 4.6 it makes that defect. for now i think i'm lucky and i don't have a problem with the block only damage to metals due to lack of lubrication of the oil pump. Hopefully if everything works out, adapt the thermostat so that this damage works cooler. a good thermostat to work cold if possible an aluminum radiator and a couple of additional fans

Old 07-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling

My 4.0 is a 2000
yes, they both can slip up, I don't see them being able to move down.
Well, certainly the problem is GREATLY reduced then, do we know how much it can still move? Must be down to 1/1000 of an inch I would think/hope? What a bummer that it still can move SOME instead of not at all.

With them being unable to slip down and movement reduced, I would think we'd see many engines able to be saved and pinned etc. I know there's mixed results on pinning blocks but when I looked at it, I wished that's what the culprit was on mine because I feel quite confident I could have pinned it. A crack blocked though..... that's that.

So we should more accurately state they can't "drop" but they still can come loose and slip etc. Still an issue.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-08-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Toms

Well, I've the complete 4.6 engine low miles except the cracked block. If you're interested in something let me know, at least some good could come of my situation with my unlucky motor I owned only one week before it blew up. lol

Old 07-09-2020, 07:13 AM
TReK

Well, certainly the problem is GREATLY reduced then, do we know how much it can still move? Must be down to 1/1000 of an inch I would think/hope? What a bummer that it still can move SOME instead of not at all.

With them being unable to slip down and movement reduced, I would think we'd see many engines able to be saved and pinned etc. I know there's mixed results on pinning blocks but when I looked at it, I wished that's what the culprit was on mine because I feel quite confident I could have pinned it. A crack blocked though..... that's that.

So we should more accurately state they can't "drop" but they still can come loose and slip etc. Still an issue.
I pinned all 8 of mine prior to the rebuild, trying to stop what turned out to be worn bearing noise, not a slipped sleeve tapping.
The sleeves can definately come up more than a thousandth too, based on pictures I've seen, where the sleeve hammers into the bottom of the head gasket as it moves up and down.
So much so that I would guess they can move at least .015 to .020", maybe even a little more.
Really the head and head gasket are the only thing limiting it's travel up anyway(obviously, lol), so however far it can punch into whatever material type and thickness of the head gasket.
I think the cracked blocks can be repaired with the top-hat sleeves with o-rings, and I have not read of those failing.
I was actually going to buy a set from a member here, but had the same problem he did, no machine shops within several hours of me would do it.
I'm also curious of the o-ring's life span in that kind of heat, especially if the sleeve is surrounded by coolant from a cracked block, and the o-ring is all that stops it from leaking out of the bottom of the sleeve.
As said, mine was seeping coolant between 3 sleeves and the block, and out of the top, not the bottom(at least from what I could see).
Extinct is still supposed to get that block too, and he said he has some tests in mind to learn more about the issue, so his results should be interesting.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 07-09-2020 at 07:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Toms (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:07 AM
Drifting

I pinned all 8 of mine prior to the rebuild, trying to stop what turned out to be worn bearing noise, not a slipped sleeve tapping.
The sleeves can definately come up more than a thousandth too, based on pictures I've seen, where the sleeve hammers into the bottom of the head gasket as it moves up and down.
So much so that I would guess they can move at least .015 to .020", maybe even a little more.
Really the head and head gasket are the only thing limiting it's travel up anyway(obviously, lol), so however far it can punch into whatever material type and thickness of the head gasket.
I think the cracked blocks can be repaired with the top-hat sleeves with o-rings, and I have not read of those failing.
I was actually going to buy a set from a member here, but had the same problem he did, no machine shops within several hours of me would do it.
I'm also curious of the o-ring's life span in that kind of heat, especially if the sleeve is surrounded by coolant from a cracked block, and the o-ring is all that stops it from leaking out of the bottom of the sleeve.
As said, mine was seeping coolant between 3 sleeves and the block, and out of the top, not the bottom(at least from what I could see).
Extinct is still supposed to get that block too, and he said he has some tests in mind to learn more about the issue, so his results should be interesting.
I even thought about looking for an engine to defend to adopt it, they say that they are excellent engines, I would not mind that it was carbureted

Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Toms
I even thought about looking for an engine to defend to adopt it, they say that they are excellent engines, I would not mind that it was carbureted
What kind of engine??

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion