Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 12:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Accessory Drive

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
Nice find... Looks like this would accept the LR AC compressor and sets everything up basically the same way the ACE kit does. I like the looks of this too because it allows you to use the GM power steering pump.. While still looking almost identical to how the kit gets us setup.
Only thing I'm thinking about is this note:
Front Drivers side coil pack relocation may be required..
I might just get this myself...
that was my thought, the LS and the Rover both use Denso AC compressors so they should be relatively close. The kit doesn’t look like it pulls the alternator in as tightly as the Holley bracket, so that still might be a better option for that side. I did email the company and ask if they would sell just the AC side of that kit, will wait and see what they say. I’m still working on my wiring harnesses, so if you get to it before I do, please report back! Another thing worth noting is I’ve heard that the gm power steering pump reservoirs get a bit too close to the rover frame rails, but the van pumps run a remote reservoir that may work better in this application.

fwiw, they said they would knock $100 off the price of you only buy the air conditioning side of the drive system.

Last edited by Jensen Vermont Stenberg; 02-10-2023 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Jensen Vermont Stenberg
Have a little bit of a question. All my idler pulleys off the old engine are worn out and since the ace kit calls to repurpose them for the accessory drive, it’s going to run me about $130. At that price, I’m considering this kit right here which may clean up installation a little bit. Has anyone gone down this path?

https://www.lssimple.net/click-here-...ee-shipping-us
The power steering pump / pulley setup looks too low on that setup to me. I'm not sure that would make it around the power steering box. If you notice on the ACE setup, the power steering pump / pulley is nearly even vertically with the water pump pulley.

Old 02-11-2023, 01:15 PM
Default P/s pump location

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
The power steering pump / pulley setup looks too low on that setup to me. I'm not sure that would make it around the power steering box. If you notice on the ACE setup, the power steering pump / pulley is nearly even vertically with the water pump pulley.

hmmmm…you are correct….according to my calibrated eye-crometer this kit appears to locate the pump in the same location as the Gm. I know there are a few guys who have retained the LS components so maybe they could chime in on the clearance? But now it seems this could be a question of diminishing returns……the point of the ACE kit is to keep from having make new hoses. If the LS pump clears in the factory LS location…….maybe it would be cheaper to use the LS accessory drive and get new hoses made to accommodate the new locations……. I’ll be doing a few test fits when the engine gets here.

The following users liked this post:
04disco2va (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling

hmmmm…you are correct….according to my calibrated eye-crometer this kit appears to locate the pump in the same location as the Gm. I know there are a few guys who have retained the LS components so maybe they could chime in on the clearance? But now it seems this could be a question of diminishing returns……the point of the ACE kit is to keep from having make new hoses. If the LS pump clears in the factory LS location…….maybe it would be cheaper to use the LS accessory drive and get new hoses made to accommodate the new locations……. I’ll be doing a few test fits when the engine gets here.
It's a very tight fit down there with the larger LS and the power steering box.

LS truck power steering pump will not clear in the factory LS location. It hits the power steering box. It's not close to fitting. It would have to move up inches.

Factory truck LS accessory setup won't work - A/C compressor is on the bottom passenger side and in the way of other stuff as well and most are not the correct type (variable displacement vs fixed). Custom brackets are required. I made a bracket for the LS truck alternator. Still working on the A/C / power steering side.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:25 PM
Default Appreciate the insight.

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
It's a very tight fit down there with the larger LS and the power steering box.

LS truck power steering pump will not clear in the factory LS location. It hits the power steering box. It's not close to fitting. It would have to move up inches.

Factory truck LS accessory setup won't work - A/C compressor is on the bottom passenger side and in the way of other stuff as well and most are not the correct type (variable displacement vs fixed). Custom brackets are required. I made a bracket for the LS truck alternator. Still working on the A/C / power steering side.

appreciate the insight! Not super keen on dropping the money on the new idler pulleys to scab the rover brackets in there if there is a chance I could put that money towards a cleaner setup.

is it the GM reservoir that fouls or the pulley pump body? Perhaps a Van pump would clear? They are designed to work with a remote reservoir?

Last edited by Jensen Vermont Stenberg; 02-11-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling

appreciate the insight! Not super keen on dropping the money on the new idler pulleys to scab the rover brackets in there if there is a chance I could put that money towards a cleaner setup.

is it the GM reservoir that fouls or the pulley pump body? Perhaps a Van pump would clear? They are designed to work with a remote reservoir?

The pump body and pulley. There is probably an inch or two between the side of the block and the power steering box at one point. You can sort of see the limited space in a picture in post #1223. That's why the ACE bracket is high on that side. Even the small Rover pump had to be rotated to fit and it doesn't have a lot of room.

You could eliminate the idler and tensioner on the alternator side by doing something similar to post #53 here - https://landroverforums.com/forum/en...s-99712/page6/.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:41 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much faster is it? Are we talking like driving a good-running Silverado here?

Old 03-02-2023, 09:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

It's less about speed and more about usability. The D2 will never be fast given its gearing and front profile, but the LS makes a kitted-out D2 livable around town. I used the GM 6L80e transmission and am able to pass traffic going over mountain passes in Colorado. That would be impossible with the stock motor.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlutty3
How much faster is it? Are we talking like driving a good-running Silverado here?
If your looking for speed buy a vehicle made for it... This puts reliability and being able to have some fun with it without the worry

Old 03-02-2023, 09:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, I've used the GM P/S pump and alternator with the Dirty Dingo high mount bracket (moved the AC to the pass side with a Sanden compressor). I had to trim the alternator mount a bit to move it down but it clears without a problem. I have another post here on the fittings needed to go from the GM pump to Rover's high pressure line.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion