Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
In sourcing an engine, I'd prefer the aluminum blocked versions of the 5.3 (L33/LM4) but those come at a premium and are harder to source locally. Is the 80lb weight savings really important, or am I ok with just buying an iron blocked LM7?
I'm in the same boat.

It's 110lbs not 80lbs though from what I'm seeing in some sources, either way not huge but a noteworthy amount of weight difference.

Furthermore even the aluminum block is quite a bit heavier than the 4.6 from what I'm seeing, then the iron block is 80-110lbs heavier than that, sources vary.
LR V8 4.6 =385lbs
LM7 = 560lbs

That's a pretty big gap so knocking about 100lbs off the difference is a huge help in getting the vehicle back to it's factory spec weight. Something to think about. Sadly it means having to find a cable driven harness/throttle body/sensors etc which adds a couple hundred more to the mix aside from the increase in the engine cost of a few hundred bucks at least. Tough call, I'm weighing it out this week pretty heavily.

Now if you are planning on adding a rack, high lift, roof tent, larger tires etc. You can very easily be going from a nearly 5000lb curb weight to 5400lbs, plus that heavy motor up front for another couple hundred lbs. Now add two or more people and a few hundred lbs worth the food and camping supplies. 6000lb land rover would be quite reasonable to expect for overland work. That's a lot of weight on stock drivetrain and such. When it comes to breaking components, every pound counts, breaking a axle or not breaking an axle comes down to that very last pound of weight at some point. Something to consider at least but also to put into perspective.

It would be cost effective to just have the wife go jogging more and save a few lbs up front that way. Uh oh the Wife police are going to murder me!

-Greg

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 08-14-2019 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wjsj69 (09-23-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:40 PM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

Only thing holding me back right now is my current engine , it’s not blown up so I’m hesitating ripping it out unless I knew someone wanted it

Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

If you just hang on to it a little longer it'll be the last Rover V8 that hasn't blown up! It'll be worth millions!!!!!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Winching

After this kits become really successful I doubt they would be worth anything , plus I need the money for how i plan on doing the swap

Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would an LQ4 engine work with this kit? I know the torque is a bit passed the threshold of the 4hp24 that's in my 04... would getting a 4L60e be a good idea? I know you said many transmissions will work with this, but beyond a 4hp24, it requires more work.

(Sorry if the LQ4 question was brought up before, the thread search function doesn't search for under 4 characters)

Old 08-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Winching

The engine I’m going with will have around 385 horsepower And 360 torque. So I’d also be interested in the best way to go about this involving the transmission

Old 08-15-2019, 08:21 AM
5th Gear

I did find this company north of New York that builds/upgrades 4hp24 transmissions. I wonder how much power their torque converter can add to the range of our trans
https://www.levelten.com/Land_Rover_...g310-9000s.htm

I'm sure this company is all over this forum, but I'm new, so what do I know.

UPDATE: after calling and asking about the torque converter and valves for the 4hp24, one of the mechanics said the max power allowed after would be 520hp and 500ft-lbs.

here's the link for the valve body: https://www.levelten.com/Level_10_La...-g210-9000.htm

Excellent customer service and very friendly people.

Last edited by JagRover; 08-15-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRover
Would an LQ4 engine work with this kit? I know the torque is a bit passed the threshold of the 4hp24 that's in my 04... would getting a 4L60e be a good idea? I know you said many transmissions will work with this, but beyond a 4hp24, it requires more work.
(Sorry if the LQ4 question was brought up before, the thread search function doesn't search for under 4 characters)

Originally Posted by escott16
The engine I’m going with will have around 385 horsepower And 360 torque. So I’d also be interested in the best way to go about this involving the transmission

The LQ4 will physically bolt up with the kit. The torque would be over the 4HP24 max rating though.

The electrical is not the problem here, we can support the LQ4 (and different transmissions to an extent). The issue is making the drivetrain fit together. A 4L80e is too long and requires the transfer case to move back and the driveshaft lengths change (which changes a bunch of other things as well). A 4L60e is too wide and conflicts with the transfer case, which means to fit it you would have to use another lengthy adapter, forcing you into the same situation as with the 4L80e.

The 4.8/5.3 makes very similar power to the 4.6 and the 4HP24 seems to be very accepting of taking that kind of increase in power. It may be capable of a bit beyond that, but we haven’t experimented with it. A lot of it also depends on how the vehicle is driven, mileage on the transmission, and servicing. Also, 4HP24s are cheap and fairly plentiful.

I did find this company north of New York that builds/upgrades 4hp24 transmissions. I wonder how much power their torque converter can add to the range of our trans
https://www.levelten.com/Land_Rover_...g310-9000s.htm
I'm sure this company is all over this forum, but I'm new, so what do I know.

UPDATE: after calling and asking about the torque converter and valves for the 4hp24, one of the mechanics said the max power allowed after would be 520hp and 500ft-lbs.
here's the link for the valve body: https://www.levelten.com/Level_10_La...-g210-9000.htm
Excellent customer service and very friendly people.

They were very friendly when we talked with them as well. They seem to have fairly unique approaches to the valvebody upgrade. We haven’t used them, but if we do some more powerful builds, I am sure we will reach out again.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by escott16
Just curious , how much would my 03 4.6 be worth if I sold it after the swap, 67k miles no knocking , original head gasket, or price if I replaced the gasket before selling
I think that engine could easily be worth $2-3k. If you really are committed to the swap, I would post a video online with an oil pressure gauge connected, another one with the truck driving in 95 degree heat showing no overheating. Some people will be comfortable with modifying their trucks, but I doubt independent LR shops are ever going to advise a customer to do a swap versus just putting another engine in. Your engine would be perfect for someone that loves their truck but doesn't have the time or skills to do a swap.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 10:47 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
The LQ4 will physically bolt up with the kit. The torque would be over the 4HP24 max rating though.

I wouldn't mind diving into this setup and trying out either the LQ4 engine or just waiting and finding an L33 one. Either way, I'll be going above the recommended levels just to test out how the 4hp24 will do with the valvebody modification. My disco does have 150k on it so my transmission should be a good test for the power, since it has some age to it.

Right now piecing things together then I will order the kit.

Thanks AC

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion